Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Power Steering Fluid

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 10:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power Steering Fluid

I have 04 6MT coupe, and the PSF level is low. I am wondering if I can just add more PSF, or I need to take it to the dealer for PSF flush. I don't wanna void the warranty. Thanks.

Old 02-20-2008, 04:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How many miles are on the car? Has the Power Steering ever been flushed? Regardless, I would initally just add some fluid and watch the level for a while. Use Mobil 1 Synthetic Dexron III/Mercon Automatic transmission fluid. At every oil change I remove the fluid from the power steering reservoir with a fluid pump ($5 at any auto parts store) and replace it with fresh Mobil I. The system only hold about 1 1/2 quarts. Do this a few times and you have essentially replaced all the fluid. How much is a dealer flush anyways?

You can do your own power steering flush very easily. (Engine is off)
1) Identify the low pressure return line (I just got my G35 and have not done this yet)
2) Drain reservoir as described above
3) pull low pressure hose
4) plug hose connection in reservoir, use aluminum foil and a hose clamp
5) attach fluid pump extractor side to low pressure hose and have out bound flow go into a bucket. You may need some adaptor hoses, get the clear ones at Home Depot or Lowes.
6) Add fluid to reservoir and start pumping. Flush a few quarts through, watch fluid change color, the then close it up and top off the reservoir.
7) You may have some air in the system afterwards, it will make noises if so, just turn the steering wheel back and forth a few times to bleed it then re-check the fluid level.
8) Open bottle of beer, drink to your accomplishment!

Old 02-28-2008, 09:16 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
When i turn my car on at cold starts i hear a strange sound coming from the power steering pump pulley. It sounds like a winding noise and if i accelerate it speeds up as the revs go higher. Its not high pitched, its more like a whom, whom, whom sound. Its hard to explain the exact pitch but could this be air in the system? The power steering cooler in the car also has a lot of bent fins, would this affect it???

Old 02-28-2008, 10:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually, my car has the same problem. When the car starts at cold, it gives like a winding noise, but I don't where it comes from. First I thought I had my sunroof open, but it's not. As the car warms up, the noise goes away. I am taking my car to Infiniti dealer to check for power steering oil leakage.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:49 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh man, i am glad i am not the only one =). Even though i would rather not relate, i hope it gets resolved for you. Let me know what the dealer said it was, i can get my fix from there as well. Thanks!!!!

Old 04-01-2008, 05:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by clutchless
How many miles are on the car? Has the Power Steering ever been flushed? Regardless, I would initally just add some fluid and watch the level for a while. Use Mobil 1 Synthetic Dexron III/Mercon Automatic transmission fluid. At every oil change I remove the fluid from the power steering reservoir with a fluid pump ($5 at any auto parts store) and replace it with fresh Mobil I. The system only hold about 1 1/2 quarts. Do this a few times and you have essentially replaced all the fluid. How much is a dealer flush anyways?

You can do your own power steering flush very easily. (Engine is off)
1) Identify the low pressure return line (I just got my G35 and have not done this yet)
2) Drain reservoir as described above
3) pull low pressure hose
4) plug hose connection in reservoir, use aluminum foil and a hose clamp
5) attach fluid pump extractor side to low pressure hose and have out bound flow go into a bucket. You may need some adaptor hoses, get the clear ones at Home Depot or Lowes.
6) Add fluid to reservoir and start pumping. Flush a few quarts through, watch fluid change color, the then close it up and top off the reservoir.
7) You may have some air in the system afterwards, it will make noises if so, just turn the steering wheel back and forth a few times to bleed it then re-check the fluid level.
8) Open bottle of beer, drink to your accomplishment!
Anyone else tried this method? I've never flushed a PS system myself and am wanting to do that soon using some Redline PSF. I'm assuming this method is safe for the oil pump? For the oil pump safety, I mean that is doesn't matter that you are forcing fluid through it without the engine actually powering it? Doesn't seem too tough if this is all you need to do.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:58 PM
I will update the information to advise the low pressure return hose is the hose leading from the reservoir that goes toward the front of the car. This is the hose you use to do the flush. The other hose that goes to the pump is the high pressure suction hose, leave it alone. See pages PS-29 to 34 on the CD ROM service manual. I do not think this can cause any harm to the pump, it is a simple bearing pump run by a pulley that is not operating, the pressure from your flush is low and will not even make the pump operate, the fluid will just flow past it. For it to move the belt has to turn and the engine be on. I did this for years on my old 1994 Mazda MX-6 which has over 100,000 miles and has the original rack, pump and lines. I know it is fine because a friend bought it. I plan to install a Magnefine inline filter on the return line after it warms up a little.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:08 PM
The last time I went to the dealer he said my PSF smelled burnt and needed a flush. I'm almost at 60k Miles, and don't remember if any of the services I did included a PSF flush. He quoted me about $100 to do the flush. I haven't done it yet with the dealer, and if people are able to do it themsevles, I may just go this route if its easy.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:09 PM
You are way overdue. $100 is about the going rate, not bad for a dealer. It really helps extend the life of the pump and rack.

Old 04-22-2008, 05:20 AM
Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts
And now there's a video on how to do a flush

here:
http://www.infinitihelp.com/diy/gsed...stallation.htm

Old 04-22-2008, 10:36 AM
Thanks. Awesome video. I learned much from your other videos on You Tube since I recently got a 2005 G35. I was going to do the Magnefine installation in a couple weeks (I have used them for years and have them on my Explorer on the transmission and steering, but there is a lot more room to work there). Good idea to save the factory hose intact. I was just going to cut it, maybe remove a piece for fit and stick the filter in there. That has been my practice on at least 4 other vehicles.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:32 PM
Thanks. Awesome video. I learned much from your other videos on You Tube since I recently got a 2005 G35. I was going to do the Magnefine installation in a couple weeks (I have used them for years and have them on my Explorer on the transmission and steering, but there is a lot more room to work there). Good idea to save the factory hose intact. I was just going to cut it, maybe remove a piece for fit and stick the filter in there. That has been my practice on at least 4 other vehicles.
fyi, factory return hose near the reservoir is ~$20 and I'm also wishing I would've bought slightly higher quality hose for my install. I think the SAE J189 is the minimum quality for power steering. Go on goodyear's website and look for a hose in the 200s

Old 10-08-2008, 10:57 AM
You cannot install a Magnefine in the factory hose as it is a little too tight. You need to get some 3/8 hose as recommended above. Also ran into this issue on my transmission filter after I had cut the factory line, causing a rush trip to the local Advance Auto where I got some 3/8 fuel line. No time to be picky. Will look for higher quality hose to swap out later.

Old 10-08-2008, 12:06 PM
You cannot install a Magnefine in the factory hose as it is a little too tight. You need to get some 3/8 hose as recommended above. Also ran into this issue on my transmission filter after I had cut the factory line, causing a rush trip to the local Advance Auto where I got some 3/8 fuel line. No time to be picky. Will look for higher quality hose to swap out later.
Good info... are you sure it couldn't be finessed? I know the factory hose is quite stubborn, but it should be a standard 3/8" size.

Old 10-08-2008, 01:09 PM
Maybe it could be finessed. I actually have only done the ATF cooler hose Magnefine install and presume the steering hose is the same size as they appear the same size as do the clamps. I could not insert the Magnefine in the ATF hose. It must be some metric size. It is like those stupid 11/32 hoses all the aftermarket ATF cooler companies provide. They never fit factory fittings. Why don't they just proivide 3/8?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Fluid