DIY: EVAP canister removal for sedan owners

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 06:28 PM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
DIY: EVAP canister removal for sedan owners

This isn't really finished but I wanted to post the idea. First thing I noticed when I first remove the canister months ago, is that the car cranked longer before starting if it sat a few hours since the gas tank was constantly venting and not maintaining pressure. I put the canister back and it started normally.
People who did this on my350z and had the CEL SES light from removing the EVAP canister said they removed the codes with Osiris and didn't see any long cranking before starting.
I had the EVAP canister in the trunk and could keep my spare tire but the gas smell was unbearable sometimes and it's simply not safe to be inhaling gas vapors. I removed the canister and took the lines from the gas tank under the car and routed them in the same place where the canister vented originally, in the subframe. I guess the gas vapors venting in the subframe prohibits the growth of mold or any rust from forming since it is hollow.

There is still one hole (pictured) that was covered originally by one of the brackets for the EVAP canister. It needs to be plugged somehow with something to prevent vapor from getting into the trunk through the vent on the side of the quarter panel.
People who have the driver side valve cover vent to atmosphere also get gas smell every time the car is WOT. I have it the same way but I plan on putting it back into the intake.

Last edited by Andrei; 08-16-2010 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:42 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
What is the purpose of removing the canister?

Last edited by Mustang5L5; 08-15-2010 at 09:46 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:45 PM
Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts
A lot have moved it to run dual exhaust. Andrei so have you had any codes? Or just the lagg on start up? I have always been interested in this idea.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:38 PM
There are codes but they can be deleted permanently with Osiris. Once the codes are deleted there is a chance there wont be anymore long crank times like people on my350z said.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:07 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
What is the purpose of relocating/removing this canister if not for dual exhaust on the sedan?

Old 08-16-2010, 11:11 AM
ill Sedan

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,448 Posts
^+1, why move it at all unless you need the room for a dual exhaust.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:11 AM
Save weight. The EVAP canister, bolts and tow hook weigh quite a bit. I put the bolts back but plan on getting NTP plugs or rubber plugs.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:55 PM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts
I got under the car a few months back. I'll be doing this (well, remounting vertically) for space reasons. I'll be running a dual exhaust as well but to make it easier I won't have any mufflers. My plan is to run LaBree resonated test pipes to a midpipe with a Sebring muffler/resonator and mandrel bent pipes to the rear with dual tips on each side. Should be pretty darn loud n' sexy.

You're running a dual exhaust with muffler canisters in the rear, right Andrei?

Old 08-16-2010, 02:59 PM
^Yes. That is a better way to do it and save more weight by not using mufflers. I got expensive as **** Megan mufflers. Have to watch were I backup the car constantly. Cant drive too fast over pot holes neither.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:28 AM
To the top

The gasoline I was smelling at wide open throttle WOT before I routed the hoses back into the subframe and got rid of the canister was due to one of the wideband sensors being out on my car and the ECU dumping gas and running super rich at WOT. This has been reported before by others on this forum who have G35s with widebands that went out.

Also there is no gasoline smell coming out of the driver side valve cover that I have venting to atmosphere. The gasoline smell was caused by the reason above.^

Also the person with the canister removed who I talked to on my350z who said his car did not crank longer after sitting for a few hours was running an aftermarket fuel setup with a Walbro fuel pump which has instant pressure when the car cranks thus a quicker start.

Last edited by Andrei; 10-13-2010 at 02:38 AM.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:32 AM
This is the drive side valve cover venting to atmosphere. Like I said it does not cause any gas smell venting to atmosphere. Usually this has a hose connecting to the intake and it releases unburned gas vapors into the intake but it fouls up the throttle body.

The gas smell after I put the canister back into the subframe was simply because of a bad wideband air/fuel sensor.

Last edited by Andrei; 10-22-2010 at 02:22 AM.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The_Stimulation
I got under the car a few months back. I'll be doing this (well, remounting vertically) for space reasons. I'll be running a dual exhaust as well but to make it easier I won't have any mufflers. My plan is to run LaBree resonated test pipes to a midpipe with a Sebring muffler/resonator and mandrel bent pipes to the rear with dual tips on each side. Should be pretty darn loud n' sexy.

You're running a dual exhaust with muffler canisters in the rear, right Andrei?
You can still put a muffler under the front middle of the car easily (which is what I did), then two pipes straight back. If you mount the evap vertically instead of horizontally like it is now, in the same spot, there's just enough room to fit a pipe past it.

I think if you do it without a muffler it will be too loud and raspy, but test it out and see I guess. I just have one muffler, no resonators, and it's friggin loud lol. I can only imagine how it would be without a muffler lol.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:23 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
Yes, you can fit a big @ss muffler in the center. My center one is huge. Then just some small resonators in the rear.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:49 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Has anyone experienced any problems over time with this mod?

Old 10-20-2010, 02:04 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm going to attempt this within a few weeks. I'll let you know if I came across any problems.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY: EVAP canister removal for sedan owners