Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

ses light code p1084 HELP!

Old 07-16-2013, 11:06 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old thread, useful nonetheless. 06 6mt Service Engine Soon lit up.

Scanned with a $30 Actron Scanner. 2 codes, 1084 and a 1084 pd (Exhaust Valve Timing Sensor Bank 2). Reset. Light returned. Went to dealer (Orange Coast Infiniti), after going through schematics and 2 trips, purchased part # 23731-AL61A. Removed the engine cover, located the EVT Bank 2 sensor on the passenger side (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-cou...y-version.html) states this is on driver side....if anyone can confirm, that would be great. Infiniti schematics states it is on the rear of the head, passenger side. Reset light, and the car has been functioning for about a week without recurrence of the light.

The part has a 45 degree angle to the plug, removed with 10 mm wrench.

As far as I can tell, this EVT sensor is applicable to 6mt motors only as these motors have 4 sensors and not 2 like the non 6mt.

When the service engine light was on, idle was high at about 1500-1800, acceleration was still adequate. With the sensor that I replaced, the idle is back to 600.

Hope this helps someone else.

The following users liked this post:
iaintnothug (11-05-2013)
Old 11-05-2013, 11:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 Coupe 6MT
Originally Posted by ErikNYC
With my issue the light came back on. I had the same code error read at Auto Zone. I finally changed the driver side cam sensor and thousands of miles later, no light and power has restored.
Did the light turn off right after you changed the sensor? or did it turn off thousands of miles later?

Old 11-06-2013, 02:25 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by iaintnothug
Did the light turn off right after you changed the sensor? or did it turn off thousands of miles later?
I had reset the ecu during the install by disconnecting the battery. The light never reappeared, but the power was back instantly.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:54 AM
G35 Coupe 6MT
Looks like it was my passenger side cam sensor (Right Side Bank 1) because I changed my driver side (Left Side Bank 2) after seeing the P1084 and this forum as well as changing my oil and checking my battery and the light reappeared and stayed on after two ECU resets.

I was losing hope and was about to take it to my mechanic to diagnose but I thought I'd purchase the passenger side cam sensor and see how it went. After replacing the passenger side cam sensor the CEL still came back up but I noticed my gas mileage get better when I took a 120 mile round trip. After seeing this I decided to clear the CEL and it never came back.

So now my gas mileage is back to normal and the car idles at around 600RPM rather than 1000RPM when the light first appeared.

Thanks everyone!

Old 12-04-2013, 07:18 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
It's a good idea, especially on higher mileage cars, to replace both of the cam sensors at the same time. The codes don't always point to the correct one and if one fails it's reasonable to assume the other isn't long for this world.

Old 07-11-2014, 05:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
cam sensor

hey guys. code1084. just replaced cam sensors bank 1 and 2. cel still on and my idle is at 1000k. what am i doing wrong? i hear cel cuts off randomly sometimes with some people. what else can be the cause of these issues? pls help!!

Old 07-13-2014, 06:36 PM
G35 Coupe 6MT
Exhaust Timing Sensor

Turns out this code is for the Exhaust timing sensor. I did the same thing where I replaced the cam sensor banks 1 and 2 myself but finally folded and took my car to the dealer. 500 dollars later it turns out to be the third sensor I would/could have changed myself.

They actually looked at the code and googled it in front of me and was wondering why people were changing their cam sensors when clearly (to them) it was the exhaust timing sensor.

Good luck!

Old 07-22-2014, 02:47 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by iaintnothug
Turns out this code is for the Exhaust timing sensor. I did the same thing where I replaced the cam sensor banks 1 and 2 myself but finally folded and took my car to the dealer. 500 dollars later it turns out to be the third sensor I would/could have changed myself.

They actually looked at the code and googled it in front of me and was wondering why people were changing their cam sensors when clearly (to them) it was the exhaust timing sensor.

Good luck!
Do you happen to have the part number for this sensor? I've been getting the P1084 code on and off; and after changing the camshaft sensor and resetting the ecu, the code still comes back after long drives. I would just ignore and it would turn off after about 2 weeks but then itll return a couple days later. Also where is this sensor located?

Old 07-22-2014, 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by dc2long
Do you happen to have the part number for this sensor? I've been getting the P1084 code on and off; and after changing the camshaft sensor and resetting the ecu, the code still comes back after long drives. I would just ignore and it would turn off after about 2 weeks but then itll return a couple days later. Also where is this sensor located?
Yea. Where is this sensor??? Ive changed both cam sensors as well. When i googled 1084 everyone said change cam. Damn. Feel like i wasted $$$. Part # would be great.

