Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Oil Change every 3K? What a joke.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 11:55 AM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Those weren't legendary.

Originally Posted by Nismo G
2JZ was 93 and newer. The 86-92 had 4 different motors i think...

-Sean

Old 10-05-2007, 12:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
15k on coventional!!! I think changing oil under 3k intervals is excessive, but changing every 3-5k is ideal for vq engines that are pushed hard and have mods.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:02 PM
brb getting cut
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Those weren't legendary.
Legendary is subjective, my friend.

Peanut butter could be legendary to me.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:06 PM
Red Card Crew

I'm sure your penor is legendary in your own mind

Originally Posted by M.I.A. BlazinVQ
Legendary is subjective, my friend.

Peanut butter could be legendary to me.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:09 PM
brb getting cut
I'm sure your penor is legendary in your own mind
and in your wife's mouth too .........

Old 10-05-2007, 12:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Q45tech
"Good luck getting any warrantee work done the second they find out you're going 15K between oil change"

Good luck if you even exceed 7501 miles or 180 days as per written warranty limit in document.

The purpose of 90 [180]day visits to dealer is to document you are a good and careful consumer and for the dealer techs to find faults that they can charge Nissan Warranty to repair.

What you do after warranty is soley up to you and your pocket book, if you expect Nissan to pay you must follow their rules

At T3 we specialize in replacing engines that owners have oil change abused in both Toyota, Lexus and Infiniti. Thanks for paying for college for our kids, Keep up the good work and please don't change your oil frequently.
You must have forgotten to mention than the abuse to the engine you are seeing are probably done by the neglect of not monitoring the oil level and letting the engine run dry. I known a few lady drivers that has no clue as to the need to change the oil in their cars.

I bet a lot of people are not like me to check my oil and tire pressure every week or so.

No need for fear mongering regarding warranty repairs. That is probably the only reason most owners fear to extend the oil change interval. If it does void the warranty, then it only voids the warranty of oil related problems in the engine only. None of my 9 cars have oil related issue. Sorry for not contributing to any mechanic's or service manager's kids collage. I am sure your customers that bring in their cars for oil changes does.

Jeff, a new oil filter change is a given with every oil change. If you are going get under the car, your most definitely going do a complete job. My fingers and nose does the oil analysis. Feel the viscosity of new oil with finger, feel the viscosity of old oil. Sniff, sniff. Old school I guess.

Last edited by HLMAX; 10-05-2007 at 12:35 PM.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:35 PM
damn I don't even know how to check my oil let alone do the oil change myself. well, I don't even wash my car either. 20 bucks is not that bad in my view for a car that cost me 35K

Old 10-05-2007, 01:30 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by flipa77
damn I don't even know how to check my oil let alone do the oil change myself. well, I don't even wash my car either. 20 bucks is not that bad in my view for a car that cost me 35K
A $20 car wash is doing more harm than good. A good handwash by a professional detailer usually starts at $40, and is usually only done as a service for regular customers. I'd hate to see what your paint looked like

Old 10-05-2007, 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by HLMAX

Jeff, a new oil filter change is a given with every oil change. If you are going get under the car, your most definitely going do a complete job. My fingers and nose does the oil analysis. Feel the viscosity of new oil with finger, feel the viscosity of old oil. Sniff, sniff. Old school I guess.
Wow, we should be listening to someone who is so good he can tell the viscosity and levels of TBN by feel and smell, you can put those oil analysis labs out of business! How do you detect trace metal trace metal levels, taste?

Old 10-05-2007, 01:34 PM
Red Card Crew

1) You can't determine the oil's condition by feeling/sniffing lol

2) There's no way that any filter short of a bypass system is even CLOSE to being able to filter for 10-15k miles.

Even Amsoil, the 1st company to advocate long change intervals recommend regular filter changes. usually at the 5k mark.

You know what happens when your filter is on too long? It goes into bypass mode (because bypassing is better than no oil) and no longer goes though the filter.

Congrats, you probably have been running completely unfiltered oil though your engine for multi-thousands of miles before you change the oil. And because you don't have a real analysis done, you have no idea what's happening to your engine.

Nice.

You must have forgotten to mention than the abuse to the engine you are seeing are probably done by the neglect of not monitoring the oil level and letting the engine run dry. I known a few lady drivers that has no clue as to the need to change the oil in their cars.

I bet a lot of people are not like me to check my oil and tire pressure every week or so.

No need for fear mongering regarding warranty repairs. That is probably the only reason most owners fear to extend the oil change interval. If it does void the warranty, then it only voids the warranty of oil related problems in the engine only. None of my 9 cars have oil related issue. Sorry for not contributing to any mechanic's or service manager's kids collage. I am sure your customers that bring in their cars for oil changes does.

Old 10-05-2007, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by redlude97
A $20 car wash is doing more harm than good. A good handwash by a professional detailer usually starts at $40, and is usually only done as a service for regular customers. I'd hate to see what your paint looked like
the car is new and just cross the 1k milestone. the car wash is hand wash tho and I wax it every other week. It can't be that bad. plus paying $40 bucks every week is too much just for a car.

Old 10-05-2007, 03:33 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Those weren't legendary.

-Sean

Old 10-05-2007, 03:47 PM
1) You can't determine the oil's condition by feeling/sniffing lol

2) There's no way that any filter short of a bypass system is even CLOSE to being able to filter for 10-15k miles.

Even Amsoil, the 1st company to advocate long change intervals recommend regular filter changes. usually at the 5k mark.

You know what happens when your filter is on too long? It goes into bypass mode (because bypassing is better than no oil) and no longer goes though the filter.

Congrats, you probably have been running completely unfiltered oil though your engine for multi-thousands of miles before you change the oil. And because you don't have a real analysis done, you have no idea what's happening to your engine.

Nice.
You sure can feel the difference in viscosity between new oil and old oil side by side by rubbing them between you fingers. If you don't mind getting you fingers dirty, you should give it a try it.

What is the point with Amsoil about changing filter without changing the oil? That totally defeats the purpose. If I am going to change a filter, I mind as well change the oil while I am at it.

Filters get clogged at 5K? That is one dirty engine. I thought the VQs are modern NA, hi-tech, low emissions engines.
Proper oil viscosity and adequate quantity of oil is what keeps the moving parts in the engine from touching each other. What else it there to do? I'll save the analysis for R&D.

Last edited by HLMAX; 10-05-2007 at 03:55 PM.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:59 PM
You sure can feel the difference in viscosity between new oil and old oil side by side by rubbing them between you fingers. If you don't mind getting you fingers dirty, you should give it a try it.

What is the point with Amsoil about changing filter without changing the oil? That totally defeats the purpose. If I am going to change a filter, I mind as well change the oil while I am at it.

Filters get clogged at 5K? That is one dirty engine. I thought the VQs are modern NA, hi-tech, low emissions engines.
Proper oil viscosity and adequate quantity of oil is what keeps the moving parts in the engine from touching each other. What else it there to do? I'll save the analysis for R&D.
So what viscosity is the oil at by rubbing it between your fingers then? How how many cP has it changed? Was the temperature the same? Your method is just laughable. And filters do get clogged at 15k, our filters are TINY, expecting that much filtering capacity even in the most ideal situations is just unrealistic. And again, I still don't see any numbers, just baseless opinions

Old 10-05-2007, 05:23 PM
this is hilarious!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Oil Change every 3K? What a joke.