Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Installed new NonStopTuning pulleys

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 01:35 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by VQguy
In fact, most people claim their engines seem to run smoother with aftermarket pulleys.

The engineering reasons are that most modern engine have a short, strong crank with, a relatively high natural frequency. The dangerous second harmonic that can cause damage occurs at an rpm that this sort of engine will never see, in the area of 10,000 rpm.
I disagree. My VQ was noticeably harsher above 5000rpms.

Also, when it comes to 1st and 2nd order crank vibrations, they can occur as low as 3000rpms, then dissipate, then come back at a higher rpm. Every engine is different and to label 10,000rpms as the breaking point is very misleading and simply not true. If that was the case, then BMW I6s and Contour SVT V6s wouldn't snap their cranks with UDPs at rpms well below 7000rpms.

As far as I can tell, our engine has a strong and stiff bottom end that is overbuilt if anything for our intended use. It has an internaly balanced crankshaft which is less like to break due to torsional vibration.
Yes, the VQ block and lower block is extremely robust. However, balanced cranks have pretty much used since the dawn of gasoline combustion engine. The "balancing" has obviously gotten a lot better over the years though. Regardless, the VQ crank is perfectly balanced, but still doesn't stop the fact that the crank experiences varying loads when those explosions send the pistons down at various rpms and loads. The flywheel (6MT) or the torque converter (5AT) serves as a crank damper. But powertrain engineers also know the critical purpose of balancing the other end of the crank hence the reason for the elastomer infused crank pulley.

Some engines like the Nissan SR20 have to have an underdrive pulley to live at all under race condtions as the water pump cavitates at a low rpm. All SE-R Cup cars and most professional drift S chassis cars run underdrive pulleys. SE-R Cup cars are very relaible with engines lasting several seasons sometimes. I have heard of guys that have had them for 200,000 miles.
The same goes for the VG, VQ, QR and GA engines. Many World Challange race cars use underdrive pulleys.
Never seen any proof of that, but I have seen race spec QRs, SRs, and VQs with fluid dampers.

American V8 engines are often externaly balanced and it is critcal not to use a solid hub pulley not designed for this applcation or damage to the engine will result.
Not any of the American motors I've worked on, and certainly not any American V8s. GM's L98, LT1, and LS1 V8s have the same exact elastomer ring crank pulley design. Same goes for the Ford Mod V8s (SOHC/DOHC), and Dodge's Hemi motors. Same crank pulley designs as the VQ.

Our engine and most people's here have motors that do not fall into the above catagory. Rest assured that your engine will not blow up and die or have a reduced life in street and even racing use with these parts.
True, I've never heard of a single VQ failing from an UDP. However, I have seen a case of where the UDP became worn at the crank key slot and spun on the crank, got wedged, and completely unbalanced the crank and blew the motor.

To close out, most of this information is from Mike of NST. You can chat with him yourself on AIM. His screen name is NSTonAIM and he is very easy to talk to. I plan to run NST pulleys for life!
Trust your sources. Research. And certainly don't believe everything you're told from an aftermarket vendor.

Old 04-30-2007, 03:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DaveB, I am not here to pick a fight with you or anyone else. This was part of my hesitation in writing what I finally decided upon. I do not want to sit here back and forth picking at your points and then waiting for you to pick at mine.

Bottom line is this. I have used NST pulleys for a few years, I have seen great results with them, I have picked up throttle response, great accessory life, and even better MPG. I speak from experience, and that experience tells me I have had nothing to worry about on numerous cars.

Your car, do with it as you wish. I have said it before and I will say it again. There are those who DO, and then there are those who sit on the sidelines and throw in their two cents.

You see this in the world of sports, politics, etc etc. A few actually do things and others sit there and throw in their ideas, which are 99% of the time useless because they have never experienced any of the things they so pationately seem to be experts about.

Have a great time modding your car everyone

Old 04-30-2007, 05:23 AM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
everyone has brought up good points - however they are points that have been beaten like a dead horse out here for years!

