Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)
View Poll Results: Year/Model of your G having EXCESSIVE OIL CONSUMPTION
2003 5AT
9.51%
2003 6MT
10.63%
2004 5AT
6.71%
2004 6MT
11.61%
2005 5AT
7.69%
2005 6MT
24.06%
2006 5AT
3.36%
2006 6MT
20.98%
2007 5AT
1.82%
2007 6MT
3.64%
Voters: 715. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 01:28 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by Ruhnie
Oh I'm not saying I expect someone to be able to tell me definitively how bad the OC really is, I'm more or less just stating my frustration with it and Nissan for not handling it better. All it would take is a recall/TSB to squelch any doubts I have about the brand. The way it stands right now, I'm still on the fence. Great car, awesome price/performance ratio, but if I have to get a new engine or 2 I won't be so thrilled. Leaning towards a 330 tbh
Gotcha...and totally understand your frustration around that. Try owning one
Yeah, needless to say, I'm a bit butt hurt by NNA. They've taken care of the 350Z's with TSB, an actual recall on their 2006 Altima and Sentera SE-R 2.5L with OC issues, but not Jack for us Infiniti folks.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 06CPV35
Gotcha...and totally understand your frustration around that. Try owning one
Yeah, needless to say, I'm a bit butt hurt by NNA. They've taken care of the 350Z's with TSB, an actual recall on their 2006 Altima and Sentera SE-R 2.5L with OC issues, but not Jack for us Infiniti folks.

I can only imagine how pissed you owners must be. I already have a bit of a sour taste in my mouth from Nissan after having an '03 Z for a few years. There were some serious issues w/ the alignment and electrical stuff that it took forever for them to acknowledge. Even when they did, the parameters that you had to meet to fit into a warranty repair were way too small. I have been hoping they would improve their standing on stuff like this, but I am thinking I got my hopes up a bit too much

Old 01-10-2008, 04:19 PM
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by Ruhnie
I can only imagine how pissed you owners must be. I already have a bit of a sour taste in my mouth from Nissan after having an '03 Z for a few years. There were some serious issues w/ the alignment and electrical stuff that it took forever for them to acknowledge. Even when they did, the parameters that you had to meet to fit into a warranty repair were way too small. I have been hoping they would improve their standing on stuff like this, but I am thinking I got my hopes up a bit too much
I was considering taking my loses and dumping my G for the 07 Z with the VQ35HR that has no OC issues I've heard of. (sry fellow G'ers still ain't feeling the G37 and I'm not a sedan guy), but the 07 6mt Z's are having major issues with the clutch falling to the floor. Master slave issue I think. There's already been a fatality bc of that. Read it on the Z forums.
And there's a lot of ppl really pissed off with the current revup VQ replacements there too. More Z ppl are chimming in with bad news on OC with the second version hand built replacement from Japan. Thats not good for us either being it's the same VQ replacement, except ours just a just a couple less in hp. 300hp/298hp

It'll be interesting to see if Nissan got their ducks in order on the 08 GTR.
They better have for a low cost $70K+ 'super car' in price comparison to other vehicles in that class. But I'll never own one. I'm well off, but not that well off...lol

So I'm at a loss what to get if I don't keep my G and can reasonably afford.
It sucks, cuz the G is an awesome handling sports/luxury car. Performance not bad either...:sigh:

And the narrow parameters for replacement... 1qt/1000mi or worse
What about 1qt/2300-2500mi I had since new

Last edited by V35 Skyline GT; 01-10-2008 at 04:29 PM.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:44 AM
6MT Coupe
Old 01-25-2008, 08:27 PM
Angry Anyone have an idea?

I have gone through 3 oil consumption tests and am consistently burning
1.5quarts every 1000miles! Now I am told that I have to do 3 more oil consumption tests. I am a bit BullS#$% over this situation and have contacted infiniti corporate, but no one seems to have any sway. Does anyone know what I can do to make infiniti take action?

Old 01-26-2008, 03:33 PM
6MT Coupe
^NO!! That's BS. TSB says dealer confirms you're at full, sees you back ONCE to check level, look at chart and depending on results, you're either ok or they order you a new VQ.

Go to a different dealer for that test and/or present your past official OC test results at different dealer. Your G's history is in Nissan/Infiniti's database nation wide.

Sorry to hear the troubles around that. If it's Infiniti Corp doing this to you, then I say go BBB and that should change Infiniti's attitude toward you and your G.
You could file BBB against the present dealer too with their lack of response and un-needed tests they state you still need.
Shove the TSB in their face to educate them

G/L

Last edited by V35 Skyline GT; 01-26-2008 at 03:37 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:33 AM
E_K
Location: Toh-rensa,Ahteesia,Ahcadia,Montree Pak, Longa Beacha
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Agree as above. When I did the consumption test on my 2003 5AT, the dealer said that they needed three 1000 mile tests. So I did that. After the third, they wanted to do 3 more. I told them that wasn't the original plan, so they moved towards making a decision on the engine. The dealer then tried to deny a new engine, saying that my headers caused this. I filed with BBB, and basically, I'm now promised a new engine once I take the aftermarket stuff off the engine.

