Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

converting to E85 Ethanol

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 03:09 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
converting to E85 Ethanol

just wondering if anyone done this before...converting into e85 ethanol or fuels... just wondering, because i was trying to figure out a way to convert my G into E85...saw that you only need a few hoses etc, filter etc... around 100 to 400 dollars for E85. Just wondering if anyone knows anything about this... and would it even be worth it....

Old 02-22-2007, 10:29 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Why would you want to decrease MPG by 25% and limit where the car could be driven in the future.............many states don't have E85 and never will over life of the vehicle.

Careful the injectors are only rated to function with E10........they may fail quickly with E85, same with fuel tank coating

Old 02-22-2007, 01:08 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
E85 ethanol is BS, the decrease in gas mileage offsets the lower cost and it becomes MORE EXPENSIVE! Loss of power also occurs because ethanol intrisicly has less thermal energy that it can release upon combustion due to the OH bonds which don't supply the same amount of energy as a carbon bond

Old 02-22-2007, 01:44 PM
ahh.. see that bull **** of not telling about the lower mileage per gallon... now i know thanks... but uhmm there are other fuels out there... i might even try them after i research them and get more ppls opinions from driver

Old 02-22-2007, 02:08 PM
I'm all for 10% ethanol if it becomes a nationwide standard. You suffer 2-3% decrease in mileage/power, but conserve 10% of the gasoline consumed by the US. Its a good way to slow the rate of use while other alternatives are developed. There is only so much oil left, and if we can cut a small chunk out of the usage without any major sideeffects, then its a great way of prolonging our resources

Old 02-22-2007, 02:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
actually i thought there was a decrease in MPG and substiantial decrease in cost per gallon and increased performance ( higher octane )

ppp

Old 02-22-2007, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by redlude97
I'm all for 10% ethanol if it becomes a nationwide standard. You suffer 2-3% decrease in mileage/power, but conserve 10% of the gasoline consumed by the US. Its a good way to slow the rate of use while other alternatives are developed. There is only so much oil left, and if we can cut a small chunk out of the usage without any major sideeffects, then its a great way of prolonging our resources

yup true that... we only have so much oil left... but i was watching that discover future car stuff...awsome stuff... hydrogen etc... that be hella pimp

Old 02-22-2007, 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by Potty_Pants
actually i thought there was a decrease in MPG and substiantial decrease in cost per gallon and increased performance ( higher octane )

ppp
ethanol does have a higher natural octane than gas, but that just means less octane boosters are needed to get it to the normal level for cars, so no performance increase from octane alone, it does have a lower cost, but that is on a per gallon basis, when you break it down to a per mile basis, its more expensive, with lower performance. Thats because it has a lower thermal capacity compared to gasoline. There is no way around this fact.

Old 02-23-2007, 12:12 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Unfortunately thanks to ethanols higher octane distillers have been able to reduce the quality of the gasoline created to accept the ethanol........

Kind of like what happened when MTBE was first used.......the magic elixar made the fuel functional.

A secret is to blend 50/50: half ethanolized premium with half non ethanolized premium.........little downside and some upside.

Watch out there have been cases where the cheapo premium has been sold WITHOUT the necessary amounts of ethanol [shortages on that day of blending]
or just to save money when gas was $1.44 [before tax] and ethanol $2.20

http://customer1.barchart.com/custom/vsn/5651.htm

http://customer1.barchart.com/custom/vsn/5207.htm

Last edited by Q45tech; 02-23-2007 at 12:16 PM.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:22 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
If you have E85 burning in your car..you will be putting down alot more power for sure, haha on a FI car you will prolly see around 50+ HP on the dyno...I actually posted a thread about it a while ago and didnt get many responces.

-sean

Old 02-24-2007, 04:01 AM
Originally Posted by Nismo G
If you have E85 burning in your car..you will be putting down alot more power for sure, haha on a FI car you will prolly see around 50+ HP on the dyno...I actually posted a thread about it a while ago and didnt get many responces.

-sean
crazy ****.. haha thats maybe if i go fi ever...

Old 02-28-2007, 07:06 AM
Originally Posted by Nismo G

-sean
This is incorrect, running e85, you'll see significantly less power, not more. There is no way you will see 50hp+ on an FI car running E85.

Old 02-28-2007, 07:16 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i might be converting my Z to straight methanol after the high compression motor is built, we have been talking about doing this for a couple month now. i t might be right around the corner, with straight methanol, you will automatically pick up 15% more hp plus it burns so cold you can really take advantage of it on a high compression turbo motor. we plan on filling in the coolant passages completely. with straight methanol, the engine burns so cold that it never really gets over 100-120 degrees, people actually turn off the water pumps and fans to warm the motors up.

downside is that methanol really rusts parts FAST, (crank, rods, bolts,etc) so you have to drain out ALL the methanol after ever use of the car and run straight gasoline with a cleaner/lubricant through the motor. my car is pretty much a race car now (350z) so it wont be that difficult to do.

methanol also eats all rubber parts up so whole fuel system needs to be solid aluminum or steel lines or possibly kevlar steel braided. you cant use any rubber orings or it will eat them up fast.

im still debating it. i will have my high high compression motor done here in about a week and a half, keep an eye out...

Old 02-28-2007, 11:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^ interesting. thanks and let us know how you decide.

Old 02-28-2007, 01:00 PM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
This is incorrect, running e85, you'll see significantly less power, not more. There is no way you will see 50hp+ on an FI car running E85.
This is incorrect. Running E85 you can run more timing, meaning more power.

The downside, is to accomidate for the lack of energy in the E85 you'll need ~30% more fuel injected, meaning bigger injectors with longer duty cycles.

E85 as a performance fuel = good (not great)

E85 as a daily driving fuel = bad

It will never catch on because Americans are too lazy and don't care enough. You will fill your car 30% more using E85 over regular gas, meaning if you fill up every 10 days now, you will fill up every 7 days on E85.

That goes from ~37 fill ups a year to ~52. 15 more fill ups, at an average of 15 minutes a piece = 225 minutes. I would have to DVR 45 more 30 minute TV shows in order to offset the time wasted on E85!

Also, consider that it takes as much energy to make ethanol out of corn as the ethanol provides. This is a terrible energy conversion. The US, unfortunately, does not have the proper setting for ethanol. Energy ratio from corn is 1:1 while Sugar cane is 7:1. This is how Brazil can run their entie country off of ethanol and make it sound so easy. We don't have that much sugar cane!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: converting to E85 Ethanol