Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Clutch Noise When Shifting at higher rpm

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 09:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch Noise When Shifting at higher rpm

Hey All,

Just curious what everyone makes of this noise in the attached youtube link.

Pretty much when your in the higher rpm range, say 4k+, when pushing in the clutch pedal, I have this strange gurgling/vibration noise and some vibration in the clutch pedal itself. In the video I have exaggerated the shifts a bit so its clearer, but near the end of the video, I am simply pushing the clutch pedal in and releasing (no gear change).

Curious to hear everyone's thoughts. The noise clearly seems to be resonating from the clutch pedal area. Nothing is clearly loose or would immediately stand out as a a source of vibration, so I am not sure if it is noise from the trans, clutch components or what.

Car is a 2005 Coupe with 28k

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by 240driver39; 01-06-2010 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Updated video
Old 01-08-2010, 11:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What flywheel are you currently using? If you have an aftermarket, single-mass, flywheel then the sound isn't that unusual because these units are not dampened like the stock dual-mass flywheels. If you still have the stock flywheel then this sound is likely evidencing the break-down of the dampening mechanism that typically works to cancel out NVH.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:55 PM
Flywheel is stock and I definitely appreciate the information. Coincidentally, one of the instances where I found someone had this issue(all stock) , it was resolved after a few trips to the dealer when they eventually replaced the flywheel.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
What flywheel are you currently using? If you have an aftermarket, single-mass, flywheel then the sound isn't that unusual because these units are not dampened like the stock dual-mass flywheels. If you still have the stock flywheel then this sound is likely evidencing the break-down of the dampening mechanism that typically works to cancel out NVH.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:11 AM
have you gone to the dealership yet? Have they decided to do anything?

I had my transmission replaced under warranty a couple months ago and had them install the clutch for me at the same time. Decided to keep the stock flywheel because of the dampening feature, but didnt want to pay $1200 for a new one. Well after I got the car back, and breaking the clutch in for 500+ miles, I got on it and it did exactly what yours is doing. Vibration with the clutch disengaged. I showed it to the dealer that did the work and of course they are blaming it on the clutch since I didnt buy it from them. It is OEM that I ordered online. I also get the vibration sitting still, clutch pedal in, rev the motor, anywhere above 5K rpm. Clutch pedal out rev the motor in neutral and I dont get the noise.

Last edited by A.Chambers; 01-28-2010 at 09:12 AM. Reason: rpm
Old 01-28-2010, 05:56 PM
Well, I went to the dealer before I posted this for a 30k service and to report this problem.

So the service guy wrote down that i heard a whine from the trans (which wasn't what i told him) and I got a call later in the day telling me they were going to replace the trans for a "whine" when they got one in next week. Well this didn't really describe the problem as you can hear, so I called them up during the week and asked to have the tech ride along and then drive the car.

When we went for a drive he definitely heard the noise, acknowledged that it wasn't normal, and that it was a different noise than he heard when he determined it needed a new trans. So we got back and he said he was going to have some other techs take it out when i brought it in for the trans service.

So, fast forward to earlier to this week, i brought the car in, and they put the new trans and I paid to install a new clutch. They finished it in a day. When they called I asked if they had determined what the other noise was and they answered yeah the trans was defective. I said okay and picked it up, but it didn't really seem like they looked into it any further.

So I am breaking in the clutch this week and I can clearly tell that they didn't fix the issue. I was going to wait till 500 miles so I could rag on it a bit more to definitely see if it still was doing it, but I am tempted to call them up tomorrow and bring it back in now. I am pretty annoyed, cause at the moment I have paid for a new clutch and the car is essentially in the same condition as when i first brought it in.

Sorry for the novel...

Old 01-28-2010, 07:27 PM
you dont even need to rag on it, you can duplicate the noise in your driveway. in neutral, clutch pedal out, rev the motor. no sound. Clutch pedal pushed in, rev the motor again, I get noise about 5k rpm.