Old 01-27-2008, 03:08 PM
On my 06 G I didn't even go thru 1 oil consumption test. I was complaining about ringing noise and when I ran out of oil once and then a seconf time, I started b....ing and they they replaced engine right away. I didn't even know that there had to be oil consumption tests. On my 07 G the minute I have seen the same thing happen I made a complain they verified the oil in the car. Then second time they drained oil and started the test and when I ran out of oil I drove 40 miles to the dealer with engine ringing, b....ing to them on the phone almost all the way there, Nissan tried to play a game of more test but I didn't let it happen. I just said that it wasn't my first G that it happend to so they better stop their bull****. A little scene in fron of the customers inside a dealership also helps. I don't mean swearing and yelling just showing them that you know that it is a common problem with their engines and that Nissan is trying to cover it up (especially in my case since it was my second G). Just make sure that other customers in the dealership can hear your conversation. BBB is a good place to go or a lawyer (some will take the case for free if they see that they can win it)

Old 01-29-2008, 10:38 PM
Originally Posted by 06CPV35
^NO!! That's BS. TSB says dealer confirms you're at full, sees you back ONCE to check level, look at chart and depending on results, you're either ok or they order you a new VQ.

Go to a different dealer for that test and/or present your past official OC test results at different dealer. Your G's history is in Nissan/Infiniti's database nation wide.

Sorry to hear the troubles around that. If it's Infiniti Corp doing this to you, then I say go BBB and that should change Infiniti's attitude toward you and your G.
You could file BBB against the present dealer too with their lack of response and un-needed tests they state you still need.
Shove the TSB in their face to educate them

G/L
Thank you, I just filed a complaint with the BBB regarding Infiniti Corporate and my dealership. I'll let you all know what happens. And if they will not help, then I will release the name of this NorthEast dealership and let you all know not to ever go there.

Old 02-09-2008, 03:44 AM
Consuming Mass Quantities!!!

I have experienced my oil problem since modifying my "G". Going the N/A route and problem started at about 75k. Been using synthetic Motul since day 1, and even changed to 5-40 to combat consumption, but still have problem from time to time. Only thing that has helped keep my engine safe is the addition of the JWT oil pan spacer to hold that extra quart and a 1/2 or so of oil. Any other solutions???

Last edited by OG35Driver; 02-09-2008 at 03:48 AM.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:54 PM
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by MadMonkey
Thank you, I just filed a complaint with the BBB regarding Infiniti Corporate and my dealership. I'll let you all know what happens. And if they will not help, then I will release the name of this NorthEast dealership and let you all know not to ever go there.
Look at page 6 of TSB #14 as far as what documentation is needed on OC.

'Repair / work order from any Infiniti dealer showing the vehicle mileage and indicating service for 'check and refill oil level', or 'oil and filter change' "
Originally Posted by OG35Driver
I have experienced my oil problem since modifying my "G". Going the N/A route and problem started at about 75k. Been using synthetic Motul since day 1, and even changed to 5-40 to combat consumption, but still have problem from time to time. Only thing that has helped keep my engine safe is the addition of the JWT oil pan spacer to hold that extra quart and a 1/2 or so of oil. Any other solutions???
Is this a revup or non revup. Regardless, that's not good news for the long term durability of these VQ's. So even if no OC issues...then at 75,000miles, it goes belly up

Last edited by V35 Skyline GT; 02-10-2008 at 05:06 PM.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the info. It is a non-rev up motor. I am very concerned due to the fact I have plans to upgrade my cams, pistons, connecting rods, and the new Cosworth twin inlet plenum. Not sure what will happen with additional stress.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:36 PM
6MT Coupe
Believe I remember reading other peeps how the have gone with a total NON NISSAN/INFINITI rebuild and have no or very little OC issues even with running TT's. Know a member personally with built 04 non revup VQ APS TT's and very very little OC. Sam at GTM down your way built his VQ.
G/L with everything. I'm a 100 miles from dealer reading stick, then my V2 gets ordered.

Last edited by V35 Skyline GT; 02-10-2008 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:29 PM
That is good to know. Waiting for HKS GT Supercharger to come out in a few months. Good to know there may be a soulution to my OC problem. What is the average cost to get it rebuilt non Nissan/Infiniti???

Old 02-11-2008, 10:10 AM
6MT Coupe
^Depends on what grade internals, head work, etc. And in all honesty I don't know what my friend paid. He never told me the exact amount.
Plus he had his tranny built to handle the high hp/tq at the same time. Know it wasn't cheap.

If you like or know about Sam at GTM. I'd suggest giving them a call and probably get a ballpark figure.
Have heard many good things about that shop. Think they're in Riverside County.
There's many options when it comes to rebuilding which changes the cost a lot.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Poll: Oil Consumption