Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Motor swap gone wrong? Flywheel not fitting AT crank

Old 05-12-2019, 11:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motor swap gone wrong? Flywheel not fitting AT crank

Greetings all,

In the midst of a motor swap and cannot get the flywheel onto my new motor's crank. The donor motor is a 2003 VQ35DE non-revup from an AT replacing my 2003 VQ35DE non-revup from my 6MT. I'm attempting to install a 17lb chromoly flywheel, stage 1 clutch and pressure plate from conceptZ. Try as I might neither flywheel, old or new, will go onto the new motor's crank. The AT flywheel easily slides on, though. The motor is a jdm if that has any relevance. I've searched the FSM but still left without my answer.
The importer said it'd hook up no prob, he also convinced me to cut the pilot bearing out of the crank which was nerve wracking and exhausting.

I thought I could simply bolt my 6MT with a new flywheel, clutch and pressure plate and drop her in but that doesn't seem to be the case?

Help is appreciated, I promise I know how to use search, if no i'll bear the flames

Old 05-13-2019, 10:52 AM
BANNED!!!
Received 712 Likes on 657 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
The pilot bearing has a special puller, I bet that was a chore to cut off.

What exactly do you mean the flywheel won't fit? Take some pictures and upload them so we can see what you're talking about. Is the bolt pattern different or something? Do you not have the alignment dowel lined up properly? Did you try to reinstall a new pilot bushing before installing the flywheel?

Check the block stamping and serial number, it's right behind the passenger side heads, I suspect it's NOT a VQ35DE. Might be a VQ25DE or VQ40DE or something else.

Old 05-13-2019, 03:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. The block is 414920B VQ35. Neither will slide down to where I can even thread bolts, which eliminates the possibility of conceptZ selling me the wrong product (?) use of a rubber mallet doesn't help either. I couldn't get an action shot as I'm home alone but it seems to just ride the edge of the crank as if too small an opening.

17lb chromoly next to stock DMF I've been able to line up the bolt pattern and the pin visually, but that's as far as I can get. I'm almost ready to bore out the middle of the chromoly, probably not.

414920B VQ35

pilot bearing being cut away and chiseled out, can see where i caught her once

upper left is flywheel that came with this motor it is the only one of the three I can get down to be able to thread bolts

Old 05-13-2019, 03:47 PM
BANNED!!!
Received 712 Likes on 657 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
VQ35 isn't a correct part number, there will be TWO letters after it because there are multiple VQ35 blocks, it definitely looks like a DE flex plate though, the HR one is quite different.

At this point I would call CZ and ask them if they've run into this issue before. I know there were a couple of Nismo variants of the DE motor and as far as I was aware they all used the same crank but there's a slim possibility that you ended up with a motor out of a specialty built engine, it might even be an aftermarket crank from a built engine. You would need to inspect the casting marks and such to try to find any identifiers.

It's not uncommon to run into JDM vs. USDM differences in stuff but I've never seen this particular issue before.