Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Mobil 1 Oil Users # 2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 01:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
I've emailed them so it will be in writing. Let's see if they will even reply

Exactly WHAT disinformation? All you have is the spoken word of someone at Mobil.

I have:
1) Gas Chromatograph readings
2) Clear label change in the bottles for no apparent reason
3) Data from a non-biased oil forum indicating they feel Mobil has indeed changed their formula (a site you have not been able to discredit in anyway, shape or form)
4) That site stating the reasons WHY Mobil would change to Group III stocks. Which coupled to reason 2) and the statements indicating why Mobil had to change the labelling, makes me at least question what YOU are stating.

All of your data isn't written. It's solely based on the spoken word of some Mobil rep. Sorry, that's not enough for me. Show me some written data, show me a MSDS with a Base IV CAS #, show me an oil analysis proving the base stocks are primarily group IV, then I'll be willing to look at it.

Been there, done that. Your, "unbiased", oil forum is infested with nameless, faceless individuals who work for competing oil companies.

Believe what you want.

Disinformation = spreading, "information", that is not correct.

Old 05-17-2007, 01:18 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
I'll believe just that. Until you have actual proof OR EVEN A LINK indicating otherwise, then your statements are just as baseless as you are claiming others to be.

Just a link. Should be very easy if what you claim is true correct? I'll look at it. I've NEVER seen any particular unfounded bias to any particular oil. If anything, they love Amsoil. If that "bias" you are referring to is Mobil, then by what means can you make that statement? Up to recently, they raved about Mobil. And even then, they still SPECIFCALLY say Mobil is still a decent oil.

Originally Posted by HiTechOilCo
Been there, done that. Your, "unbiased", oil forum is infested with nameless, faceless individuals who work for competing oil companies.

Believe what you want.

Disinformation = spreading, "information", that is not correct.

Last edited by Jeff92se; 05-17-2007 at 01:22 PM.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:27 PM
Red Card Crew

My original question:

1) Is it true that your Mobil 1 oil is no longer a PAO Group IV synthtetic?

2) And why has the "100% synthetic" statement been removed from your label when it would be benefical to retain it from a marketing standpoint? (If Mobil 1 is indeed still a Group IV?

Thanks
This was their reply:

Thank you for your inquiry,

To meet the demanding requirements of today's
specifications (and our customers' expectations) Mobil 1 uses
high-performance synthetic fluids, including polyalphaolefins
(PAO, groupIV),
along
with a proprietary system of additives. In fact, each Mobil 1
viscosity
grade uses a specific combination of synthetic fluids and
selected
additives in order to tailor the viscosity grade to its unique
requirement.
Note they don't directly reply to my questions. and the word "including" could mean anything. Especially when they state first "high-performance synthetic fluids" which by industry definition of course mean group III. So what one must conclude is the main ingredient is mentioned 1st and secondary is mentioned after.

They also didn't answer the question regarding the labelling. Wonderful

Last edited by Jeff92se; 05-17-2007 at 01:30 PM.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
My original question:
This was their reply:
Note they don't directly reply to my questions. and the word "including" could mean anything. Especially when they state first "high-performance synthetic fluids" which by industry definition of course mean group III. So what one must conclude is the main ingredient is mentioned 1st and secondary is mentioned after.

Are you familiar with form letters and why they are used? You received a form letter. E-mail them back. Be persistent and you will receive the same information I did, that Mobil 1 is indeed a PAO based, Group IV synthetic oil.

Call 1-800-662-4525 and speak to a Manager. Most of the better synthetic oils are indeed a blend of different base stocks. Nothing scandalous there.

Old 05-17-2007, 01:41 PM
Red Card Crew

Their statement is completely contradictary to what you are trying to state.

If their oil is indeed Group IV, I see no reason to have them state otherwise in any letter, phone conversation or etc....

Blend of base stocks. Okay, I can accept that. But if they are listing in order of content, then Mobil 1 isn't mostly Group IV. It's mostly Group III with a "BIT" of group IV. Which perfectly aligns with everything I've presented.

