Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Need a torque wrench?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 07:45 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Lightbulb Need a torque wrench?

If you are looking for an inexpensive in lb trq wrench, Sears has a 3/8” drive on sale through tomorrow – it gets mixed reviews, but for $60 I figure what’s to lose? I picked one up today.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...orque+Wrenches

Also, bought a ½” drive ft. lb trq wrench – it was open on shelf and the last one, so they sold it to me for $54… this one gets really sh!tty reviews so I think I might return it for something better since I plan to use it more than the in lb (for torquing new Volks).

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...orque+Wrenches

Also, if you need a new toolbox, they have this one on sale for ½ price! (through tomorrow)… I’ve been putting off getting a new tool box forever, this one fits the bill perfectly for only $30 (regularly $60) – at least it gets consistently good reviews.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...+%26+Portables

It seems like I’m a Sears sales person – but of course I’m not… I just needed some new **** and thought I’d share the deals I found…

BTW – this site is running so ridiculously slow right now I almost bailed on posting this at all (took about five minutes waiting for pages to load)… hopefully someone will benefit from the painful effort. (I really hate this **** when its this slow!!!)

Old 08-01-2008, 10:06 PM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do they happen to be running any specials on impact wrenches and sockets?

I'm now *desperate* to get some socket/impact tools to complement my compressor.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:49 AM
^^^ didnt notice, sorry...

BTW, I'm taking the wrenches and toolbox back - Craftsman isnt what is used to be - these things suck! And only 90 day warraty All the other Craftsman tools I have are lifetime warranty - I've replaced 1 without any problem and it has been great... I wonder whats going on with them?

I picked up a better trq wrench at Pep Boys And guess I'm keeping my beat up 20 yr old toolbox (kinda like a favorite t-**** or pair of shorts )

Old 08-02-2008, 03:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the red tool box you show. Last long. Everything still works in it. Don't get craftsman torque wrenches. They don't last long. Even pep boys and autozone torque wrench don't last long.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:20 PM
Originally Posted by Scrooge
I have the red tool box you show. Last long. Everything still works in it. Don't get craftsman torque wrenches. They don't last long. Even pep boys and autozone torque wrench don't last long.
I got a different Craftsman toolbox today - suites my needs better than the one I original bought (and linked)... I'm a bit leery about the Pep Boys torque wrench (Powerbuilt)... but the construction seems better and the function is much more solid - however, calibration might be totally off?... I'm going to hit up the Snap On rep at work next week and see if I can get a decent deal on wrenches through them - I don’t use them often enough to warrant the price, but today I realized I can probably get company discount. At least then I won’t need to worry about quality.

I went to EVERY store in the area (at least a half dozen) - man there aren’t many decent choices for torque wrenches or floor jacks & stands.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:28 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Our Tools........?

Buying quality tools like SnapOn is worth whatever you spend, they'll last a
lifetime! I have a rachet that belonged to my Dad, it's gotta be 60 years old
and still works like new....SnapOn's worth the price!

Last edited by gary c; 08-03-2008 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:34 AM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
I need to get myself a complete set of tools. Im a DIY type of guy and want over a $1,000 dollars of tools & equipment (literally).

I have alot of tools but not enough for all my needs

Old 08-03-2008, 10:21 AM
Originally Posted by Skaterbasist
I need to get myself a complete set of tools. Im a DIY type of guy and want over a $1,000 dollars of tools & equipment (literally).

I have alot of tools but not enough for all my needs

the good thing about the G is for many things all you need is 1 rachet with a 10mm wrench I keep one in the glove box with a screw driver and have hardly ever need anything else

I have tools specificly bought for previous cars that I havent used in years... but someday I guess I may need them again... same with drill bits - when I was younger I would buy individual bits for specific projects I had... I ended up with a bunch of loose bits and no case so I ended up buying a whole set just to have the case and now I have double of most sizes

Henry, if the Snap-On account we have kicks down a good deal, I'll ask about a set if you're interested - I'll need to know what you are looking for though... hell, if you buy a whole set, we can both probably get a deal on torque wrenches!

Old 08-03-2008, 11:16 AM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you're a DIY, buy an air compressor. My wife's family bought us a smallish air compressor for christmas a couple of years ago. It's a portable job and doesn't have much capacity. But I regularly use it to fill our tires, and I even take it to the track so I can air up my tires when I'm done. It's physically about the size of a an airport carry-on bag, but I don't know its exact capacity. Maybe 5 gallons.

I used it with an impact wrench last weekend when I replaced my suspension. One of the 17mm bolts connecting the bottom of the front struts was stripped, on both the driver's and passenger sides. Even with liberal use of PB blaster, I couldn't break those bolts loose.

I used a two foot piece of pipe as a breaker bar. I ended up breaking a craftsman 17mm deep wall socket, a buddy's 17mm socket, and I even grenaded my own socket wrench. I went to a friend's shop and borrowed his 17mm impact socket, and that's all I needed. Like I said, my air compressor isn't very large, so it took several attempts to back out some of the longer bolts, but it sure beats using the manual tools(and breaking them).

Old 08-03-2008, 12:52 PM
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
do you get discounts on torque wrenches?
if you do let me know! i need one badly!
coz the stores around here carry crappy ones

Old 08-03-2008, 01:00 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by Skaterbasist

You will be suprised how small the bag o' SnapOn tools will be for $1000.

MANY years ago, I bought set of 1/2" drive SAE sockets in regular and deep, 3/8" drive SAE sockets in regular and deep, one set of SAE combi wrenches, and a good set of screw dirvers and that was $750.

That was 30 YEARS AGO!

I can't imagine what they would go for now.

Old 08-03-2008, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by Texasscout
You will be suprised how small the bag o' SnapOn tools will be for $1000.

MANY years ago, I bought set of 1/2" drive SAE sockets in regular and deep, 3/8" drive SAE sockets in regular and deep, one set of SAE combi wrenches, and a good set of screw dirvers and that was $750.

That was 30 YEARS AGO!

I can't imagine what they would go for now.
his post said "over" $1000

Old 08-03-2008, 04:32 PM
I want to get the new snap on tech angle torque wrench in both 3/8 and 1/2 size.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:21 PM
Wow!

Wowieee!!!!

So I went and talked with one of the mechanics in the shop and asked about the Snap-On rep and whether he gives good deals… Multiple people told me no, they are price gougers and their torque wrenches suck!

So, I get referred to a dealer down the street that we use for tools… and several other brands are recommended: Proto, SK, Armstrong, etc – a bunch of commercial grade manufactures… I narrow it down and go back to the yard to make a decision…

In the mean time I’m told one of our other divisions sends out torque wrenches for calibration – these are tools used on MASSIVE pieces of equipment, huge @ss machines... Well, the guy I talk with tells me they have a bunch of torque wrenches and he’ll give me one … he’s goes to his storage cabinet looks around and says, oh I thought we had some new ones, do you want this one, it was calibrated in April (had the cert sticky on the handle)… of course I said SURE!! He pulls out a case for it and hands them to me.

It’s an Armstrong ½” drive 25-250 ft lb, (I wish it was 3/8” but I’m not complaining) it’s a $200 wrench! The field guys we have that use tools like this don’t give a cap about them… in fact to them this is like pin clips are to use for the G… they are used to dealing with million dollar equipment and 100K+ tools…

Man I love my job – I just wish our guys used inch pound trq wrenches too - I guess I’ll have to be content with the Craftsman in lb for now…

Old 08-07-2008, 01:33 AM
I wouldn't trust pronto. Maybe SK

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need a torque wrench?