Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Oil Change every 3K? What a joke.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 05:22 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
You sell amsoil too?
Desided to go with the mobil 1 0w-40...engine seems much happier in the morning.

-Sean

Old 10-04-2007, 06:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
You come here advocating extended drain intervals etc, and you don't even change your own oil? I damn for sure know I'm not introducing any excessive amount of dirt into my engine.
Dude, I do change my own oil. Using only top synthetic oil.
I don't let strangers near my engine. Especially low skill oil changers.
If I change my oil every 3K, I will be changing the oil in my DD every month or two.

Old 10-04-2007, 06:30 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Changing the oil too much... extend the oil change intervals...

Wait, we're supposed to change the oil in these things???

Old 10-04-2007, 06:31 PM
Really Needs a Life
Received 177 Likes on 136 Posts
i see it this way man, if your going to buy a car that retails in our price range then start actin like it.. i mean you pay what you get for and if your not going to even do something as little as maintain the oil then your car deserves to go boom.. but thats my .02

Old 10-04-2007, 06:33 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
You actually think you are informing us of anything new here? Nope.

In fact, recommending that long of an oil change WITHOUT mentioning changing the oil FILTER and getting oil analysis isn't smart.

Long change intervals don't mean jack if you oil is being stressed long before that 8-12k interval is up.

Originally Posted by HLMAX
If I change my oil every 3K, I will be changing the oil in my DD every month or two.

Old 10-04-2007, 06:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Owned

Old 10-04-2007, 07:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by redlude97
If you know its low at 3k, why aren't you topping it off inbetween? I'm not telling you to go to 15k intervals, but having the engine low on oil on a regular basis is never good.
Trust me I do. I just notice this from time to time when I don't have oil at home to top it off.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:14 PM
This is the most idiotic thread. I change my oil every 3K or 3 mo. whatever comes first. If you use synthetic every 5K-7K or 6 months. I would not go past 5K personally with synthetics, but that's me. I like to know I am providing great if not the best protections for my G35 for a cheap price. I will be changing to synthetic at my next oil change. I think it is funny to hear people complain about oil changes especially when they drive around in a 35-40K CAR!!!!.

Last edited by 05GCOUPE6MT; 10-04-2007 at 07:20 PM.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:40 PM
You actually think you are informing us of anything new here? Nope.

In fact, recommending that long of an oil change WITHOUT mentioning changing the oil FILTER and getting oil analysis isn't smart.

Long change intervals don't mean jack if you oil is being stressed long before that 8-12k interval is up.
That is just it, the oil is not being stressed much at 3k, under normal driving conditions.
The Toyota that I mentioned earlier with the factory recommended oil change interval or 9K heavy duty and 12K normal duty, happens to be a 1990 Cressida with a 7M-GE 24V DOHC engine, the same one use in the Supra. Very reliable, high performing engine at the time.
Oil change interval recommended for today's cars just seem unreasonably low for the benefit of the industry not the customer. Another good example is these new fancy extended interval oils like Mobil 1 Extended Performance with guarantee protection up to 15k is not really bring anything new to the table. The oil company know darn well that the oils are being changed out way earlier then need be; otherwise they would be stupid to give such a guarantee.

As for the high price of our cars, who the fck have the time to make appointment every couple of month to change the oil and throw money at the dealer.

Take it for what it is. I guess some of you guys are already brainwash into the oil change at 3k mentally. Heck, I guess it not my time and money anyways.

Old 10-05-2007, 01:56 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
So if someone changes their own oil, how are they hurting anything by introducing dirt into the engine like you claim? There are plenty of us here who use extended drain intervals, however we know that not ALL oils can withstand those, including some very expensive synthetics. Maybe if you came here with some facts and data to back up your claims some people might listen to you. Others have already done so way before you came around

Old 10-05-2007, 11:22 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
"Good luck getting any warrantee work done the second they find out you're going 15K between oil change"

Good luck if you even exceed 7501 miles or 180 days as per written warranty limit in document.

The purpose of 90 [180]day visits to dealer is to document you are a good and careful consumer and for the dealer techs to find faults that they can charge Nissan Warranty to repair.

