Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Thinking about UR Ultra S Crank Pulley: Set or Crank?

Old 04-20-2007, 08:54 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Thinking about UR Ultra S Crank Pulley: Set or Crank?

I'm thinking about getting the UR Crank Pulley. The only thing I expect is better throttle response. If I do end up getting more power, good. If not, oh well.

After doing some research here and elsewhere, I still have alot of questions not answered.

Why should I go with the UR Pullet SET instead of just the UR Crank Pulley? From what I understand, the Crank pulley is the only thing that matters. The rest might free up some weight, but nothing significant since its not at the crank.

As of now, im leaning toward just the UR crank pulley; its cheap and worth a shot. (Estimated at $190).

I'll be getting an ECU reflashed, so any problems with these underdrive [crank] pulley's should be eliminated... I hope .

Thanks to anyone with feedback/help. If anyone wants to point out anything important not directly related to my question, please do. The more I know, the better.

Old 04-22-2007, 05:06 PM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
I have been debating getting this as well. My belts are strating to show signs of fatigue and I thought about just getting the whole set with belts and calling it a day. I am curious to see what other are going to say

Old 04-22-2007, 08:25 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Henry, the crank pulley will not actually give better throttle response, but faster revs so it may appear to give better throttle... it doesn't affect the TB or throttle plate so the actual throttle response will be the same.

Some report quicker acceleration in theory because of the faster revs...

TS ECU flash won’t do anything in relation to the pulley... it is primarily air/fuel... and also rev limiter bumped up, speed limiter delete and drive by wire adjustments that do result in true better throttle response.

You may want to wait until you get the breather mods you've been talking about before spending the $$$ on ECU.

As far as pros/cons of pulley - I know you have researched it so no doubt you have realized it's the most controversial mod out here... literally every thread I've seen has as many positive feedback as it does negative… some threads go for dozens of pages.

I will say I haven't read, heard or seen any reports of engine problems internally with properly installed UR crank pulley - however I do not have one. I literally haven’t concluded for myself that it is or isn’t worthwhile. For me unless I'm certain (in my own mind) that a mod will benefit, I don’t use it... I might get this later though you never know.

my $.02 fwiw

Edit: regarding the set vs crank - looks only.

Old 04-22-2007, 09:10 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Thanks Mike.

As far as the ECU reflash, I definately will not even think about it until I have a few breather mods. Regarding the ECU reflash and pulley, I know it will not affect it directly. But from what I understand, the only drawbacks of having an underdrive pulley is that it affects the efficiency of the alternater and ability to charge. So, getting an ECU reflash would raise my idle a bit, which theoretically should illiminate the underdrive issue.

The mod is definately controversial; I hear very great reviews about it, and some that have felt no impact what so ever.

I guess I'll have to find out for myself; its inexpensive and worth a try.

Old 04-22-2007, 09:31 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by skaterbasist
Thanks Mike.

As far as the ECU reflash, I definately will not even think about it until I have a few breather mods. Regarding the ECU reflash and pulley, I know it will not affect it directly. But from what I understand, the only drawbacks of having an underdrive pulley is that it affects the efficiency of the alternater and ability to charge. So, getting an ECU reflash would raise my idle a bit, which theoretically should illiminate the underdrive issue.

The mod is definately controversial; I hear very great reviews about it, and some that have felt no impact what so ever.

I guess I'll have to find out for myself; its inexpensive and worth a try.

yep, it's inexpensive... and so long as you don't follow the theory of harmonic balancing and damper issues it’s got nothing negative… again I don’t have a viable opinion one way or the other…

I don’t know about TS ECU flash raising your idle… The idle can be raised, but to my knowledge a standard flash doesn’t do it… I’ve had two and my idle has never gone up. Even with higher idle though I’m not sure that is going to help you with any lack of alternator efficiency – and frankly I’m not so sure there is enough of an affect on the alternator to warrant any concern… all part of the controversy I guess…

Good news is if you have it installed properly it can’t (or shouldn’t) hurt – according to most users reports.

Old 04-23-2007, 12:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it's all about rotating mass - also, the complete set will help w/ parasitic drag. i know ( in other cars, not the g ) people would disconnect their AC belts during ( the winter ) again, i'm new to the G35 / INFINITY - but i'm sure the principle is the same.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:38 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
crank pulley is the only one that will do anything, the other ones are for show only.

Old 05-01-2007, 01:11 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've got a set - full set, only used for a day!

Let me know if your interested - $200...

Old 05-01-2007, 01:15 AM
Banned
Save your money and buy a flywheel.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:31 PM
The UR kit is good, high quality, stuff. But I would suggest going with the NST 3pc set. The NST crank pulley is a light weight underdrive pulley, you will get better throttle response and a bit of underdrive to send a little more power to your wheels. The great thing is that they also offer an overdrive alternator pulley to complement their kit, this pulleys will make sure that your electrical system works just as well as the stock setup. No worries about dimming lights or batteries getting weak with the NST stuff. Plus all their pulleys are much lighter than stock, so if you are after throttle response you will see better gains as you drop more weight from the rotating assembly.

www.NonStopTuning.com

Old 05-01-2007, 12:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The only advantage of the NST is the larger alternator pulley,a nd that only comes into play of you have a really big stereo.

When I was NA, I ran the UR pulleys as well, with 2000W of stereo - never and issue. Still have the stereo and FI now though, no more UR pulleys either.

Both the NST and UR pulley systems are under driven. Personally, I like the UR as they have been around for decades doing this.

Rick

Old 05-01-2007, 08:37 PM
Both kits are great. None of the NST pulleys are larger than stock. The words overdrive and underdrive do not necessarily have anything to do with size, they have to do with speed associated with them.

Both options are great, they each do what they are meant to. On a relative note, just because one company has been around for a long time it does not mean they are clearly the best. Innovation and advancements usually come from new companies who improve upon existing ideas and make advancements.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:27 PM
+1 for NST. I've got their full set on my G for 5 months now and am very happy with the quality and finish of the pulleys. Haven't had any problems with them.

My car definately revs faster now and gains just a little bit of horsepower. Check out my thread called "Installed new NonStopTuning pulleys" for the dyno results. Plus these cost a bit less than the UR ones for a company that is very respectable.