Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

after market pulley: voids warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 10:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: after market pulley: voids warranty

CPA, CFA III REIT employee

You process sounds beyond me and interesting somehow

I'm confident in what's not been proven in todays arguments and in hundereds of thousands of miles of owners of properly installed UR pulleys and in the unrealistic assertion that there were 2 cars in the shop becasue of this problems when there were tons of mods besides the one at issue. While there was theorizing going on I have called several dealerships inculding a particular one in CA and am confident there have been no pulley incedents to speak of based on what I've heard. Theory can't overcome facts. Facts are still not there if this story can't be reconciled.

2003.5 DP 5AT Sedan (E-thing but Nav)
14.2 @ 97.18
Injen CAI
10 Wire Hyper-Ground
Crawford Plenum (V4)
UR Crank Pulley
Polk ex-3500 Tweeter Upgrade/Shock Sensor/H-Liner Under Hood

Old 05-04-2004, 11:50 PM

Since I have had a few conversations with Shawn B. of UR on the subject, I thought I would contact him and see what he had to say about his product being responsible for damaging some VQ engines....

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Ted,

We have been making parts for the VG and now the VQ engines for almost 5 years. We work with the top Nissan aftermarket retailers like Stillen and others. We have also had a close relationship with some of the most respected tuners and engineers in the aftermarket, people like Mike Kojima and the owners of Performance Motorsports (Smithtown Nissan).

Needless to say we have thousands upon thousands of VG and VQ crank pulleys out there and have never had one call about a problem and that includes extremely high HP 300ZX TT’s. This does not include the extensive application coverage we have with other models.

Our customers have accumulated 10’s of millions of miles using our products from as little as a 70 HP Civic CX to 1000+ HP MKIV Supra TT’s. Needless to say we have more than proved that our products do not cause any problems or we would have been out of business within months of opening our operations to retail customers in May of 1997.

I would be more interested to know if it was actually our pulleys, because all our pulleys are perfectly balanced, so if there was additional vibration that means there was in imbalance meaning it was probably not ours.

It is possible a driveway mechanic botched up an install because even though pulleys are simple the installation must be done properly. We get calls from end users all the time saying their engines actually feel smoother after the installation of our crank pulleys and that include that already super smooth VQ35.

Beyond that I would be interested to know the other mods that had been done to these vehicles, although things may have been removed to hide the fact of modification. Beyond that I would also like to know what type of oil was used? Were the oil change intervals followed? Was the oil level checked periodically to make sure that the level never got too low? Detonation can be the biggest contributor to bearing failures because of the destructive force exerted on all the bearings from these miss-fires. Maybe nitrous contributed to the detonation? There are million possibilities that could have contributed to these failures. <font color=red>Needless to say we stand behind our products and guarantee that owners will not have any problems when using our pulleys or any of our products. </font color=red>

<hr></blockquote>

Please post specifics...and it is interesting that the folks whose engines blew up did not contact UR. I sure as heck would! Perhaps it was not a UR pulley at fault? InfTech, can you confirm?

Let's get good info and resolution to this!

Cheers, ted

'03.5 Sedan 5a: BS/G, Prem, Aero/Body, Sport, Nav
Click for MODS or Vote at Online Showoff

Old 05-05-2004, 04:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ASP racing has finished making their pulley set i believe. im getting my set soon. it may be harmonically balanced. not sure yet. they didnt give me any specs. they're gonna have dynos and everything.

G35s6mt/TSecu/350Z Springs&Struts/JWTpopcharger+Z-tube/StillenDualExhaust /6WireGroundKit/KinetixHighFlow

Old 05-05-2004, 08:30 AM

OK, so the pulley goes on this Friday then!

300bhp??? We'll see... 5-22-2004

Old 05-05-2004, 08:42 AM

Ted,
Great post. I'd have to agree. If my engine blew and it was due to any mod that I had installed (other than a SC or TT, obviously these void almost all waranty for engine related failures) then I'd want to find out why this happen directly from the horses mouth.
While I believe that this product is sound, I still believe there is room for error. IT said that both of these engines had over 30K miles, right? I wonder if all the required service had been done on them? These engines are unbelievable but you still have to treat them right. If the install was botched then it's not URs fault.

