Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

SGP 5AT valve body - VIDEO!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2005 | 10:50 PM
|
SGP 5AT valve body - VIDEO!

Hey guys...

Letting the cat out of the bag, now that I can.

I was the one testing the SGP Valve body upgrade for our 5ATs. While I will not go into much detail about what exactly is done, suffice it to say that it is not your Level 10 or Stillen VB mod, most definitely not!

My impressions:
1) While driving conservatively, say, under 30% throttle, the shifts are 50-70% faster, but with ZERO harshness. So, if your grandma borrows the car oneday, she won't have any complaints.
2) In 40-60% 'intermedaite' throttle range, the shifts are NOTICEABLY faster and more positive, and in my opinion exactly how they need to be. So, to be clear, you do feel a 'bump' during shifts that is by no means uncomfortable or overly intrusive.
3) 70-100% throttle - ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE. This system is incredible. It chirps the tires during 1-2 and 80% of the time during 2-3 shifts. All the other shifts are noticeably harsher and very very fast. Later, when i get some logging done, I will be able to measure exactly how fast the shifts are, now and with the stock VB.

This is an A+++++++++++ system, period!

I actually made a quick and dirty (well...not 'dirty') video with my digital camera for you to actually see 1) the speed of the shifts, and 2) how it spins/chirps the tires during 1-2 and 2-3 shifts ( in this case 1-2 only). This is a video of the instrument cluster up close during a quick run. Will try to do a better video as time allows.

SGP VB Video 1

(rt click, and save as... do not stream please).

I will let Kyle of SGP Racing comment on the rest (he will probably do it on the Z boards, and not here... but I maybe wrong).

Let me know what you think fellas..

EDIT: btw guys, do not ask me about pricing, availability, etc...etc... That's a question for Kyle. The only thing I can say is that the install should take around 2 hours, and as with every VB mod, does NOT involve removing the transmission.

Last edited by GurgenPB; 08-09-2005 at 11:01 PM.
Old 08-09-2005 | 10:53 PM
Any idea of price and install cost?

Old 08-09-2005 | 11:02 PM
|
Originally Posted by Keith N
Any idea of price and install cost?
You reminded me about what I forgot to put in the original post (availability, etc...)

I would refer you to SGP with those questions, he would be the only one that would know.

Old 08-09-2005 | 11:10 PM
Gurgen,
Great work. Sounds like a great mod for FI 5AT's. In WOT was result similar while driving in auto mode compared to manual mode? Also do you have the Technosquare " rev limiter flash "?

Last edited by GXCLUSIV; 08-09-2005 at 11:14 PM.
Old 08-10-2005 | 12:00 AM
|
Originally Posted by GXCLUSIV
Gurgen,
Great work. Sounds like a great mod for FI 5AT's. In WOT was result similar while driving in auto mode compared to manual mode? Also do you have the Technosquare " rev limiter flash "?
Auto vs manual - no difference...shifts teh same way. And yes, my redline is at 6900.

Old 08-10-2005 | 12:38 AM
E_K
From: Toh-rensa,Ahteesia,Ahcadia,Montree Pak, Longa Beacha
So you're saying that this would make much more of a difference than the Stillen VB? I was going to try and get the Stillen VB next week, since I could just leave my car there.

Old 08-10-2005 | 01:08 AM
Thanks for the update GurgenPB! This is just what I have been holding out for.

The SGP web site includes two sets of pricing - one for the VB upgrade and then another for a "rebuilt" (ie "bulletproof"?) auto transmission.

I'd like to know what's *not* included in the VB upgrade that is present in the more expensive upgrade option.

May I ask if they modified your stock VB or you got a new one? I remember you saying in another thread that your unmodified AT was on its way out.

When SGP comes online here I'd also like to know the ancillary costs that are required/recommended (torque converter, cooler etc). As well as logistics for shipping etc. for us East coast guys.

Thanks again.

Old 08-10-2005 | 03:02 AM
|
Originally Posted by E_K
So you're saying that this would make much more of a difference than the Stillen VB? I was going to try and get the Stillen VB next week, since I could just leave my car there.
Go on 350zmotoring.com..there are a few guys there just talking about it in an FI forum (an AT thread...can't miss it). From what I am told, the shifts are NOT going to be hard/jolting. I experienced what that type of mod in one of the phases of R&D of the present VB, and was not very impressed. Yes, the shifts are faster, but nothing that you feel at the very instance of clutch engagement. The clutchpacks are still engaging slowly, as the line pressure is ultimately controlled by the TCM/solenoids. This present mod is immune to TCM's doing, bluntly put.

Long story short: the shift is made up of four stages, and the stage which controls how quickly the clutchpacks are shifted is TCM/solenoid driven. A simple spring/plate boring method that used to work on all the other trannies simply doesn't work for this. So, jsut adjusting springs can turn up the line prssure..that's no secret and has been done for a long time now, including Level10 and Stillen, but since the line pressure is ultimately not permitted to go above a certain value AT THE TIME THE ACTUAL SHIFT OCCURS, then it's all a moot point unless you can bypass it. This is why people that have the Stillen (I have spoken to two fellow drivers extensively) do not notice a tangible change in how the clutchpacks engage.

Old 08-10-2005 | 09:42 AM
very nice Gurgen..good job.now we can race

Old 08-10-2005 | 10:21 AM
FGC's official flip flopper
Great...cannot wait to hear the updates.

Here is a question though...woudl a VB upgrade require a new tune with a Vortech? They say to re-tune after any mod but don't know if an upgraded VB would matter?

Old 08-10-2005 | 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by g8tor20
Great...cannot wait to hear the updates.

Here is a question though...woudl a VB upgrade require a new tune with a Vortech? They say to re-tune after any mod but don't know if an upgraded VB would matter?
Part or upgrade will not affect your A/F, so no tuning required.

Old 08-10-2005 | 12:37 PM
Ok, I think I'm mixing up SFR and SGP. One's in cali, other in houston - right? SFR website has the 350z valve body upgrade I was referring to. Can someone clarify...

Correction to an error that was not an error - sorry for the confusion. SGP racing is the correct website.

Here is the link for the full transmission upgrade ($3.3k ); and here is the link for just the valve body upgrade ($755 ).

So what's in the "rebuilt tranny" that's not in the VB upgrade and which did you get (or recommend) GurgenPB?

Last edited by rcdash; 08-10-2005 at 01:49 PM.
Old 08-10-2005 | 12:46 PM
Gurgens Valve Body mod was done by SGP in Houston. SFR is in San Diego, I believe they only rebuilt tranny's, no VB upgrades.

Last edited by GXCLUSIV; 08-10-2005 at 12:50 PM.
Old 08-10-2005 | 01:44 PM
|
Originally Posted by GXCLUSIV
Gurgens Valve Body mod was done by SGP in Houston. SFR is in San Diego, I believe they only rebuilt tranny's, no VB upgrades.
Yes, this is SGP racing in houston.

Old 08-10-2005 | 01:52 PM
I think the links I found (added above in prior post) answer most of my questions - the VB upgrade is recommended up to 550 RWHP and the full rebuilt tranny is for above that.

Really alot of info on their sale pages - looks good.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SGP 5AT valve body - VIDEO!