Clicking axle fixed!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2008 | 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by Nightstalker
How retarded is it that in the service manual for the rear brakes it doesnt tell you how to remove the rear rotors. Do you have to remove the axle nut to take off the rear rotors? I couldnt get that rear axle nut off to save my life! I have a breaker bar and the 32m socket!! WTF! I weigh 210 pounds and I even tried standing and jumping on the SOB! Any help?

You don't need to take out the axle nut to remove rotors.
get a hammer tap around the rotor/wiggle repeat over and over.
Eventually it will break lose.

Old 09-30-2008 | 01:29 PM
We are talking about the rear rotors right? Ok, I will try again today but those damn things didnt even budge when I whacked em with my rubber mallet.

Old 10-01-2008 | 09:30 AM
The rotor should have a hole with rubber insert. If you remove the rubber and can find a bolt big enough to thread it into the hole it will also push the rotor out. But i couldn't find a bolt that big so i just kept wacking it with a hammer and eventually it came loose..

Old 10-01-2008 | 09:45 AM
BS!!! I went to town on that damn rotor and it never came off!! I even got curious about that rubber thingy and I stuck my screwdriver in and the thing just got lost in the abyss! Didnt see crap in there except springs and weird looking stuff. I mean I really hit the F%*K out of that rotor, never even budged...yes I took the caliper off. I got the axle nut off finally after spraying it down with that PB stuff or whatever. I then lifted both sides of the car and rotated the axle to get easy access to all the bolts then just slid the thing out without taking the rotor off. All in all a tiresome job but I dont think its easy. Tell me your thinking...oh this is a breeze when you are putting all your bodily force into a nut that wont budge and then you have to put a wrench on the other side to keep the damn bolt from spinning all the while contortioning your arms into tight spaces to find an angle to do all this. then you are getting up putting the car in neutral to spin the axle to get to the other bolts. the easiest thing was putting it back together! Just a little nervous about putting enough torque on the axle bolts especially the center axle nut! Yes, I am mechanically inclined. I have built 3 cars by meself...one car i had stripped in one day then had the motor tranny, suspension, brakes, auto to manual conversion and electrical system in 22 hours. Can you say a one man team overhaulin!? hahaha!

to make a long story short.....she no clicky no MO!

Last edited by Nightstalker; 10-01-2008 at 09:52 AM.
Old 10-01-2008 | 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by Kao1
The rotor should have a hole with rubber insert. If you remove the rubber and can find a bolt big enough to thread it into the hole it will also push the rotor out. But i couldn't find a bolt that big so i just kept wacking it with a hammer and eventually it came loose..
Well that is an important detail. Apparently I got an immediate answer on another forum. You take out the rubber insert, rotate it to 6 o'clock and theres a dial you have to turn for the E-brake drum system inside the rotor. If you turn it correctly the drum system releases pressure on the inside of the rotor and will let it go...I was also told that excessive banging on it could damage the e brake assembly. The rubber grommet is there to give you access to the drum system so you can properly take off the rotors. Its funny even the dealer told me it should come right off! Thanks.

Old 03-12-2009 | 01:03 PM
Anyone still have a video of the clicking sound?

Old 03-15-2009 | 12:37 AM
hmmm im going to check on the noise, now my brakes are finished lol my brakes are making noise while driving lol after i changed them asap im going to check on the axles

Old 04-22-2009 | 06:24 PM
Where can I get this Molykote M77 Grease? I picked up some moly ball bearing grease from AutoZone today and it didn't stop the clicking!!!!

Old 04-22-2009 | 08:48 PM
I'm so frustrated! I don't know what to do! What grease should I use? I used a gray paste called "Coastal Premium Moly EP Grease" that says lithium 12 hydroxy extreme pressure grease, protection against wear, highly water insoluble, and resists change in structure and consistency.

Is there another problem with using the short bolts? I don't know what to do because I'm positive the axle is clicking and it's driving me nuts!

Old 04-23-2009 | 09:41 PM
I tried the grease that came with brake pads and that didn't solve the clicking/ticking either!!!!!

Old 04-23-2009 | 10:48 PM
Are you using enough grease? I was pretty generous with the amount of grease I used.

Are you greasing the correct surface? It was a big job for me... the axle has to come off the car to be greased.

Old 04-24-2009 | 01:01 AM
Easy job for me, I followed the TSB by taking the axle off the car and greasing the proper spot with PLENTY of grease.

I took the axle off and greased the contact point of the axle where it meets the outside of the hub bearing. The only thing I can think of is maybe it's a different noise. But, it sounds like everyone's descriptions...strange!

Old 04-24-2009 | 04:24 AM
G35 Coupe
got mine fixed for 60$ at INFINITI

Old 04-24-2009 | 09:46 AM
My axle is clicking bad now when i take off out of first gear.Im gonna give this a shot and see if it clears it up,if not ill just take it to infiniti for warranty.

Old 04-24-2009 | 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by jutn35
got mine fixed for 60$ at INFINITI
Did they follow the TSB? Or do something else?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Clicking axle fixed!