Old 07-22-2014, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by "g"orge
Yea. Where is this sensor??? Ive changed both cam sensors as well. When i googled 1084 everyone said change cam. Damn. Feel like i wasted $$$. Part # would be great.
So I did a lot of digging last night and this is what I found out. The revup motor has four sensors in the back: 2 exhaust valve timing sensors, and 2 camshaft position sensors. Essentially they are same sensor but serve different purposes. The exhaust valve timing sensor for the passenger side and the camshaft position sensor for the driver side are the same (angled sensor), the exhaust timing sensor for the driver side and the camshaft position sensor for the passenger side are the same (straight sensor). P1084 indicates the exhaust valve timing sensor for bank 2 (driver side straight sensor).

I think the confusion is that everyone that changed the camshaft sensors were doing it for the non revup motors which do not have the exhaust timing sensors. There wasn't much info on the exhaust timing sensors for the rev up motors. And since the camshaft position sensor and exhaust timing sensor are the same, everyone just called it camshaft position sensor.

To answer where they are located, I think the exhaust valve sensor is right next to the camshaft sensor. Bank 2 driver side, bank 1 passenger side.

The following users liked this post:
AnonG35 (12-16-2020)
Old 07-22-2014, 03:15 PM
So I did a lot of digging last night and this is what I found out. The revup motor has four sensors in the back: 2 exhaust valve timing sensors, and 2 camshaft position sensors. Essentially they are same sensor but serve different purposes. The exhaust valve timing sensor for the passenger side and the camshaft position sensor for the driver side are the same (angled sensor), the exhaust timing sensor for the driver side and the camshaft position sensor for the passenger side are the same (straight sensor). P1084 indicates the exhaust valve timing sensor for bank 2 (driver side straight sensor). I think the confusion is that everyone that changed the camshaft sensors were doing it for the non revup motors which do not have the exhaust timing sensors. There wasn't much info on the exhaust timing sensors for the rev up motors. And since the camshaft position sensor and exhaust timing sensor are the same, everyone just called it camshaft position sensor. To answer where they are located, I think the exhaust valve sensor is right next to the camshaft sensor. Bank 2 driver side, bank 1 passenger side.
So basically you are saying there are 1 of each sensor on each side( 1 angled, 1 straight)? Ok. I changed the angled one on the driver side( cam sensor). I need to change the exhaust timing sensor ( straight one) on the driver side as well? Which you say is next to the angled one? I switched out bank 1 cam sensor(pass side) which i think i didnt need to. Can i use that on drivers side?

Old 07-22-2014, 04:10 PM
So basically you are saying there are 1 of each sensor on each side( 1 angled, 1 straight)? Ok. I changed the angled one on the driver side( cam sensor). I need to change the exhaust timing sensor ( straight one) on the driver side as well? Which you say is next to the angled one? I switched out bank 1 cam sensor(pass side) which i think i didnt need to. Can i use that on drivers side?
Yep one on each side. If you still have your original passenger camshaft sensor and it still works then you can use it to replace your driver side exhaust valve sensor. I just tried replacing mine just now and spent two unsuccessful hours taking the exhaust valve sensor out so I'm giving up for the day. I'll try again over the weekend. Hopefully you have more success with it than me haha.

Old 07-22-2014, 04:46 PM
Yep one on each side. If you still have your original passenger camshaft sensor and it still works then you can use it to replace your driver side exhaust valve sensor. I just tried replacing mine just now and spent two unsuccessful hours taking the exhaust valve sensor out so I'm giving up for the day. I'll try again over the weekend. Hopefully you have more success with it than me haha.
And where is the exhaust sensor in relation to the cam sensor on the drivers aide? Still have to remove the throttle body? Why so difficult to remove? Thanks.

Old 07-22-2014, 04:56 PM
And where is the exhaust sensor in relation to the cam sensor on the drivers aide? Still have to remove the throttle body? Why so difficult to remove? Thanks.
If you're facing the car from the front, the camshaft sensor is under the throttle body and the exhaust valve sensor is to the right of it . I had to remove the tb and intake to make room to get to the sensor.
To remove the sensor, you're suppose to push the tab while pulling on the sensor. This was hard to do because there isn't much room to move around. No matter how hard I pushed on the tab, the sensor still would not move. Also I tried to just undo the bolt that was holding the entire sensor but my sockets were all too big to fit in that tight space.

Old 07-22-2014, 05:00 PM
If you're facing the car from the front, the camshaft sensor is under the throttle body and the exhaust valve sensor is to the right of it . I had to remove the tb and intake to make room to get to the sensor. To remove the sensor, you're suppose to push the tab while pulling on the sensor. This was hard to do because there isn't much room to move around. No matter how hard I pushed on the tab, the sensor still would not move. Also I tried to just undo the bolt that was holding the entire sensor but my sockets were all too big to fit in that tight space.
Thank you! Keep me posted..

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ses light code p1084 HELP!