Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Unusual clutch issue..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 08:43 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Unusual clutch issue..

I have an 06 coupe. I've had the RJM bracket on for a year, no issues. About 4 times now, I've gotten in the car (after it has sat, NEVER in the middle of a cruise/driving) and although I press the pedal down (and it does go all the way) it feels like its being pressed 3/4 of the way..

- Therefore the gears are hard to change from a stop, I have to mash it into reverse (when I'm late for work because of it :/ ) as it doesn't shift easily

- if I press the clutch all the way and put it in 1st, it *feels* like the clutch is just barely rubbing the pressure plate and possibly moving the car a veryyyy slowly (not completely engaging when the pedal is to the floor possibly?).. I was on a slight hill when I noticed but it never moved on its own there prior..

This has happened about 4 times now over the last 4 months or so.. I've always unscrewed the RJM bracket and reset it, reinstalled and been fine.

HOWEVER.. today I was in a hurry, left for work while it was acting up as described, and didn't touch the bracket or anything at all. 9 hours later driving home, it was fine..

Is this the sign on a bad master or slave cylinder? I'm about to replace the clutch so it can handle a large nitrous shot, so I'd like advice on replacing the master or slave cylinder while its apart anyway. What do you guys think it could be?

Old 07-04-2013, 04:55 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Let me stop you at "large nitrous shot". Litterally. stop. Dont subject your car to that crap.

Furthermore, next time you notice this issue, try pumping the clutch pedal 8-10 times and shifting and see if it gets easier. If pumping the pedal makes it better, your master cylinder is bleeding off and not holding pressure. AKA replace it.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:20 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
check to see if your adjustable stop bolt has backed out. Mine did this once on my RJM and I just put a little thread lock on it and haven't had a problem since. I have mine set up to be pretty agressive and a short throw now so that stop bolt is almost entirely backed out.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by livinglegend
Let me stop you at "large nitrous shot". Litterally. stop. Dont subject your car to that crap.

Furthermore, next time you notice this issue, try pumping the clutch pedal 8-10 times and shifting and see if it gets easier. If pumping the pedal makes it better, your master cylinder is bleeding off and not holding pressure. AKA replace it.
No crap subjected, tuned and everything for safe spraying, and many times more $ spent towards sensors/switches/safeties than the actual nitrous components. No ricer zex pnp wheel-button f&f garbage here.

With the master cylinder you may be on to something.. however its intermittent. But I will definitely keep that in mind and see if it helps next time! Thanks for the input.

Originally Posted by UCIMAplaya2
check to see if your adjustable stop bolt has backed out. Mine did this once on my RJM and I just put a little thread lock on it and haven't had a problem since. I have mine set up to be pretty agressive and a short throw now so that stop bolt is almost entirely backed out.
I've rebuilt my bracket about 4 times now, out of the car 2x now as well :/ you know how shitty it is installing in such a small place ONCE haha.. nevermind multiple times. There is a good chance its hydraulic related and not RJM at fault. It was 100% a bracket issue once, I could see the 3 hex bolts that change your settings loosened. The other few times, they were tight still so.. leaning towards an actual hydraulic issue right now.

I hope it happens again before I order the clutch so I can somewhat diagnose before wasting money or time.

Would bleeding help at all for an issue that isn't constant? I feel like if there was air inside it'd be a non-stop issue..

Old 07-05-2013, 08:59 PM
Received 444 Likes on 315 Posts
May be obvious, but is your clutch fluid at level?

Old 07-05-2013, 10:12 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
like mentioned above check fluid level and if you pump the pedal a few times and then try to put it in gear and see what happens. It could be air in the line but I doubt it. Sounds like an internal leak on the master or slave.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:26 AM
Received 232 Likes on 183 Posts
Find a transmission shop that is reputable and offers free estimates. Have them get their hands on it and diagnose the issue for you. Could be a couple things but doesn't do much good to guess at it over the internet if it's not something stupid easy like the fluid.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by PAIXAO
May be obvious, but is your clutch fluid at level?
Originally Posted by UCIMAplaya2
like mentioned above check fluid level and if you pump the pedal a few times and then try to put it in gear and see what happens. It could be air in the line but I doubt it. Sounds like an internal leak on the master or slave.
It is, and this does not happen often but I'll keep this in mind for next time.

Originally Posted by OBsessed
Find a transmission shop that is reputable and offers free estimates. Have them get their hands on it and diagnose the issue for you. Could be a couple things but doesn't do much good to guess at it over the internet if it's not something stupid easy like the fluid.
Understood, just looking for a few opinions on where to start looking. I contacted Ryan (RJM clutch bracket maker) and he also said its probably a cmc issue. Time will tell!