What you do after warranty is soley up to you and your pocket book, if you expect Nissan to pay you must follow their rules

At T3 we specialize in replacing engines that owners have oil change abused in both Toyota, Lexus and Infiniti. Thanks for paying for college for our kids, Keep up the good work and please don't change your oil frequently.

Last edited by Q45tech; 10-05-2007 at 11:26 AM.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:31 AM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Actually the Legendary Supra uses the 2JZ motor.

And you still havent' mentioned changing the filters or getting the oil analyzed.

That is just it, the oil is not being stressed much at 3k, under normal driving conditions.
The Toyota that I mentioned earlier with the factory recommended oil change interval or 9K heavy duty and 12K normal duty, happens to be a 1990 Cressida with a 7M-GE 24V DOHC engine, the same one use in the Supra. Very reliable, high performing engine at the time.
Oil change interval recommended for today's cars just seem unreasonably low for the benefit of the industry not the customer. Another good example is these new fancy extended interval oils like Mobil 1 Extended Performance with guarantee protection up to 15k is not really bring anything new to the table. The oil company know darn well that the oils are being changed out way earlier then need be; otherwise they would be stupid to give such a guarantee.

As for the high price of our cars, who the fck have the time to make appointment every couple of month to change the oil and throw money at the dealer.

Take it for what it is. I guess some of you guys are already brainwash into the oil change at 3k mentally. Heck, I guess it not my time and money anyways.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:33 AM
heck, my last car would get oil every 3000kms, of course it was 13 years old and had a lot of idle duty, when i did more highway miles, less idle, the oil came out looking new,

i'm back to 5000kms now, on the g, mostly 'cause it's a pain to change the filter, as small as it is (my god that thing's tiny!)

Old 10-05-2007, 11:38 AM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Actually the Legendary Supra uses the 2JZ motor.

And you still havent' mentioned changing the filters or getting the oil analyzed.
2JZ was 93 and newer. The 86-92 had 4 different motors i think...

-Sean

Old 10-05-2007, 11:54 AM

How do you know. Have you done an oil analysis?. The longer the oil is left in the engine the more it breaks down thus. providing less protection.

So you compare a Toyota to the VQ/ with some unfortunate oil consumption issues as well as a larger price tag justifying recommended oil change intervals. Oil change interval recommended for today's cars just seem unreasonably low for the benefit of the industry not the customer.

That is because most engines today are producing much more HP out of a smaller engine. In addition manufactures are now doing more testing then was done at that time. Oil analysis results made manufactures aware of viscosity break down & a reavaluation of oil change intervals.. If you look at cars back 10-15 years ago many of the cars/trucks would burn at least 1-2 quarts of oil every 2.5-3K miles. Due to better engine design and oil analysis these issues are much less.
Another good example is these new fancy extended interval oils like Mobil 1 Extended Performance with guarantee protection up to 15k is not really bring anything new to the table. The oil company know darn well that the oils are being changed out way earlier then need be; otherwise they would be stupid to give such a guarantee.

Extended moble-1 was made for those drivers who easily average 3K mi. a month justifying this oil. It is unfortunate for the VERY few who buy this oil and change it to soon. However Mobile-1 is a great oil & the reason is better protection for a longer period of time because it does not break down as fast as regular oil. It also tends to migrate to those parts of your engine that are under more stress.

For those who are that busy who can not spend an hour every three months should revaluate there life and time table. Maybe those people should use extended moble-1 so they can free up their time Take it for what it is. I guess some of you guys are already brainwash into the oil change at 3k mentally. :don't know: Heck, I guess it not my time and money anyways.
Brainwashed. I do not think we are brainwashed. You simply have many individuals who love their cars & have researched oil and other issues like crazy. We are all aware of oil consuption,breakkdown,oil analysis, oil viscosity, synthetic oils VS conventions. Even if you feel you are right, why would you chance voiding you warranty over a closer oil change inival. If you have one big issue and can not provide records you may have some issues ahead of you & the money you think you saved wasted. You may want to buy a KIA.....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Oil Change every 3K? What a joke.