Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

04 6MT clutch/tranny issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 09:23 AM
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
I concur, clutch needs to be replaced. I had this happened to me too!

Old 12-04-2011, 12:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SAMzG35
i had the JWT in mind but i read something online about them changing their clutches and they are not the same ones they used to carry, not sure how legit this is.

As for labour, i called two places and was quoted approx $1100.00 bucks!! just for labour. Labour was $189.95 an hour at one place and the other was $195.00

isnt that insane?
I ordered my clutch and flywheel from the EXEDY store on Amazon.com. I added it to my cart and watched it until I got some money together. The waiting paid off! I got the Exedy stage 1 clutch kit (#06804) for $410, and the lighter-than-oem Exedy flywheel (#NF04) for an amazing $343!!! There wasn't any tax, and it shipped for free! I found a reputable shop here in Suwanee, GA that will install everything for $450. I think any labor costs over $500 is too much to pay. The garage says it will take 5hrs to complete. FYI - these guys also quoted me $65 to resurface the flywheel, but since I have 88K on the car, I just thought it was best to replace the whole thing. I thought $65 was a good price. If it has any life left, I may keep it and sell it off to help recover some costs.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:38 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by Pauly C
I ordered my clutch and flywheel from the EXEDY store on Amazon.com. I added it to my cart and watched it until I got some money together. The waiting paid off! I got the Exedy stage 1 clutch kit (#06804) for $410, and the lighter-than-oem Exedy flywheel (#NF04) for an amazing $343!!! There wasn't any tax, and it shipped for free! I found a reputable shop here in Suwanee, GA that will install everything for $450. I think any labor costs over $500 is too much to pay. The garage says it will take 5hrs to complete. FYI - these guys also quoted me $65 to resurface the flywheel, but since I have 88K on the car, I just thought it was best to replace the whole thing. I thought $65 was a good price. If it has any life left, I may keep it and sell it off to help recover some costs.
I understood that the OEM FW cannot be re-surfaced?

Old 12-04-2011, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by Texasscout
I understood that the OEM FW cannot be re-surfaced?
See!! That is EXACTLY the impression I was under too! But, when I brought it up to the guys who are gonna do my clutch tomorrow, they wanted to verify that info with me for my peace of mind. We called Infiniti, and they said that YES it could... but its recommended to replace it if your flywheel has higher mileage. I just thought it best to get all fresh stuff in there just for complete peace of mind. I have 88K, and they said if it was able to be resurfaced, I would probably need to replace it anyways around the 100k mark.

Old 12-04-2011, 04:34 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
can't argue with any of that.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:20 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You can have a stock flywheel surfaced but it is kind of like brake rotors . When you resurface it you remove a certain amount of it's mass. Clutches and brakes produce heat, the less mass the more prone the flywheel and rotors are to warping. Also less mass makes it more prone to surface cracks. This is why it's better to buy new ones and while your at it you might as well make it an upgrade.

Old 12-10-2011, 02:41 AM
Received 260 Likes on 210 Posts
G35
nah not worth it, new one is on the way already.

Old 12-10-2011, 03:31 AM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
Making me buy a new flywheel now!!

Old 12-11-2011, 02:24 AM
G35
i have a used one for sale :P

Old 01-22-2012, 08:09 PM
You like the JWT stuff?...I'm going to buy that soon. Wondering if you notice any differences, especially with the lightweight fly?

Old 01-22-2012, 09:58 PM
Wondering if you notice any differences, especially with the lightweight fly?[/QUOTE]

YES! First off, going from OEM to a Stage 1 clutch and a lightweight flywheel, I expected a tighter pedal, but it actually seemed to be more loose. There is about 2 inches of play before the tension is there. BUT, the grab is quick after that! I stalled out my G, or smelt that burnt-clutch smell a bunch in the first week. The lighter flywheel doesn't have nor keep the inertia due to the weight loss. I have learned to double clutch as a result, which feels awesome when I'm pushing it hard, but a word of caution: Do not push it hard until you have put about 1k on the new set-up. Its a wise piece of advice I learned from a fellow G35.driver member. Downshifting with the new flywheel also needs some getting used to. The lack of inertia means you'll quickly learn to use the heel-toe maneuver. I personally miss the OEM flywheel because I would downshift to slow down and take the stress off my brake pads. I have the Brembo set-up, and they are NOT cheap! I have been thinking I will be replacing the pads sooner that expected as a result. Downshifting in the beginning would result in a pulsing/grabbing-too-hard effect that made me feel like I was damaging my new equipment.
So... long story short, YES... I noticed a few big changes. Hope this helps.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:06 PM
G35
I love it! definitely worth it.
Engines feels like it revs up much faster, the pedal feels MUCH better than stock (some say too stiff but to me its way better than stock, maybe even looser lol). I used to have a lot of vibration in the stick now its mostly gone.
Chatter noise is there, but you get used to it. Honestly i always have my music on so i barely notice it. Its nothing that i cant handle.
Only downside i can think of is if i'm to ever sell the car someone is gonna think there's something wrong it with when they hear the noise lol but i dont see that coming anytime soon

Old 01-22-2012, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the responses. You guys need the RJM clutch pedal and will never talk about the stock pedal again!

Guess I never realized the lighter flywheel would slow the engine down and cause more double clutching. Nothing I'm not used to since I feel like my transmission never came with synchros.

I'll be sure to break it in...now as far as highway driving around 75 mph in 6th gear do you notice any differences??

Old 01-22-2012, 10:50 PM
Used to my stock fly making noise Hahaha if someone asks I'll tell them lightened fly b you have a triptronic or CVT?

Old 01-22-2012, 11:27 PM
G35
Why the heck would you double clutch again? i didnt quite catch what you said.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 04 6MT clutch/tranny issue