Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Why is my G burning white smoke past 4.5k rpms?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 12:24 PM
Ink
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Why is my G burning white smoke past 4.5k rpms?

At first I thought it was my tires but after 3 different alignments, one being from Infiniti / Nissan it is still doing it.

I am sorry if I am posting in the wrong section but I don't know exactly where to post my issues. If a Mod needs to change it, do you what you have to do.

Here's my issue: Say when I get on the highway I rev til about 5k rpm until I shift, when I do this I get a strange smell in the the cabin and if I continue on the same gear I begin to start seeing white smoke behind me.

I have asked a few people to see where it is coming from and all of them say that it is from the front of the car, almost as if I am burning out on front wheel drive.

When I drive the car normally ( shift around 2.5k / 3k rpms) I don't have this problem. My car is an '03 and I don't think that it is an oil leak, but truthfully I don't really know.

I wanted to get some opinions on here first before I take it anywhere. The G I drive is an '03 and has an 04' engine swap with a HKS full exhaust, spacer, and a few other things. The engine has only about 55k on it however the tranny has about 160k.

Please any info would help me out a lot, I kept being told different things when it came to my alignment and I still have the problem, I know you guys know this car inside and out and I am stuck.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:30 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
White smoke usually means you're burning coolant. What does it smell like? Is your coolant level low?

Old 06-22-2010, 01:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unburnt fuel perhaps....is it a sulphur type smell? How long have you had your plenum spacer on for?

Old 06-22-2010, 01:24 PM
Ink
I know what burnt coolant smells like and it doesn't quite smell like that, however I just checked my levels and coolant is terribly low...

I find that odd because my gauges say that the car is running at normal temps.

As for the spacer I've had it for almost a year now. The smell does not sting the nose, its hard to describe, I've never smelled it before, a mix of burnt tire and something else..

Last edited by Ink; 06-22-2010 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Added info**
Old 06-22-2010, 06:10 PM
Ink
Ok so I filled my collant levels back to normal and it seems to run better however when i hit the gas really hard, for example, there is a huge hill I go up on the highway and while in 6th I can hold the petal down. I still get that smell. This time it does smell slightly different...

Do you think I could have a coolant leak, or a hole in a hose?

Is there anything else that it could be?