Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Compiled GroundingGear™ Dyno Data

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 11:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Compiled GroundingGear™ Dyno Data

I've been trying to keep up with this as of late and decided I'd add my .02 for what it's worth. I have installed a 7 wire grounding system on my car, not the system in question here, but one from ASG Sport Tuning. The kit has the same principal behind it with the major differences being a "distribution point" of sorts at the point on the plenum closest to the front of the car, cleverly called point 3 in ref. to the 3 stamped on the bracket it replaces (see attached pic), a bracket connecting the 2 points on the front of the engine and gold connectors. I know there's a whole can of worms behind which is better: copper, gold, or silver so I'm not even going to go there (my pref. is gold). OK, sorry for the description but wanted to give my point of reference as I do have a slightly different setup.
Without dyno numbers (haven't been able to track down an AWD dyno for my G35X), and losts of doubt myself; Once I installed the kit on my car, I did notice everything everyone else has, smoother idle, smoother shifting (auto), and better acceleration (may be more due to wanting to hear the z-tube) and as a surprise, my gas mileage has gone up which was definitely unexpected.
Well, that's pretty much point of view on grounding systems. I am now a non-beliver turned into a believer.

Diamond Graphite/Graphite/Prem. pkg./Navi.
ASG 7-wire grounding system
Tint
Z-tube
K&N drop-in
Coming:
Volk GT-C
Eibach Springs

224147-g35point3groundingblockresized.jpg

Old 04-08-2004, 06:35 AM

Do a PM to Gordgee. He's the one who sells them.

Old 04-08-2004, 10:24 AM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. How much do you think your mileage has gone up?

I'm not a big fan of the distribution blocks that are used on some kits. Though they make things look a bit neater, I think the H-G wires do better directly connected to each other in a 'cluster'. Though it may be minimal, in theory at least, the signal conduction should be 'cleaner'. I like the looks of yours and at least the manufacturer doesn't use a hunk of anodized aluminum as I've seen in some other kits.

<font color=blue>[i]GroundingGear™ Equipped </font color=blue>

Old 04-08-2004, 11:17 AM

You do any mean curve analysis on that? how do you really know its not all the other variables such as gas octane variance and tire wear variables. What about wind direction that day vs the comparable road trip...LOL.

I get up to 430 miles on a tank now anyone else get that on a road trip.

2003.5 DP Sedan (Everything but Nav)
Injen CAI
7 Wire HyperGround (Soon to be 10)
Crawford Plenum (V4)
H-Liner
Polk Tweeter Upgrade (EX-3500)
Coming Soon: Lite Crank Pulley, Motion Sensor

Old 04-08-2004, 11:30 AM

I got about 360 miles from 16 gallons of gas on my recent road trip. I have another road trip coming up and I'm not sure if I'll have grounding kit installed by then but I would love to see a 3 or 4 mpg increase. I got a 2000 mile road trip coming up at the end of May it will be interesting to see how my gas mileage does then.

Old 04-08-2004, 01:04 PM

those goobs in los alomos ever find the missing uranium?

Injen CAI
Crawford Plenum (V4)
H-Liner

Old 04-08-2004, 03:31 PM

Wait a minute was your weight the same between trips? How about your karma was good or bad on both trips? LOL

This might invalidate your findings.

Try better next time. LOL

Old 04-08-2004, 03:58 PM
two things

1) dyno testing or not, the only evidence i need for the effectivness of grounding kits is that WRC cars use them. they wouldn't put a gram of weight on the car that didn't increase performance.

2) and it's called the "hawthorn effect". it's from an experiment at a western electric plant, not westinghouse. sorry, i am dork, i know.

it's called the "hawthorn effect", it was from an experiment on worker productivity in a western electric (hence the westinghouse confusion) plant.

Old 04-08-2004, 03:58 PM

Yer better of being stealthy! say stuff that you normally wouldn't now come on.

Oh and if you #2 before one trip and not the other that would invalidate the results as well. And any gasses you let loose would certainly created unwanted and offsetting intertial disturbances (downward propulsion could increase velocity as the car would be lighter for just a split second)...of course invalidating any possible butt dyno gains.

whoaaa nelly got a little silly there

Injen CAI
Crawford Plenum (V4)
H-Liner

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by SixFive on 04/08/04 01:02 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 04-08-2004, 05:18 PM

I think we forgot that on long trips your car gains about 2 pounds worth of dead bugs on the front windshield, hood and the grill. I guess we could never have valid test results. bummer.

Thanks for all the funny posts!!!! I've gotten some good laughs out of it!

James

Old 04-08-2004, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Guys, give him a break! Besides, gas mileage results aren't valid without steady state runs, compensating for atmospheric conditions, and having your mother-in-law drive the car each way, with a mix of before and after mod runs, 30 runs modded, and 30 stock, and allowing your mother-in-law a rest break only once each way!

Old 04-08-2004, 07:17 PM

We should have a matrix of every possible permuation of mods combined with and without the wires for all 1-8 or 10 wires separately..30 times and same exact conitions..dont lose any weight now ya hear. Really now then you can do regression analysis - mean curves aint jack.

Injen CAI
Crawford Plenum (V4)
H-Liner

Old 04-09-2004, 10:19 AM

OK - I had to sign up to the board just to set some things straight.

I own ASG Sport Tuning. We have been making custom grounding kits for many different cars over the past 5 years. Each kit is studied for the best flow of current. I am not looking to get into any specifics of one kit vs another. That is not the reason for this post. Over the past 5 years I have been able to track power increases, as shown in the dyno sheets in this thread, as well as gas savings of up to 4 MPG on certain cars. My kit for the G35 has not been out for a period of time long enough for me to make any claims of gas mileage or HP increases. However, I do believe that I will find similar results to my other kits.

Additionally, a recent kit that has been in production for 2 years has shown a 2.5 MPG savings on average of several cars through many different driving styles. Take it for what it is worth. There are alway's people that will not believe; as I hear it everyday. My kits are all hand-crafted and built for each car after testing that I have developed over the years. The kits are made to give the owner something to show for there money in more than just performance.

Gordgee, I like the fact that you have taken the time to test the product you make. Anyone can slap some wires and take what others have proven and say that yours has done the same. Thanks for the compliment on my bracket. I take the time to make brackets only when needed, and in the case of the G35, I found it necessary.

-ASG-

Old 04-09-2004, 10:35 AM

Excellent analysis Gordon.

For clarification the dynos were done on:

A 2003 AT Sedan?

With your GroundGear 10 wire system?

DaveO - 2003 G35 Sedan / DP / Willow / AT / Premium / Sport
350Z Engine Cover, T-Stat & Air Duct / Stillen CAI
GG 7-Wire H-G Kit / TS ECU / E-Fans
Street Edge TC / B&M Cooler / Stillen Exhaust

Old 04-10-2004, 12:51 AM
Administrator

ASG:

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, great workmanship on that grounding block. I can tell by looking at it. It's good when others care about craftmanship as well. PM me and I'll link your site as a resource.

DaveO:

Yes, this was done on my 2003 AT, full 10 wire system. Others have dyno'd with just the basic systems and have shown dyno increases as well, so in terms of hp and tq increases, we can't be certain which wires contribute to power gains, and which to response, feel, etc. It's hard to separate the effects, which is the reason that I do beta testing on each wire to ensure that they're actually adding something to the basic system.