Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!! ASAP crawford v4 plenum... W/PICS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 04:23 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!! ASAP crawford v4 plenum... W/PICS

I used this DIY to install my crawford v4 plenum

http://www.crawfordzcar.com/support/...stallation.pdf

Everything went fine and now i'm stuck... There are 2 empty holes in my new crawford plenum and the 80mm bolt is too long to sit in the top one... The bottom 70mm sits perfect.

Problem is that I have work in 3 hours and the 70 mm and 80mm bolts took a day to receive because I can't find them in town that are grade 8.

Are those two empty holes fine? How am I supposed to fix the 80mm bolt problem that is too long?

The smaller 4 bolts have taken the spot where the 2 empty holes go so I cant screw anything in there...

Help me please!

Attached Thumbnails HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!! ASAP crawford v4 plenum... W/PICS-image028.jpg   HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!! ASAP crawford v4 plenum... W/PICS-image031.jpg   HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!! ASAP crawford v4 plenum... W/PICS-image032.jpg  
Old 05-01-2008, 04:31 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Well for one, those instructions seem to be for the V5 cast. Where did you get these bolts from? OEM or in the kit? IMHO you can use whatever 70mm bolt you can find. If you note the torque specs, they are very low. Not much that these particular bolts are doing except filling a hole. Short term, you could stack a bunch of washers to take up the space until you get the right one

Old 05-01-2008, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Well for one, those instructions seem to be for the V5 cast. Where did you get these bolts from? OEM or in the kit? IMHO you can use whatever 70mm bolt you can find. If you note the torque specs, they are very low. Not much that these particular bolts are doing except filling a hole. Short term, you could stack a bunch of washers to take up the space until you get the right one
Bolt didn't come with the kit.. I had to buy everything seperate myself which I did... I managed to take out the 80mm bolt and used the old black bolt that was on the old plenum.. It fits nice and snug.. Now my problem is those 2 damn holes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What can I do about those? Hole plugs?

Old 05-01-2008, 04:39 PM
Red Card Crew

Well, I would have put new long bolts in and not plug up all of the lower plenum holes. But you need to plug up those holes or you will have vacuum leak. At least in the short term. Not sure if you can use a short bolt and some silicone to plug up the holes so you can get to work. The better long term solution would be to get more long bolts and take out 2 of the lower plenum bolts.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:41 PM
Well, I would have put new long bolts in and not plug up all of the lower plenum holes. But you need to plug up those holes or you will have vacuum leak. At least in the short term. Not sure if you can use a short bolt and some silicone to plug up the holes so you can get to work. The better long term solution would be to get more long bolts and take out 2 of the lower plenum bolts.

Thanks, that seems to be the best thing to do right now... Let me see what I can pull out of my a$$ in these next 2 hours.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:49 PM
Red Card Crew

Actually any plug will do but you don't want anything too soft to be sucked into the engine.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:58 PM
Actually any plug will do but you don't want anything too soft to be sucked into the engine.

Got it figured out.. I really really appreciate your help..

The 80mm bolt I bought was usless so I threw it in a junk tool box... I took the plenum off and took out the top 2 bolts so I can use the long stock bolts to cover the holes.. Put the plenum back on, bolted on the 70 mm, bolted the 2 empty holes with the old stock bolts and put everything back together.. Had a loud whistle at the start up which sounded like a supercharger lol.. I forgot to put that rubber nipple back on. Put it on and started up. Sounds a bit deeper.. Engine is louder for sure.. sort of sounds like a semi truck a little.

I got animal style horsepower gains up at the red line.. Everything else feels the same.. Car also picks up alot better when I'm cruising in 5th and touch the gas.. Before the car wouldn't move.

I AM having rpm drops.. Only when stopped at a red light though.. I'll sit at the light for about 10 seconds then feel tiny shake and the rpms drop just a small tad (not even 100 rpm).. When the A/C is on I have no rpm drop.

Idle is smooth.

Thanks again for the help.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
quick question I bought a used crawford plenum however it did not come with the 2 brass-colored 10mm lock-washer bolts which come included when you buy it brand new, before I start taking it apart I was wondering if anyone knew the thread pattern of the bolts so i can buy it in advance at a local hardware store.

Also if i unplug my battery while installing it, will this reset the ecu/throttle settings?

Old 06-22-2008, 03:57 AM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
not the throttle... why? Did you move the throttle plate?... Are you having idle problems?...

Old 06-22-2008, 04:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^no problems havent installed it yet...just wondering if should disconnect the battery to reset ecu...not sure some say u dont need to reset same say yes!

Old 06-22-2008, 05:35 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by gcoupe_toronto
^no problems havent installed it yet...just wondering if should disconnect the battery to reset ecu...not sure some say u dont need to reset same say yes!
I like to disconnect, but it isnt a must...