Old 05-05-2004, 09:00 AM

If UR has a 100% engine replacement guarantee I'll be first in line.

2004.5 Coupe/5AT/Ivory/Everything but chin spoiler/Z Tube-Popcharger/Crawford V5 Plenum on the way

Old 05-05-2004, 09:07 AM

-fish, you just beat me to it.

Ted - I'd like to have a contact e-mail address or phone number for Shawn B. (of UR). If they do back their product that way they claim then I have no problem going ahead with the install. I would like to see <font color=red> EXACTLY </font color=red> what they mean by the claim in red at the end of your post. I'd also like to ask him a few technical questions about the pulley design as well.

I will post the results of my conversation if you'll ablige...

TIA,
Neffster

300bhp??? We'll see... 5-22-2004

Old 05-05-2004, 09:33 AM

Ask him what the contingencies are. For instance, is a "Certified Tech" required to install it for the guarantee to be good. Is this a "guarantee" or a "warranty". What exactly do the warranty/guarantee? Bearings? Repair labor? Parts? Etc. Keep in mind that a smaller diameter rotating mass will EXACERBATE, not diminsh, linear vibration (or is longitudinal the right word?). Thus, if the original spec has a tolerance to .0000X of error in balance (nothing is perfectly balanced) and this pulley is built to that spec, the fact that it is smaller and lighter will nullify that specs tolerance. In other words, Nissan built in a cushion for error in everything they built, and in this instance a smaller diameter and lighter rotating mass will require an even GREATER balance than the larger.

I would love to have this mod, but unless UR can warranty anything related for 60K miles, I'm going to have to pass.

By the way, Doug says my plenum will be hear in 8 days! I can't wait. He says he has a back log right now of 30 plenums. I told him he needs to raise his prices and he commented that the cats would be raised soon due to China hoarding aluminum, lol. Also, Doug wasn't keen on the pulley idea. He's cited a few engine problems that he suspected were pulley related (he didn't specify whether they were UR or not.

If you want to be real **** about this Neff, ask UR for their tolerance specs and Quality Control methods.

2004.5 Coupe/5AT/Ivory/Everything but chin spoiler/Z Tube-Popcharger/Crawford V5 Plenum on the way

Old 05-05-2004, 09:57 AM

Guys... Shawn is the President of UR. In his email response to me, he asked that I pull all questions and comments together and send them to him and another exec he has put me in contact with.

I don't want to be in the gatekeeper position, but I also want to keep the goodwill open between me and him. As you can understand, this has flowed over to the my350z forum, and if I release all the contact info, he will be inundated with the same questions over and over again.

I promise to be honest and post all his replies as I receive them (minus any personal info ... like my home # or his direct line etc..) I hope this will suffice for everyone. BTW, I do not have the pullies on myself, they are a part of my plan and I am close to having them installed. It is not a question of if, but when for me. I will probably install them when I get my SAMCOs and tranny cooler. I am not receiving any discounts from Shawn, nor am I connected in any way with his company. I am not being sponsored by them either!

'03.5 Sedan 5a: BS/G, Prem, Aero/Body, Sport, Nav
Click for MODS or Vote at Online Showoff

Old 05-05-2004, 10:12 AM

Excellent help, tremendous posts Ted, valuable and helpful you are. Real world answers will come out of this and make us all feel better about these extremely important decisions we must make for our motors. Everyone will never come to the same conclusions but misinformation can be removed from the decision making - hopefully.

2003.5 DP 5AT Sedan (E-thing but Nav)
14.2 @ 97.18
Injen CAI
10 Wire Hyper-Ground
Crawford Plenum (V4)
UR Crank Pulley
Polk ex-3500 Tweeter Upgrade/Shock Sensor/H-Liner Under Hood

Old 05-05-2004, 10:33 AM

Thanks Ted. I would like to know specifically, in legal mumbo jumbo writing, what their warranty is and what it covers, and what the process for recourse is should I disagree as to whether or the broken part is related to the pulley.