I hope this doesn’t end up another 20+ page debate... read post #21 and as VQguy said “Have a great time modding your car”

Old 04-30-2007, 11:03 AM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MechEE
they simply build an infinite number of combinations of every part and car combination and try them all out.
Do you honestly believe that, or am I missing some sarcasm? The g35 is a mass produced vehicle. As such, every engineering decision has been made measured against safety, emissions, performance, reliability, and most importantly, cost.

Old 04-30-2007, 11:05 AM
Staff Alumni
Originally Posted by MechEE
I understand your viewpoint. But use some common sense on this one. To make the engine rev noticeably more quickly in gear, it has to be making enough power to noticeably increase the acceleration of the vehicle (engine's linked to the tires through the trans, right?). And if that were the case, it should be noticeable on the inertial dyno and on the strip.

But from the mass change numbers alone, we know that it's not giving a noticeable increase in acceleration simply because it doesn't give a significant change in effective inertia working against the motor. Thus it certainly isn't making the motor rev noticeably more quickly in gear.

However there is an explanation for your viewpoint that is more plausible (IMO), and that is that the noticeably quicker revs in neutral trick you to think that it's also moving more quickly in gear (placebo).
As Dave has already pointed out, many people make the same claims for lightened flywheels. To touch on your point, I noticed that the engine revs more freely in neutral, but there was absolutely no difference in gear.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:01 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
I ran a Fidanza flyweel on my old maxima 18lbs down to about 11lbs. Very noticable difference in throttle response and ability to rev. But I read as the gear ratios approach 1:1, the advantages become less.

Last edited by Jeff92se; 04-30-2007 at 04:46 PM.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:47 PM
lighten flywheel w/ no clutch upgrade is pointless.
underdrive pulley is good - man, when i first came on here - i almost swore this was a " lowered on rims" scene- theres a lot of technically " savvy" people in here. def. a good place to learn about OUR cars. looking forward to STILLEN!

Old 04-30-2007, 11:58 PM
Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
Do you honestly believe that, or am I missing some sarcasm? The g35 is a mass produced vehicle. As such, every engineering decision has been made measured against safety, emissions, performance, reliability, and most importantly, cost.
You missed the sarcasm. I was trying to make it obvious with the sentence before that, coupled with the fact that I was suddenly agreeing with the original poster. I think the excess sarcasm flipped back around at infinity and came back to perceived genuineness.

Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
As Dave has already pointed out, many people make the same claims for lightened flywheels. To touch on your point, I noticed that the engine revs more freely in neutral, but there was absolutely no difference in gear.
In defense of the lightened flywheel comment, note that lightened flywheels generally represent at least an order of magnitude change in inertia compared to a lightened crank pulley. The effects of many lightened flywheels are significant enough to generally be felt in first gear (5-10% gains in 1st).

Note that all my arguments against the pullies (gains and perception in the car) are based on non-underdrive.

Last edited by MechEE; 05-01-2007 at 12:00 AM.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:41 AM
Banned
MechEE......... Buddy, how the hell are you? Still going after these pulley guys huh. That's ok. Never liked this mod but I do like the flywheel one. Had one before and I'll have another soon. I will agree that most is felt in first then dies out like Jeff said higher up in the gears. I call this the "get out of the hole" mod. Good for take offs and going through the first couple of gears pretty much. I know Trey you feel it hurt your launch but with the flywheel, you need to re-learn all over again. We could all do like the "Rock Crawlers" and go even heavier so we won't stall or bog on takeoffs. 5hp??? I doubt with your butt you can feel the difference.

Old 05-01-2007, 01:50 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by VQguy
DaveB, I am not here to pick a fight with you or anyone else. This was part of my hesitation in writing what I finally decided upon. I do not want to sit here back and forth picking at your points and then waiting for you to pick at mine.
I don't want to pick a fight either. It's just when I read your post and towards the end read that most of all the information you posted came directly from the vendor raised my eyebrow. Also, the statements about balanced cranks and American V8 motors being externally balanced is one of those undying myths perpetuated by the informed import crowd and when I hear that statement, I pretty disregard anything else the person posts. It's nothing against you though because you're just relaying information.

