Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Comparison facts about G35 Sedan and Coupe HP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 04:47 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Comparison facts about G35 Sedan and Coupe HP

After 8 months here, I think I can safely say it's not a justification thing-- it's more one constant defense. Unfortunately, we're plagued with "why would you ever buy the sedan?" etc. by certain ignorant members who believe that a) looks are the most important thing in a car (and of course, theirs is the sexiest thing to ever exist), and b) the coupe and sedan aren't related at all. This happens in the Sedan Forum all the time-- a new, not-quite-educated coupe member wanders in and just responds to a random post with "it's ugly and slow", then it all begins again.

To have a factual leg to stand on is a nice thing, which is why I believe this research continues. The narrowing gap is something many don't want to believe, and thus it will never cease.

But I could be wrong.

Good job on getting the cars, dynos, observations, and research going-- I'd be interested to see the final results.

G

2003.5 Black w/ Willow G35
Premium / Sport / Aero / Winter / Navi / Tint

Old 01-16-2004, 06:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's funny how my "coast-down" comment was completely dismissed by the author of this thread.

First, you make blanket assumptions, and then when challenged to back up your supposed facts, you have no answer?

And GeoBau,

I hate to break it to you, but I think it's safe to say that most people that buy a new car look for a car that is pleasing to their eyes, first and foremost.

If I found a car that met every single one of my criteria in a car, but found the car to be ugly or plain looking, I would not buy it. And I know I'm not alone there......

Old 01-16-2004, 06:59 PM

naughty,

I assume your statement "The one thing the coupe has over the Sedan is that the coupe has the better looking body style." is an expression of your personal opinion. Please don't speak for me.

DaveO
2003 G35 Sedan - DP / Willow / AT / Premium / Sport
350Z Engine Cover, T-Stat & Air Duct / Stillen CAI
GG 7-Wire H-G Kit / TS ECU / E-Fans
Street Edge TC / B&M Cooler / Stillen Exhaust

Old 01-16-2004, 07:21 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin

Perhaps I was not clear. Looks are not the measuring stick by which performance cars should be measured, especially when they're used as a "last resort" argument. ie. "Your car may be faster, but mine's prettier!"... that's just dumb.

If it were the difference between an Elise and a Chevy Celebrity, I could see where it might be a consideration, however in these two cars share more in common, rendering the use of aesthetics as a main argument sad.

I personally put performance, comfort, aesthetics, and practicality high on my list- in no particular order. If one is overwhelmingly bad, I avoid the car, but I won't buy an inferior car simply because one criterion is leaps-and-bounds above the rest. We all make decisions differently... I just try to be logical.

G

Old 01-16-2004, 07:34 PM

Well, logical or not, if I buy a car and don't like what I see every time I walk up to it in a parking lot, I'll never be happy. Even if it's an amazing car in all other respects.

To each their own, though.....

Old 01-16-2004, 07:37 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

naughty,

I assume your statement "The one thing the coupe has over the Sedan is that the coupe has the better looking body style." is an expression of your personal opinion. Please don't speak for me.

<hr></blockquote>

Just the very fact that he said it does make it his opinion. How did you figure he was speaking for you?

Old 01-16-2004, 09:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

Old 01-16-2004, 11:38 PM

355, that's beauty! Go ahead all you CA boys argue about which is better sedan or coupe, leave the speed to the NC boys. Nice job Steve, can't wait to see that charger! That's gotta be the fastest G in Cary.

Old 01-17-2004, 12:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fastest G in Cary? With 425 HP at the crank, I think it's the fastest G35 Sedan in the United States, LOL...

--Steve

Old 01-17-2004, 03:30 AM

Let's just assume for a moment that these dynos are absolutely correct, and that both were done under the exact same conditions on the exact same day:

Then it looks like you are not following your own advice

Look at the numbers more carefully. The power to weight rato for the coupe is still better.

2003.5 5AT
<font color=black> Black/Willow Coupe </font color=black>
Premium Package
18" Tire/Wheel Package
K&N Filter, Z-Tube, EGK

Old 01-17-2004, 02:57 PM

When I first got my sedan, i had some buyers remorse. I wanted two things, more power, and coupe looks. I even concitered trading it in right away. But the longer i had it, the more i realized that although the coupe was pretty, there was something about it that was rubbing me the wrong way. I made a few trips to my dealership for service and used that time to look at the coupe long and hard.

I finally realized what I didn't like about the coupe. It looks like it has some huge ground effects or something. I think it should be thinner from floorboard to the top of the door... or longer. i actually have a simular complaint about the sedan with the NISMO kit.

One thing i will say is that the sedan needs one of two things to make it look good. Either a spoiler (factory) or bigger wheels.

And no one can argue that power isn;t the only performance indicator. The Brembos are awsome breaks. The sedan definitly lags behind here... as well as with handling (I believe)

For now, if power is comparable I'll be happy with my sedan. it looks great, and its got 4 doors.

As far as the looks argument goes, I do believe that most casual passers by would like the coupe better. it is more exotic. But I had to look at it every day, I'de go sedan. It's not worth arguing over the looks though-looks are an opinion call. And we all know opinions are like a certain body part. Everybodys got one, and everybody thinks that everyone elses stinks.

("no mine's better." "no mine's better." "no mine's better." "no mine's better." "no mine's better." "no mine's better." "no mine's better." "no mine's better." "no mine's better." "no mine's better......"

Old 01-17-2004, 10:02 PM

2k2MaximaRIP, who's did you say was better, again?

Poor GeoBau you must be getting tired justifying your sedan purchase. Ooops, did I say justifying, I meant defending. LOL.

Why can't we all just get along. If we continue at this rate, admins/moderators might split us up into separate forums. Then sedan owners won't be allowed to post in the coupe section, and coupe owners won't be allowed to post in the sedan section. I have to admit that most of these posts are started by sedan owners though . Just kidding. Peace to EVERYONE.

G35 Coupe. Diamond Graphite, Graphite, Premium and wheel and Tire package. Zaino Baby.

Old 01-17-2004, 10:22 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin

Nah, I volunteered as a teacher in a 1st grade classroom, so I'm used to what I say not being fully comprehended [img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Kidding [img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img]

G

Old 01-17-2004, 10:45 PM

Let's get to the math that really counts?

Which holds more honey, coupes or sedans?

LOL... Cheers, Ted

'03 Sedan 5a: BS/G, Prem, Aero/Body, Sport, Nav
Click for MODS or Vote at Online Showoff

Old 01-17-2004, 11:25 PM

Put the sedan and the coupe side-by-side, and see which one will have more honeys next to it. Lol. See, we can all just joke about it.

G35 Coupe. Diamond Graphite, Graphite, Premium and wheel and Tire package. Zaino Baby.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Comparison facts about G35 Sedan and Coupe HP