Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Whats wrong with my car?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 05:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Whats wrong with my car?!

Hey guys, so for the past couple of days i have been home because of winter break and i park the G in the garage. My dad has plumbing equip in there also and whenever he has to go out and use them, i have to move the car out for him to get the equip out. What ive been noticing is that when i turn the car on and move the car just out of the garage and onto the street, there is this burning smell...kind of like burnt oil or something similar to that. its a 2007 g35c and it has 6311 miles on it...i got the first oil change at 3k and i think we are suppose to have the 2nd at 6k? but when i called the dealer to set an appointment they said 7500. Either way, i have felt the car being sluggish for quite a while, and i have kept a close eye on the oil, and its about 2-3 marks from the bottom, so thats kind of low. But this burning smell is something new, its only come up these past 2/3 days. Does anyone know what the hell is the problem?

Sorry for the long post, i write a lot >.<

Cliff notes....
- every time i start the car i smell something burning like oil or something similar to it.
- i want to know what it is or whats causing it

Thanks

Old 01-10-2008, 05:31 PM
brb getting cut
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you positive its coming from the car? It could be coming from somewhere else.

Old 01-10-2008, 05:33 PM
yes, i am pretty positive, last night this happened, and i thought it was the cars passing by the street, but i made sure to crank the windows down this time and made sure there were no cars going to pass by, i am 98% positive its coming from the G.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:18 PM
Don't know where that burning smell is coming from but cross your fingers and hope you don't have an oil consumption problem (if you really are low)

Oh yeah and I have a question for you. If it's an 07 why haven't you taken it to the dealer yet? I think trained professionals (some may cough at that) that inspect your car in person will have a better idea than a bunch of forum members online that can't chck your car out

Old 01-10-2008, 07:20 PM
Is your car a stick, because the burning may be from the clutch.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:27 PM
check under the hood and see if: one, the oil cap is tight, and two, look to see if there is oil on your engine or headers or where ever. if oil was spilled on the engine it will burn off even the dealerships spill, and yes deff keep an eye on the level. the sluggishness you feel is more than likely in your head any concern for your car will change the way you drive I.E listening for noises and feeling for differences in it. sorry i write alot too

Old 01-11-2008, 01:42 AM
Originally Posted by EuG35
Don't know where that burning smell is coming from but cross your fingers and hope you don't have an oil consumption problem (if you really are low)

Oh yeah and I have a question for you. If it's an 07 why haven't you taken it to the dealer yet? I think trained professionals (some may cough at that) that inspect your car in person will have a better idea than a bunch of forum members online that can't chck your car out
I have taken it to the dealer once for the 3k change, and i schedule an oil change/checkup (for the low oil) for the 15th. Also, i scheduled this prior to this new problem that i found out just 2 days ago.

However, i am in sf, and need to go back to sj this weekend, and im really concerned about this oil thing, so i might just change it myself before the scheduled appointment with the dealer.

the receptionist told me that the 2nd oil change is at 7500...i have a navi and the maintenance page says that the next change is at 6k. I think the receptionist is just stupid, or is it really me? lol

Old 01-11-2008, 08:24 PM
I would change it at 6k

Old 01-11-2008, 08:25 PM
Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts
your still under warranty worst comes to worst go to the dealership

Old 01-11-2008, 08:36 PM
Could be that since you are starting and only running the car for a short time and not really warming it up that it has accumulated some gas build up and running a bit rich. This could cause an acidic smell. That would be my bet.