Do what you wish with your cars and have fun. If the UDP gives you what you want, then it's good for you. For me, I bought an UDP because I believed the positive reviews; however my qualitative and quantitative results were wildly different than the accepted norm. I then began researching UDPs and realized it wasn't the mod it was cracked up to be, for me. Therefore I removed from my VQ30 and I will not install one my VQ35.

Old 05-01-2007, 04:53 AM
Originally Posted by RebelinRI
MechEE......... Buddy, how the hell are you? Still going after these pulley guys huh. That's ok. Never liked this mod but I do like the flywheel one. Had one before and I'll have another soon. I will agree that most is felt in first then dies out like Jeff said higher up in the gears. I call this the "get out of the hole" mod. Good for take offs and going through the first couple of gears pretty much. I know Trey you feel it hurt your launch but with the flywheel, you need to re-learn all over again. We could all do like the "Rock Crawlers" and go even heavier so we won't stall or bog on takeoffs. 5hp??? I doubt with your butt you can feel the difference.
Haha... doing well, you? Yeah, lightened pullies have a special place in my heart, what can I say? They're such a perfect academic exercise with 100% application to the real world.

I agree on the flywheel comments: they're good for "get[ting] out of the hole", at least on a naturally aspirated car. Generally when I've modified a car to the point where I'm thinking of putting in a lightened flywheel, I've already broken down and added forced induction (last car was a turbocharged GTI VR6), at which point traction in 1st is already a problem and I want all of the rotational inertia I can get to prevent wheelspin.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:11 AM
Staff Alumni
Originally Posted by DaveB
Do what you wish with your cars and have fun. If the UDP gives you what you want, then it's good for you. For me, I bought an UDP because I believed the positive reviews; however my qualitative and quantitative results were wildly different than the accepted norm. I then began researching UDPs and realized it wasn't the mod it was cracked up to be, for me.
This is one area where you and I differ. Like you, I've been fairly selective with my mods(just not as much). I research each mod until I have a high confidence. However, not one mod has given me the gains I've seen in countless dynos. I didn't have high expectations for anything but the test pipes, utec, or the mrev. But none of those gave me anything close to what some others are seeing.

But here's where we differ: I don't think these mods don't work. They just weren't as effective for me as for some others. Each car is different, and will respond uniquely.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:48 AM
Red Card Crew

Actually, the flywheel's benefit would also be felt even at a 1:1 gear ratio. It's just not amplified as much. So any gear from 1st to the 1:1 gear would show gains. Not just in 1st.

Old 05-01-2007, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Actually, the flywheel's benefit would also be felt even at a 1:1 gear ratio. It's just not amplified as much. So any gear from 1st to the 1:1 gear would show gains. Not just in 1st.
Sure, there are gains. The question is how much, and can they actually be "felt"?

Gains from inertia changes coupled to the motor scale from gear to gear with the square of the relative ratios (see an old page I wrote here that explains this math). That is, if you have gain G1 in 1st gear, the gain in the upper gears would be:

G2 = G1*(r2/r1)^2
G3 = G1*(r3/r1)^2
... where r1, r2, etc are the gear ratios for gears 1, 2, etc.

For the G35, the gear ratios are 3.794, 2.324, 1.624, 1.271, 1.000, 0.794. So the gains as a relative percentage of the 1st gear gains are:

2nd: (2.324/3.794)^2 = 38%
3rd: 18%
4th: 11%
5th: 7%
6th: 4%

So if you insanely lightened your flywheel to the point of a 10% gain in 1st gear, you'd still be down to a 0.7% gain in your 1:1 gear (5th), and there's no way you're feeling that (unless your name is DaveB).

Last edited by MechEE; 05-01-2007 at 03:55 PM.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:45 PM
Red Card Crew

Are those % gains relative to 1st gear? Ie.. over and above 1st gear gains? I'd take that. Expecially when these gains are more pronounced in the gears you actually care about.

And no, the flywheel was not "insanely" lightened. The everyday drivability was only minimally reduced. And this is someone that commuted everyday in stop/go traffic. Someone that brought his daughter to grandma's everyday.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Installed new NonStopTuning pulleys