Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Oil issue recall or warranty?

  #1  
Old 08-21-2007, 12:08 PM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 108
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oil issue recall or warranty?

I was considering getting a 05 g35 coupe 6mt, but the oil consumption concerns me. Is this a recall where it doesnt't matter the year or mileage or must the car fall under warranty. Is this pretty common on almost all Gs or was there just a bad small batch. thanks for any help BTW I tried search, but could not find these answers.
 
  #2  
Old 08-21-2007, 02:54 PM
Andy2434's Avatar
Super Moderator
iTrader: (6)
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: S.F. Bay Area
Posts: 11,717
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The oil consumption issue seems to be more prevalent among the '05 to '06 G's equipped with the 6MT. However, as time goes, I would expect to read about some of the '07's sharing the same issue. However, I have read and heard about non RevUp G's having engines swapped out due to high engine oil consumption, as well.

At the present time, there is no recall for this situation. Owners of G's, whom ask for an engine oil consumption test, can have the engines replaced if the engine oil consumption test reflects high oil consumption. I am currently on my 2nd 1000 mile interval of the said test.

This is actually the second test that I have asked for. The 1st round of testing, which was conducted some 2 years ago, showed acceptable levels of oil consumption. It's a different story, now . . . As my 1st 1000 mile test reveals that 1-1/2 qts. of oil was consumed in some 950 miles.

Regardless of what model G you might opt for . . . If you feel that the engine is consuming a large amount of oil . . . You are best advised to take the car in for further evaluation.
 
  #3  
Old 08-21-2007, 03:28 PM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 108
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for reply, but does Infiniti pay for the new motor? Also is this a situation with almost all Gs?
 
  #4  
Old 08-21-2007, 05:23 PM
Andy2434's Avatar
Super Moderator
iTrader: (6)
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: S.F. Bay Area
Posts: 11,717
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 1SIKH22
Thanks for reply, but does Infiniti pay for the new motor? Also is this a situation with almost all Gs?
Yes, Infiniti/Nissan pays for the new engine and labor.
 
  #5  
Old 08-21-2007, 05:38 PM
brb getting cut
iTrader: (2)
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 4,255
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
u think theres a way for me to test this out right now? i only have 400 miles so far, but it would be a good thing to know
 
  #6  
Old 08-21-2007, 08:58 PM
Andy2434's Avatar
Super Moderator
iTrader: (6)
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: S.F. Bay Area
Posts: 11,717
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by M.I.A. BlazinVQ
u think theres a way for me to test this out right now? i only have 400 miles so far, but it would be a good thing to know
Simply check your engine oil level frequently. For starters, check the oil level in the morning and make note of where the oil lies on the dip stick . . . And be sure to note the mileage, as well. Keep track and note the oil level at 500 mile intervals.
 
  #7  
Old 08-22-2007, 10:10 AM
Registered User
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Marietta, Georgia
Posts: 2,514
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
On those years affected it seems to be less than 1 in 100 engines, generally affects MT more than automatics. Especially those that don't breakin rings correctly - over stress when brand new.
 
  #8  
Old 08-23-2007, 12:07 AM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 108
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Q45tech
On those years affected it seems to be less than 1 in 100 engines, generally affects MT more than automatics. Especially those that don't breakin rings correctly - over stress when brand new.
thanks, thats what I was lookin for
 
  #9  
Old 08-23-2007, 12:10 AM
Registered User
iTrader: (4)
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: northern california
Posts: 2,004
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if they replace the engine as a result of excessive oil consumption, isn't the new engine going to do the same thing? i mean it's just another vq right? they didn't improve anything.
 
  #10  
Old 08-23-2007, 12:37 AM
Andy2434's Avatar
Super Moderator
iTrader: (6)
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: S.F. Bay Area
Posts: 11,717
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by superdds
if they replace the engine as a result of excessive oil consumption, isn't the new engine going to do the same thing? i mean it's just another vq right? they didn't improve anything.
Leon,

It's been reported by a few My350Z members that Nissan has been replacing members' engines with a newer version of the RevUp engine. They may be possibly updating the engine with different pistons and rings . . . So say the rumors.
 
  #11  
Old 08-23-2007, 12:52 AM
Registered User
iTrader: (4)
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: northern california
Posts: 2,004
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a former infiniti service tech advised me it was the same engine...nothing new.
 
  #12  
Old 04-11-2019, 10:31 AM
Registered User
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Infiniti G35
Originally Posted by Andy2434 View Post
The oil consumption issue seems to be more prevalent among the '05 to '06 G's equipped with the 6MT. However, as time goes, I would expect to read about some of the '07's sharing the same issue. However, I have read and heard about non RevUp G's having engines swapped out due to high engine oil consumption, as well.

At the present time, there is no recall for this situation. Owners of G's, whom ask for an engine oil consumption test, can have the engines replaced if the engine oil consumption test reflects high oil consumption. I am currently on my 2nd 1000 mile interval of the said test.

This is actually the second test that I have asked for. The 1st round of testing, which was conducted some 2 years ago, showed acceptable levels of oil consumption. It's a different story, now . . . As my 1st 1000 mile test reveals that 1-1/2 qts. of oil was consumed in some 950 miles.

Regardless of what model G you might opt for . . . If you feel that the engine is consuming a large amount of oil . . . You are best advised to take the car in for further evaluation.
So does Nissan/Infiniti still cover an engine replacement if the car isnít under warranty?
 
  #13  
Old 04-11-2019, 12:14 PM
cleric670@gmail's Avatar
BANNED!!!
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Washington State
Posts: 6,683
Received 769 Likes on 710 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Not a chance.
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
derres
G35 Cars
3
08-28-2015 03:27 PM
123ethan
Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
1
08-15-2015 09:24 PM
newg37
G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07
1
07-26-2015 09:32 AM
ClwMike
G35 Sedan V35 2003-06
7
07-23-2015 12:55 PM
newbdriver01
G35 Cars
2
07-15-2015 06:10 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Oil issue recall or warranty?


Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: