Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Transmission Fluid Q

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 03:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Fluid Q

I bought an 06 5AT coupe w/ 30k miles a month ago and immediatley changed the ATF. However, I went to Firestone to do it (which I prolly shouldn't have) and it started driving like crap (shuttering when i pressed the gas and let off). I took it to some guys at Zen Motors in Suwannee (good shop) and they said it was a quart low. I did some research on here and called back to ask them what brand they used. He said he didn't know if it was Kendall (which is what they buy in bulk) or if they went to the dealer and got the oem fluid. He said to bring it in and they'll check it and fill it if need be. Should I even bother or just take it to Nissan and have them do a full flush and refill to get the oem fluid back in? I want it done right asap b/c I have a long trip to go on this weekend.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:39 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You need to get it filled asap because driving it while it is low and ruin the trans.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:15 PM
Yea I know. If problems were to occur, can I go after Firestone?

Old 03-07-2011, 05:45 PM
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Immediately take the car to Nissan or Infiniti and get a flush and fill. It is extremely important that you use only the recommended Nissan/Infiniti fluid. Not using the correct fluid can destroy your transmission. Shuttering is not a good sign. I don't want to scare you but a new Infiniti dealer flushed and refilled my trans with other than matic J (i have a 2003) matic J has now been updated. They ended up replacing my transmission. Under warranty because it was their fault.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:32 PM
I may just do it myself with the instructions here.

http://www.infinitihelp.com/diy/gsed...on_service.htm

Old 03-07-2011, 07:37 PM
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
^ I did it myself with the help of that link too. its fairly st8 forward. and you must used OEM fluids... highly recommended!

Old 03-07-2011, 08:19 PM
That is not flush and fill. There is still a significant amount of old transmission fluid in your system. The AT uses a fluid cooler that is contained in the bottom portion of the radiator. The lines running to and from the cooler and the cooler would still contain old fluid as well as some in the transmission. A flush and fill is going to cost you some $$$. But not nearly as much as a replacement transmission at about $5,500 installed.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:00 AM
What is a decent price for a flush and fill if I get it done at Nissan? Also, if my transmission turns out to be shot, can i just do a rebuild or will i have to get a completely new one?

Old 03-08-2011, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator
Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts
1. you NEED to get the Tranny fluid flushed... Not just a drain and fill. You gotta get the wrong fluid thats in it out...

2. if you tranny ends up going out after all this. I would personally just swap it out with another used one. I would not spend the money to get one rebuilt.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:17 AM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by BlkCoupe
That is not flush and fill. There is still a significant amount of old transmission fluid in your system. The AT uses a fluid cooler that is contained in the bottom portion of the radiator. The lines running to and from the cooler and the cooler would still contain old fluid as well as some in the transmission. A flush and fill is going to cost you some $$$. But not nearly as much as a replacement transmission at about $5,500 installed.
He has significant time left on his powertrain warranty. But yes, get it done properly, regardless.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:18 AM
From a previous post the consenses seems to be between $200 to $300. The advantage to having this done is that all of the fluid from firestone will be flushed out of the system and replaced. Yes you can have your transmission rebuilt or replaced with a remanufactured unit preferrably from JATCO which is the original manufacturer of the transmissions. It would also probably be possible to find one in a wrecking yard and have it installed. Hopefully a flush and fill will do the job. Just don't wait too long if it's shuttering the more you drive the more damage is being done.

Last edited by BlkCoupe; 03-08-2011 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:19 AM
How long is the powertrain again? I know it is 60k but how many years. Also, I'll just act dumb and act like i didn't get the fluid change at firestone so it doesn't void it. Hopefully they can't tell.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by jstudrawa
He has significant time left on his powertrain warranty. But yes, get it done properly, regardless.
Yes, he does have time left on his powertrain warranty. But, not using the correct fluid would be enough to void his warranty. There is a bright yellow sticker on my car on the front shroud, I don't no about the 06's that clearly states use of other than approved Nissan/Infiniti fluid can damage the transmission.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:30 AM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by BlkCoupe
Yes, he does have time left on his powertrain warranty. But, not using the correct fluid would be enough to void his warranty. There is a bright yellow sticker on my car on the front shroud, I don't no about the 06's that clearly states use of other than approved Nissan/Infiniti fluid can damage the transmission.
True, but the consumer (OP) has no knowledge of what they used. The shop claims to be a competent authorized service place, it's THEIR ***. The OP will disavow all knowledge of anything at all.

Now, I'd take the car back to where you had it done and have them redo it to YOUR satisfaction. Contact the Southeast regional office if you need to, but don't let them get away with making money AND ****ing up your car.

Why would you even think twice about PAYING twice?!

Old 03-08-2011, 12:38 PM
I hate to pay twice too, but I want it done right and I don't really trust those guys if they didn't do it right the first time and they can't even note down what fluid they used. I have a warranty until 70k or 7/18/12, so maybe I should just take it to Nissan and have them do the full flush (they charge $199 vs Infiniti's $350!!!) and have them drive it around to see if everything is alright. Opinions?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid Q