Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

G35 Sedan LSD

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 08:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G35 Sedan LSD

On other boards (6MT.net) there is a discussion about sedan LSD's. I don't feel like registering there so I will post here and maybe it will drift where those poor, unfortunate, LAZY souls are.

Without even jacking the car up, them that are they decided that the sedan sport package DOES indeed have a mechanical LSD (be it viscous or helical). Ok, so I doubted them but I took 20 minutes to jack up my car and find out. With both rear wheels in the air and the car in gear, i rotated one tire counter clockwise. The opposite tire rotated counter clockwise as well with NO resistance (i.e. I did it with one finger.) So, as you can see there is no way there is anything but normal gears in the differential..

On a side note, I found one of the rubber boots on my driver's side brake caliper mounting bolt had failed with grease slowly leaking out. It is probably a one time failure, but it won't hurt to check yours the next time you have your tires off.

Sean

Better Life thru Chemistry

Old 06-10-2003, 03:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: G35 Sedan LSD

Yep.. I called my local dealer (Metro Infiniti) and asked somone in the parts department for pricing to see howmuch it would be to get the coupe LSD on the sedan.. he said "on the sedan has lsd" i said.. nope.. he checked.. and foundout the sedan does not have lsd.. anyways.. I think he said it would cost aprox $1200 to get it on the sedan.. all work done by infiniti..

I think I posted this somwhere else too..

Old 06-10-2003, 04:02 PM
Staff ALUMNI

There was no need to go to all that trouble.[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img] Nissan was very specific, that there is no Mechanical or otherwise LSD in the Sedan.[img]/w3timages/icons/frown.gif[/img]

But the only real way to tell is to pull the plate and look, 'cause in your test a helical LSD turns the opposing wheel in the opposite direction, while a mechanical LSD will turn in the same direction until the clutches lock under load.

Old 06-10-2003, 04:16 PM

So Merlin are u saying that is there is no need for lsd on the sedan?

Old 06-10-2003, 04:44 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts

Sedan's, sport or otherwise do not have LSD, period. Either purchase the Kaaz clutch type LSD for $731 or buy a compleate diff to convert to a coupe's or 350Z's LSD. Read below on the problems I'm running into trying to get a true parts list, to avoid buying the whole diff.

I am working right now to work out a exact parts list. The 350Z can serve as the donor car and likely will cost much less at the parts counter to boot vs Infiniti parts. This is where I am at. I have a detailed parts breakdown showing a exploded view of the diff's on both the none LSD equipped base 350Z and the LSD diff. The problem is, not all the parts are I.D'd. with part numbers. But, what is likely "the" parts to get have a * by them, and are sold as a group. The catch is, I cannot positively know if said * parts group are positively the LSD parts. Nissan consumer affairs has refused to clairfy, saying they will not help me modify the car. To add to the mystery, some of the parts that are part of the * group, are duplicated on both cars with the same part number. Seams a waste to have to buy the whole * group when some of the parts won't be needed.

The whole 350Z rear LSD assembly, the the whole diff is part# 38301-2c422 and has a retail of $1413

The part number for the * group of parts is listed in the diagram as 38420m that part number brings up a different part# in the nissan parts system 38410-2c500 retail $1141

To continue this disscussion, I was told on freshalloy that I could purchase a Nismo LSD ment for the 350Z and that it was a "gear" type LSD vs the Kaaz's clutch type system. I called both Grupee-S and Nismo. The Nismo 350Z LSD is not even out in Japan, so I am waiting for info on the Cusco unit, hoping that it's a gear type LSD.

Ivry 6mt sed
Injen CAI, 22" resonator
8X18 Enkei RPM2 45mm
Kumho MX 245/40
clear corners

Old 06-10-2003, 08:16 PM
IQ9

Hey we all thanks you for the exhaustive research. Let us know what your findings reveal.

03.5 Sedan/B. Silver/Prem/Winter/Aero/Tint/Rims
69 Chevelle Hard Top BB/4.11's/Posi

Old 06-10-2003, 08:18 PM
IQ9

What Merlin is stating is that there is no LSD of any type in the Sedan but that has been documented by Nissan themselves. Tests are good and others get to learn the tricks some of us already know.

03.5 Sedan/B. Silver/Prem/Winter/Aero/Tint/Rims
69 Chevelle Hard Top BB/4.11's/Posi

Old 06-10-2003, 08:52 PM
Staff ALUMNI

Nope. Not saying we do not need LSD on the Sedan wish we had it but with the issue the Coupe 6MTs are experiencing with the VERY Aggressive VSD and their clutches, not sure how much it would help.
Just saying there is no absolute definitive way to tell LSD from Non-LSD by just jacking the back and turning the wheels, since different LSD technologies may give you the wrong impression, just by the nature of how they work.
Dang, I hate typing.[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-10-2003, 09:10 PM

OK....call me stupid but what does an LSD do for us? Besides allowing for 2 wheel burnouts, which our car wont really do anyway, what do we gain?

Will it help me on the track?

Old 06-10-2003, 09:28 PM

So would LSD be worth it?

Old 06-10-2003, 10:06 PM
Staff ALUMNI

Puts power to the outside wheel in a corner, has the effect of pushing you around the corner, makes better cornering. Acts like a 4WD by applying power mechnically to the wheel that is perceived to be slipping.
Most traction control is the opposite, they apply the brakes to the wheel that is slipping.[img]/w3timages/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Old 06-10-2003, 11:42 PM

LSD = a drug. No, just kidding. It stands for limited slip differential, a.k.a.posi-traction. It was big on the US made muscle cars and yes you can burn both rear tires with it. without it, power is supplied to just one of the rear wheels, not both. Will it help you on the track, perhaps, perhaps not. If you burn out for 0.2 secs at the hole shot, you'll loose time!

2003.5 G35 Sedan
Stillen Intake!
Hyper Grounding Kit!
Lowered! (soon)
Also MB ML350!

Old 06-11-2003, 01:37 PM

FWIW, the sedan does have a Brake LSD (check your manual). this is the first time i have ever heard of a Brake LSD...

g35doman
'03.5 5AS, BS/G, Leather, Sport, 32%, Klasse

Old 06-11-2003, 02:24 PM
Staff ALUMNI

Yeah, they use the Brake to Limit the Slip by applying the brakes to the side that is slipping.[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img] Not a True LSD as we know it.[img]/w3timages/icons/frown.gif[/img] Hopefully they will change this for the driving enthusiasts out there and not try to second guess (read drive for us) every driver.[img]/w3timages/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Old 06-12-2003, 11:21 AM

Agreed that the Brake LSD is not a True LSD, but is it functionally equivalent or close? Just curious...

My first reaction after reading about in the manual was laughter. I couldn't believe the marketing BS they were trying to pull...

g35doman
'03.5 5AS, BS/G, Leather, Sport, 32%, Klasse

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 Sedan LSD