Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

2003 G35 Sedan 4k to spend on mods, what would you do?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 03:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 G35 Sedan 4k to spend on mods, what would you do?

I will soon be getting a 2003 g35 with about 100k miles on it for free. This car has been babied its whole life and has had all of the service done. I will have around 4k to spend on modifications and was wanted to get the best bang for my buck. I want to concentrate on straight line performance but will be picking up a sway bar and a strut bar. I am not too big on a droning exhaust but am willing to get something that is aggressive at high rpm. What would be the best way I could put this money into the car? So far I was thinking of getting the Motodyne spacer, an intake, test pipes, and some sort of ECU tuning. Is a used supercharger out of the question? I am pretty new to these cars and am not sure what the best bang for buck mods are. Would it be smart to get a tranny cooler since it is a 5AT? Any suggestions would be appreciated, thx.

Old 08-29-2007, 02:13 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Some type of used FI and a VB mod. Not sure if you can do this for under $4k though.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:43 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
Save up a bit more for a Turbo.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:41 AM
This is all of the response I get to a straightforward question like this? Whenever I have asked questions like this on other forums about different cars I would get at least a little more response. So where do I go to find a more active g35 community online? This can't be it. There are tons of these cars on the streets. Is this the best it gets?

Old 09-03-2007, 10:30 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
$4K isn't much to spend to go forced induction and bolt on mods really don't add a lot of hp. If you get a Z intake tube, K&N filter, Motordyne spacer, high flow cats (or test pipes), and an exhaust, you might gain 30 - 35 whp. FI is the best bang for the buck to go fast.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:59 AM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Buy a used vortech kit - that will put you at and around 400 WHP. YOu should be able to pick one up for 3500 + the tune and install looking at about 4500 or so. Best bang for the buck there and an awesome kit FTW!

-Sean

Old 09-03-2007, 11:18 AM
Littering and...
Going FI after 100k miles...? I'm not really a FI genius but that doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

Trending Topics

Old 09-03-2007, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by App6MT
Going FI after 100k miles...? I'm not really a FI genius but that doesn't sound like a good idea to me.
Why not? I have 101,000 miles on my G and the thing still runs 13.8 on the 1/4 mile.

-Sean

Old 09-03-2007, 12:07 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by wootwoot123
This is all of the response I get to a straightforward question like this? Whenever I have asked questions like this on other forums about different cars I would get at least a little more response. So where do I go to find a more active g35 community online? This can't be it. There are tons of these cars on the streets. Is this the best it gets?

why don't you give a bit more info on the car you getting instead of bitching.

This board has over 50k members. Do you really think there is a better G forum out there?

I'm assuming you are not able to accumulate any more cash in short time. So I would suggest not to go FI cuz some maintenance and repair might follow that will require some $ that you might now have (just an assumption I don't know your situation) So I would suggest to go body mods and small performance bolt ons.

If you don't have rims..................get those asap. You can get nice used wheels from ppl here on a board for a good price and still have some $ left over for other mods (intake, plenum spacer, lovering springs)

Good luck and lighten up. You posted your thread right before the big weekend.
We do love this site and hang around here all the time but C'mon dude............PPL got life too.

Old 09-03-2007, 12:17 PM
Car has way too many miles for FI. Get a plenum spacer, pop charger, exhaust and engine management (I recommend a UTEC). If you have connection for getting it smogged, get test pipes.

You will get 45 more whp for 4K.

Old 09-03-2007, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
Car has way too many miles for FI. Get a plenum spacer, pop charger, exhaust and engine management (I recommend a UTEC). If you have connection for getting it smogged, get test pipes.

You will get 45 more whp for 4K.
Wrong, that engine will handle FI at a decent level (350WHP) for the rest of its life. Just have to worry about the tranny, might put a valve body in it.

-Sean

Old 09-03-2007, 03:50 PM
You are suggestion FI on a nearly 5 year old car (supsension brakes engine etc.) w/ 100K on it. The guy can't even afford an FI system let alone the new engine, tranny and everything else he will surely need if he follows your advice. Congratulations; I am a member of several enthusiast boards and you get first prize for misinforming newbs.

If you really must abuse the car, a 100 shot of Nitrous is a cheaper and better choice.

Last edited by Dr_jitsu; 09-03-2007 at 04:18 PM.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:48 PM
Thank you guys for the responses. Sorry for getting so jumpy about things I just found out about getting this car and am very excited about getting it. My grandfather has been the only owner of the car and has always gotten the car serviced at the dealership so I know it is in fairly good condition. When he bought it he put on every option they had, it even has a woodgrain dash. Anyways it looks like the mods I should be going after are a Z intake tube, K&N filter, Motordyne spacer, and test pipes. It looks like I won't be going FI so do the gains justify the price on an exhaust? Is the UTEC the only performance chip I can use on this G? (2003 right when it came out). I have read that I can not use the unichip since it uses a different harness that is not compatible with this car. Also is the UTEC tuned for your car at partial throttle as well as WOT? It looks as though I should reexamine handling modifications here since go fast mods don't look like they do too much. Any suggestions on coilovers for this and prices? Also are there any parts that can be swapped from a 350Z that will give any decent gains to performance/handling on the G? thx

Old 09-04-2007, 09:17 PM
If you just do the exhuast, plenum spacer, K and N, and z tube you will not need any engine managment since your A/F ratios will still be ok. test pipes will require eng management.

Just do those 3 and enjoy the car. save the 4k for other stuff.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:07 PM
Canada, eh?

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Test pipes won't necessary require engine management, if you do EVERYTHING all at once, you should get some management or else you will run lean.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2003 G35 Sedan 4k to spend on mods, what would you do?