So not only only is that oil forum biased, Mobil 1 itself is biased! I get it now!

But hey, explain it to me. Please explain why Mobil 1 would send out a "form letter" stating their Mobil 1 is made up of a lower grade base stock when apparently it's not. I cannot fathom why they would do that. I'd like to hear it. I'm ready....

Are you familiar with form letters and why they are used? You received a form letter. E-mail them back. Be persistent and you will receive the same information I did, that Mobil 1 is indeed a PAO based, Group IV synthetic oil.

Call 1-800-662-4525 and speak to a Manager. Most of the better synthetic oils are indeed a blend of different base stocks. Nothing scandalous there.

Last edited by Jeff92se; 05-17-2007 at 01:44 PM.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For crying out loud . . .

This is quickly becoming a useless thread, if not already.

Old 05-18-2007, 10:01 AM
Well for my two cents...I've always used a mobil product. Having gone through 2 boat motors and recent VQ rebuild due too sub par parts for boosted applications, Im interested in this debate. You both have good points, but I'd have to agree a little bit with Jeff for the fact there is no striaght answer from anyone. I cant imagine calling the number and having them tell me that there product ISNT the best. So the I guess we'll never know. Maybe I'll check that other site.

Old 05-18-2007, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Nismo G
hmm, good find. I thought the same thing as you while reading all the mobil bashing post. If mobil was that bad why would race cars use it? Why would mobil be one of the biggest sponcers for race vehicles if it was so bad.

I thought it was kind of weird...

-Sean

agreeed

Old 05-18-2007, 10:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In anycase...i switched from mobil 1 to amsoil......can't go wrong either way for my G35

Old 05-18-2007, 10:38 AM
god dammit!!

can someone just tell me what I should fill my VQ with!?!?!!? im sick of going back and forth between different oils.

Old 05-18-2007, 10:42 AM
WORD

Old 05-18-2007, 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by Neal376
god dammit!!

can someone just tell me what I should fill my VQ with!?!?!!? im sick of going back and forth between different oils.
That's easy. If you want the best, use AMSOIL. But only pay wholesale prices of course!

Steve
CEO of Hi-Tech Oil Co.
Offering superior quality AMSOIL synthetic lubricants for almost 20 years.

Last edited by HiTechOilCo; 05-18-2007 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by Iceman8
Well for my two cents...I've always used a mobil product. Having gone through 2 boat motors and recent VQ rebuild due too sub par parts for boosted applications, Im interested in this debate. You both have good points, but I'd have to agree a little bit with Jeff for the fact there is no striaght answer from anyone. I cant imagine calling the number and having them tell me that there product ISNT the best. So the I guess we'll never know. Maybe I'll check that other site.
The straight answer was provided by Mobil --> "Mobil 1 is a PAO based, Group IV synthetic oil". Period.

Steve
CEO of Hi-Tech Oil Co.

Old 05-18-2007, 11:28 AM
Steve: sent you an PM.

Old 05-18-2007, 11:36 AM
Red Card Crew

That aint what they said to me.

My original question:

Quote:
1) Is it true that your Mobil 1 oil is no longer a PAO Group IV synthtetic?

2) And why has the "100% synthetic" statement been removed from your label when it would be benefical to retain it from a marketing standpoint? (If Mobil 1 is indeed still a Group IV?

Thanks

This was their reply:

Quote:
Thank you for your inquiry,

To meet the demanding requirements of today's
specifications (and our customers' expectations) Mobil 1 uses
high-performance synthetic fluids, including polyalphaolefins
(PAO, groupIV), along
with a proprietary system of additives. In fact, each Mobil 1
viscosity
grade uses a specific combination of synthetic fluids and
selected
additives in order to tailor the viscosity grade to its unique
requirement.

The straight answer was provided by Mobil --> "Mobil 1 is a PAO based, Group IV synthetic oil". Period.

Steve
CEO of Hi-Tech Oil Co.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 Oil Users # 2