Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

MAFs, Throttle Body & Ignition coils same as other VQ35 cars?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 11:29 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MAFs, Throttle Body & Ignition coils same as other VQ35 cars?

Does anyone know if the MAFs, Throttle Body & Ignition coils from the 350z/G35 same as other "cheaper" VQ35 cars like the 02-03 Maxima, 02+ 3.5L Altima, '02+ Pathfinder, Quest, etc? I think the throttle body from the Pathfinder may be different, but that is the only one I am aware of.

I recently cleaned my throttle body, and despite numerous attempts to re-set the ECU (disconnected battery for 12+ hours each time), the SES/CEL/MIL come on indicating P0507 (high idle), and the idle is way off. I fear that I need a new TB or maybe MAFs, and would rather buy a used one.

Old 06-15-2008, 12:08 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
What did you clean the throttle body with? In my opinion you shouldn't even clean the thing unless you have a reason to. The only thing that would need cleaning is the MAF. If you opened or closed the butterfly while you cleaned it you will need a new throttle body exspecially if it is throwing that code. How much were you quoted for a new throttle body?

-Sean

Old 06-15-2008, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by Nismo G
What did you clean the throttle body with? In my opinion you shouldn't even clean the thing unless you have a reason to. The only thing that would need cleaning is the MAF. If you opened or closed the butterfly while you cleaned it you will need a new throttle body exspecially if it is throwing that code. How much were you quoted for a new throttle body?

-Sean
I used some generic "Throttle Body Cleaner" that I have used on previous cars like a '97 Civic, '98 Maxima and '00 Maxima...all of course were drive by cable, not drive by wire.

No idea on the cost of the throttle body yet...haven't gotten a quote on it.

Many folks on the G and Z forums from reading have had a messed up idle after cleaning their TB, but were able to solve the issue via ECU reset, throttle, acceleration and idle re-learn procedures. None of these procedures are taking any effect on my car...

Old 06-15-2008, 03:01 PM
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
The cost of the throttle body is $149 with gasket.I got mine at my local infiniti dealer and they are now remanufactured units.Awhile back you could only get new units which was over $600.

Old 06-15-2008, 03:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you take it to the dealer yet? They can recalibrate the idle. This happened to me too. If that doesn't work that's when i would consider getting a new TB.

Old 06-15-2008, 03:26 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by superchargedg
The cost of the throttle body is $149 with gasket.I got mine at my local infiniti dealer and they are now remanufactured units.Awhile back you could only get new units which was over $600.
I got my brand new a while back for between 80-120 i forget what i paid. Anyways, if your service engine soon light is on you need a new throttle body.

-Sean

Old 06-15-2008, 03:56 PM
You guys are getting great deals. If I need one, I will need to find one from a US dealership. In Canada, dealerships rape and pillage owners on parts pricing.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:49 PM
My idle, along with the SES light has given me problems too. Oddly right after I put the turbos back in. Of course, I cleaned the TB as I didn't know it wasn't recommended.
I've been priming the fuel pump 3 times before every start & that seems to cure the SES. I also had my idle raised to 850rpm, that fixed the stalling.
Maybe I'll try the reset thing now. I always thought it was bogus though.
I had a spare TB, 6 coils, & a MAF sensor from a friends 350Z all in my trunk just for this reason(IF something happened). After taking the car in to one of the most reputable shops, everything has seemed to have disappeared.
hmmmmm

Old 06-16-2008, 07:20 PM
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by weslutes
My idle, along with the SES light has given me problems too. Oddly right after I put the turbos back in. Of course, I cleaned the TB as I didn't know it wasn't recommended.
I've been priming the fuel pump 3 times before every start & that seems to cure the SES. I also had my idle raised to 850rpm, that fixed the stalling.
Maybe I'll try the reset thing now. I always thought it was bogus though.
I had a spare TB, 6 coils, & a MAF sensor from a friends 350Z all in my trunk just for this reason(IF something happened). After taking the car in to one of the most reputable shops, everything has seemed to have disappeared.
hmmmmm
With the problems i was having a couple months ago with these damn tb's i have a spare one in the trunk to.I had my original go out and the replacement went out less then 2 weeks later so i put a known good one in the trunk...................luckily all has been good since.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:38 PM
Add another one to the list, think my TB is going bad. I threw a P0507 last weekend, actually observed the triggering event, my RPMs were shooting up and down between 1000-2000 RPM during a 40 MPH cruise (there were 4-5 oscillations before it stabilized). Unplugged the battery to reset everything, idle seems to be a little better, but my AFRs are a little off. I'm reading 14.1-14.2 at low RPM, where I should be reading 14.7. Only thing I can think of is that the TB is failing, less air is making it into the mixture, causing the rich condition. These things still running for $100-150 for refurbs?