Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Matic D in my 5AT?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 02:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Matic D in my 5AT?

Hi all. New to the forum. Brand new owner of a 2006 X with 36K

I managed to get the maintenance sheet (all records) from my car as I bought it at an Infiniti dealer.

At about 33K, it lists a "trans flush". And the sheet says "Flushed trans with Matic D".

WTF? I know our cars are spec'd for Matic J (S now). Do you guys think this was just a typo by the service dept writer and the tech actually used the right fluid or what? The car drives and shifts fine. Ever heard of Matic D being used in our 5AT?

I guess I am going to do a bunch of drain/refills in a very short interval to be sure that everything is OK, but does anyone have any ideas WTF may have happened here and how likely this is to cause serious damage in the short term?

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to drop it back off and request a re-flush based on what some dealer in another state may or may not have done 3K miles ago so I'm stuck with doing this myself. And I hope that my powertrain warranty will remain in tact no matter what since this was done by a dealer, is that correct?

Thanks in advance for any help or insight you can give me!

Old 04-20-2010, 04:04 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Matic D should not be used according to the service manual. I think you have proof to file a claim... I would get matic S in there asap.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:08 PM
Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
^+1 asap!

Old 04-20-2010, 05:58 PM
Thanks guys. That's what I figured.

I looked at the sheet again..it actually says:

D Matic Trans Flush
C/S service trans
Trans service performed

Seems wierd to me since it's called matic D, not D matic as it says. Is there some type of flush machine called a "d matic" perhaps?

At any rate, better safe than sorry. I am headed out to do the first drain/refill right now. Probably will get 2 in tonight and 1-2 in this weekend with another 1-2 at the next oil change.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:48 AM
Did one drain/refill, went for a 10 minute cruise, and did another. Trans is still working perfectly as far as I can tell. Will get at least 2 more in shortly and call it good until the next oil change in 3K.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:52 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
d matic is like regular Dexron3 transmission oil

the J/S Matic is a different fluid

although the D Matic/Matic D will work okay for a bit, it doesn't offer the same protection the latter offers.

change that **** asap

Old 04-21-2010, 07:00 AM
Originally Posted by caketech
d matic is like regular Dexron3 transmission oil

the J/S Matic is a different fluid

although the D Matic/Matic D will work okay for a bit, it doesn't offer the same protection the latter offers.

change that **** asap
Thank you.

Working on it, ASAP.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im new to the g35 world built 240's a few years ago

where do you buy the different trans fluids at?

Old 05-06-2010, 02:59 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Since you bought the car at a infiniti dealership and the transmission flush was done at a infiniti dealership, it's highly unlikely they used matic D. As far as I know, no Infiniti trans uses Matic D except the AWD transfer cases in some models, and they flushing procedure for the transfer cases should be very different. I think you just experienced a typo in the software they use to write up service receipts

EDIT: So i just noticed you do have an AWD version. Maybe they serviced the AWD transfer case previously and it just prints out on the receipt as D Matic flush.

Old 05-10-2010, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by Structure
im new to the g35 world built 240's a few years ago

where do you buy the different trans fluids at?
You mean matic D and matic J/S?

Right from the Nissan dealer or Infiniti dealer.

Old 05-10-2010, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by miltoda
Since you bought the car at a infiniti dealership and the transmission flush was done at a infiniti dealership, it's highly unlikely they used matic D. As far as I know, no Infiniti trans uses Matic D except the AWD transfer cases in some models, and they flushing procedure for the transfer cases should be very different. I think you just experienced a typo in the software they use to write up service receipts

EDIT: So i just noticed you do have an AWD version. Maybe they serviced the AWD transfer case previously and it just prints out on the receipt as D Matic flush.
Thanks for the thoughts. That was kind of what I was hoping.

At any rate, I have done 4-5 drain and refills already, so I should be close to 90% new fluid from my calculations

I'm going to do 1-2 more next oil change and that should get me as close to a full change as it would be cost effective to try getting.

Car is still shifting just fine.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dang, you are going to have one clean tranny. I would have done the same in that situation.

Cheaper then buying a new tranny.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by BacaraG35
Dang, you are going to have one clean tranny. I would have done the same in that situation.

Cheaper then buying a new tranny.
Absolutely. A couple hundred bucks in fluid is nothing compared to a new Jatco 5AT.

It's par for the course though really. I have cooked enough transmissions in my life that I understand how important it is. My wife's Jeep XJ (AW4 trans) gets a drain and fill every other oil change (7666 miles) as does my turbocharged subaru (with 4EAT trans). The Infiniti is going on a regimen of 5K oil changes with German Castrol 0W30 and will also get an ATF drain and fill every other oil change (10K).

Some call it overkill. I call it cheap insurance. Takes like 20 minutes and a few bucks if there is a drain plug, so why the heck not if you plan on keeping the car? It's another thing entirely if you have to drop the pan to change the ATF, which we do not.

I want this G35X to run well in excess of 150K. And I put about 35K on per year at least.