Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Oil Change every 3K? What a joke.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 12:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Change every 3K? What a joke.

Oil changes must be a cash cow for the dealers.
Why are people changing oils every 3K, just because the manual says so?
What a waste of money. The oil is barely used. There is probably more detrimental dirt being introduce into the engine by the kid that does the oil changes.
Just because the oil looks dark does not mean it is no good.
It is the viscosity and quantity of oil that keep the rubbing metals apart in the engine.
I have been changing oils at intervals of 15K, or once year on all my past 9 cars and have no issues what so ever. I personally change my oil with great care to not to introduce dirt into the engine and use full synthetic oil. I always make sure oil is top up to MAX. Heck one of my 90s Toyota manual have a more realistic oil change schedule of 12K for normal use and 9K for heavy duty use.

Are most people getting caught up on the oil change hype by advertisers?

You are probably doing more harm by the frequent oil changes with dirt introduced, and the few seconds of oil starvation from the re-priming of the oil system after an oil change.

Do yourself and your wallet a favor, extend you oil change intervals.

Old 10-04-2007, 02:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HLMAX
What a waste of money. The oil is barely used. There is probably more detrimental dirt being introduce into the engine by the kid that does the oil changes.
It is the viscosity and quantity of oil that keep the rubbing metals apart in the engine.
I have been changing oils at intervals of 15K, or once year on all my past 9 cars and have no issues what so ever. I personally change my oil with great care to not to introduce dirt into the engine and use full synthetic oil. I always make sure oil is top up to MAX. Heck one of my 90s Toyota manual have a more realistic oil change schedule of 12K for normal use and 9K for heavy duty use.

You are probably doing more harm by the frequent oil changes with dirt introduced, and the few seconds of oil starvation from the re-priming of the oil system after an oil change.

thats fine you cheap as$...see how much oil you have left at 15k miles on this motor...go back to your kia

Last edited by g35rcr; 10-05-2007 at 06:52 AM.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:28 PM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Why take the risk? Especially with the known oil consumption issues that our engines have. And won't the warranty be void, if you only change it once every 15K miles?

Old 10-04-2007, 02:32 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
How is dirt introduced during an oil change?

Old 10-04-2007, 02:42 PM
Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by patman530
Why take the risk? Especially with the known oil consumption issues that our engines have. And won't the warranty be void, if you only change it once every 15K miles?

exactly, VQ are notorious for making oil disappear. I know my oil wouldn't last that long. Good luck getting any warrantee work done the second they find out you're going 15K between oil change. This is the same reason people follow the expiration date on milk carton, i'm sure the milk won't go bad on that exact date, but goodluck drinking spoiled milk.

Old 10-04-2007, 03:01 PM

Don't you guys frequently check your oil? Did I not said to always top up oil to MAX.? Sure starving of oil is definitely the best way to kill an engine.

Do you guys think for a second you are going to get a master mechanic to change the oil in your car? I'll bet the noobs and the guys at the bottom get change the oils. Maybe the janitor if they are in a bind. You will be lucky if they spend the time to use clean funnels and carefully wipe clean all the filling and drain openings of dirt. Heck, you might find the occasional gem of an oil changer that might be caring enough to pre-fill the filter with oil before installing it.

I would not doubt that the oil consumption issues is related to guys not checking on the oil frequently. All it takes is to run low on oil and stave the engine once and you are going to have the oil consumption issue. Do you guys check the oil level after taking your car in for an oil change to make sure they don't under or over fill?

Last edited by HLMAX; 10-04-2007 at 03:10 PM.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:04 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by redlude97
How is dirt introduced during an oil change?
+1 on that...

For OP

Even if you introduce dirt into the system by the fill hole there is something called an oil filter. If you change the oil at extended term. I would really like to see a tear down of your old motor VS a person who changes their oil every 3K...

So, you're telling me that you are okay with blow-by particles in your car for a long period of time instead of a new batch of oil with maybe a little bit of dirt through the fill hole? First, Oil has the characteristics when it is new to absorbs the dirt and then the filter will help remove most of it. So, unless you pour a pound of dirt into your fill hole then it won't matter. Another thing is our cars are high performance cars. They run hotter then a Toyota hence heat is #1 enemy of oil. It causes it to break down and lose its abilties.

People like you who changes oil at their own intervals are the ones that comes to the dealership for a trade in and if you look inside the fill hole the whole top valvetrain is probably black as hell from neglect. But whatever...I'll make sure not to buy a used car from you...

Old 10-04-2007, 03:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I always check my oil level after an oil change and it's topped off. When it's time for an oil change, 3k miles, it is very low. I probably won't have anything left at 5k, let alone 15k miles.

Old 10-04-2007, 03:33 PM
15k?

My VQ drinks oil like it's cherry soda. I have to top it off every 2 grand.

Old 10-04-2007, 03:41 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I just wish the damn dipstick in the VQDE motors was easier to use and read.

Old 10-04-2007, 03:53 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
How valid is the dealership when they tell me to change my oil every 3K even though it's using full synthetic? Shouldn't those last to at least 5K? His excuse is that the VQ engine is a hard-working engine, hence change every 3K even if it's synthetic.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:15 PM
Don't you guys frequently check your oil? Did I not said to always top up oil to MAX.? Sure starving of oil is definitely the best way to kill an engine.

Do you guys think for a second you are going to get a master mechanic to change the oil in your car? I'll bet the noobs and the guys at the bottom get change the oils. Maybe the janitor if they are in a bind. You will be lucky if they spend the time to use clean funnels and carefully wipe clean all the filling and drain openings of dirt. Heck, you might find the occasional gem of an oil changer that might be caring enough to pre-fill the filter with oil before installing it.

I would not doubt that the oil consumption issues is related to guys not checking on the oil frequently. All it takes is to run low on oil and stave the engine once and you are going to have the oil consumption issue. Do you guys check the oil level after taking your car in for an oil change to make sure they don't under or over fill?
You come here advocating extended drain intervals etc, and you don't even change your own oil? I damn for sure know I'm not introducing any excessive amount of dirt into my engine.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by Mike_Deezy
I always check my oil level after an oil change and it's topped off. When it's time for an oil change, 3k miles, it is very low. I probably won't have anything left at 5k, let alone 15k miles.
If you know its low at 3k, why aren't you topping it off inbetween? I'm not telling you to go to 15k intervals, but having the engine low on oil on a regular basis is never good.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:19 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
You sell amsoil too?

Old 10-04-2007, 05:21 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
I change my oil every 3k miles because i run my car into the ground and beat it like a red headed step child. For the 40$ it cost to change the oil i would just rather do that then risk something breaking.

I just posted a huge thread on oils you should read it

https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-forced-induction/178003-vq-oil-analysis-info.html

-Sean

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Oil Change every 3K? What a joke.