Here is my guess....it's the flywheel.
Here is why...
Clutch pedal out = clutch contacts the flywheel making it one solid unit, which would keep the flywheel from vibrating.

Clutch pedal in = clutch not pressed to the flywheel. Flywheel spins freely, clutch has nothing spinning it. Flywheel vibrates.

sounds to me like an unbalanced flywheel. The flywheel IS covered under the 6 year 70k mile warranty. If I knew this before they replaced my transmission and tried to get me to pay for a flywheel, I would have had them replace the flywheel under warranty. Unfortunately I was told it was not under warranty, which I accepted because I see it as a wear item just like the clutch.

Anyone see any reason this would not be the case?

Old 02-05-2010, 12:46 AM
Dealer is now telling me that this noise is normal. Are other people hearing this? I'd appreciate some more input.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:59 AM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
Originally Posted by A.Chambers

Here is my guess....it's the flywheel.
Here is why...
Clutch pedal out = clutch contacts the flywheel making it one solid unit, which would keep the flywheel from vibrating.

Clutch pedal in = clutch not pressed to the flywheel. Flywheel spins freely, clutch has nothing spinning it. Flywheel vibrates.

sounds to me like an unbalanced flywheel.
That doesn't make sense. Isn't it the opposite?

Old 02-09-2010, 12:35 PM
dont think so. with the pedal out, the flywheel and the clutch disc are mated together, making one solid unit. Pedal in, the flywheel is turning with the engine, and the clutch is not connected to is therefor not spinning.

240, sorry to hear they say that is normal. Mine wasnt doing it before the new transmission either. Not happy with the way they have handled it, but there is not alot I can do. This summer I will probably be going with a lightweight flywheel and see if that takes care of it. Infiniti will not be doing the installation.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:08 PM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
Yea, you are correct, I didn't know what I was thinking...

Old 12-20-2020, 04:42 PM
G35C M/T
Okay so here and in this other thread people are saying it's normal for the clutch to make a loud noise when the pedal is pressed at 5000rpm...but I'm still freaked out. How loud is it supposed to be?

Below 5000rpm everything is silent, the clutch makes no noise whatsoever with the pedal down or up. In neutral, there is no noise whatsoever when revving to the limiter (besides the VQ's usual rough noises). Okay, maybe there is a bit of a chatter around 4000rpm, but it could easily be something else vibrating.

At 5000rpm, I get this loud groan/squeal/howl and the clutch pedal vibrates like crazy. It's louder than the engine and sounds kind of like a whiny power steering pump. I'm mentally prepared to put a new pressure plate/clutch/throwout bearing in, but I just find it perplexing that it would be so quiet in most situations.

Old 12-21-2020, 01:05 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,472 Likes on 2,163 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Does that noise only happen while pressing and releasing the pedal or does it happen when holding the pedal to the floor and not moving it?

Old 12-21-2020, 02:00 PM
G35C M/T
Originally Posted by cleric670
Does that noise only happen while pressing and releasing the pedal or does it happen when holding the pedal to the floor and not moving it?
Holding it to the floor. I think my clutch needs bleeding though, since the pedal engagement feels different depending on temperature. Is it supposed to only do that when partially engaged?

Old 12-21-2020, 06:21 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,472 Likes on 2,163 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Does it shift through each gear without grinding?

Old 12-21-2020, 08:49 PM
G35C M/T
Not always. The fluid level moves, the pedal engagement seems to move, and the gears sometimes grind, so I think the clutch isn't bled properly. Is the clutch supposed to wail when partially engaged at high rpm? I seem to recall no wailing noise on a hot day, though it might have been wailing only briefly and I didn't notice it over the engine's noise.

I'm having ByThaBay/Eugene/Infiniticare/Enthusiast Auto Care take a look this week, I suppose he would be able to tell me with more certainty. Not having to replace the clutch (which is supposed to have a lot of life left) would be nice.

Last edited by C_infty; 12-21-2020 at 09:04 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: Clutch Noise When Shifting at higher rpm