I would also like to know what their error tolerance specifications are, how they are measured, and how this compares to the Nissan specs. If they don't know what the Nissan specs are, then that tells me something.

Thanks alot Ted. Great favor/service you're providing to us.

Old 05-05-2004, 11:23 AM

So now I suppose a light weight flywheel will be horrible for your motor to...

Shucks,, I have a flywheel and clutch bolted to my crank that wheighs 16lbs total... I guess I should get my rev-limiter moved back down from 7700 rpm...

Our race team has done testing on the pulley sets... The accessory pulleys (alternator / power steering) weight a few ounces less then stock... and the Crank I dont remember the exact number but it was somewhere along the lines of 8lbs lighter.

Benifits = Power Steering fluid runs cooler so this is great for those who track. Since the power steering fluid pump is not working as fast, the PS Fluid stays in the powersteering cooler longer there for can cool more. 6-8RWHP from our independant dyno's on a fully modified car.

Cons = getting into the car the first couple of times the steering feels harder, but that goes away after a few times driving the car, you get used to it... those running a powerfull stereo, if you run your amp's with the car off off the battery it wont last as long... but if your running something that powerfull its best to run a cap and another battery any way...

If a crank is internally ballanced why would anything on the out side of it effect it internally? then it wouldnt be internally ballaned...

The crank is actually ballaned without a crank pulley on it at all... Knowing that, wouldnt a heavier crank pulley be worse if the crank ballance was effected how you stated?

Of course if nissan or infiniti see an aftermarket part on a car they are going to use that to keep from buying someone a new engine.

From all of the cars that we have installed pulley's on we have never once had a problem. Well except when we get a car towed in and the person trying to install the pulley them self couldnt get it finished properly gave up and towed it in.

Jeff's car running a pulley set w/ 8lb TIlton Flywheel and Clutch (total weight 16lbs in flywheel and clutch) and a 7700 rev limiter which he pegs when ever he drive's..

My Car running the tilton flywheel and clutch set up as well...

Our race cars running pulley sets and a 14lb tilton flywheel and carboncarbon clutch set up (3 disk carbon carbon)...

etc etc etc etc

Neffster = If you still wish to send back the pulley you are more then welcome to. The only thing we do not refund is shipping.

Jason
AIM: PerformanceNISMO
Yahoo: MyNISMOParts
http://www.performancenissanparts.com

Old 05-05-2004, 12:27 PM

"The crank is actually ballaned without a crank pulley on it at all... Knowing that, wouldnt a heavier crank pulley be worse if the crank ballance was effected how you stated?"

Worse for some vibrations, better or inocuous for others. There are lateral and longitudinal vibrations and a smaller circumference would make one more pronounced than the other. Check out Neffs link to the my350z discussion, there's a great physics reference if you'd like the details.

Jason, what equipment did your race team use to test, and what were the results. Do you mean you made "anecdotal/emperical tests"? Do you know the Nissan tolerance specs and how this pulley compares? I don't mean to be beligerent but this is a precision, critical component of the engine so my risk/reward tolerance just goes bonkers when considering tinkering with such things. An z tube is one thing, but a crankshaft?

If I worked at a shop and was constantly modifying, replacing, etc. and had wholesale parts and a team of racing mechanics at my beckon call I might have a different tolerance for risk/reward, but understand how some of us may be a bit more apprehensive about this.

Old 05-05-2004, 12:31 PM

On Friday we are going up to Willow Springs where our race team is located and I will get all of the info they came up with etc etc etc...

http://www.performancenissanracing.com

When it comes down to it, it is up to the dealer...

Jason
AIM: PerformanceNISMO
Yahoo: MyNISMOParts
http://www.performancenissanparts.com

Old 05-05-2004, 01:46 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Ted, Thanks for going the extra for us (again). This stuff has all been covered many times at great length in the past, but a recap for everyone would be great.
I look forward to your posts.
Colin

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red>
<font color=red>GSM</font color=red>
<font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: after market pulley: voids warranty