Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Misfire on cylinder 6!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 01:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it was noticeable once i took out the coils, and then the spark plug was soaked, i used the oem ngk plugs laser platinum

Old 11-14-2008, 01:35 PM
Received 911 Likes on 608 Posts
same thing happened to me, it was the valve cover

Old 11-14-2008, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by SDGenius
same thing happened to me, it was the valve cover
thats kind of relieving! lol im headed to the dealership right now and ill update as soon as i can

Old 11-14-2008, 01:41 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
p/n on plugs? Thanks

SD, did you notice any performance loss?

Old 11-14-2008, 01:53 PM
Received 911 Likes on 608 Posts
^^^yeah, a small blip at 6k RPMs but other than that, no. felt a lot better after it was fixed though but i also switched to one step colder plugs.

Old 11-14-2008, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by SDGenius
^^^yeah, a small blip at 6k RPMs but other than that, no. felt a lot better after it was fixed though but i also switched to one step colder plugs.
haha thats great, well i went to infiniti and they wont do ****, so i bought the valve covers and gaskets from riverside infinit (Thanks Rick!) and im having my mechanic install it for me for 80!

Old 11-14-2008, 10:13 PM
Another update, i went again and took out the coil pack for cylinder six cleaned it w a rag, put everything back together, and start the car up and what do ya know, everything goes back to normal, what a sigh of relief! but im still going to change out the valve cover, because there was oil in the spark plug thing.

Old 11-16-2008, 02:58 AM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
sorry!... thats what i meant powertrain not tranny i dont know why i said that

Old 11-16-2008, 09:34 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Please keep us all updated on this since this problem seems to be getting more frequent.... and most of us won't check our plugs until another 50k miles.

G/L with the fix tho!

Old 11-17-2008, 12:24 AM
no worries...and yea for sure, i ordered the parts from riverside infiniti, should be here on wednesday, and im going to install them probably on friday, but as of right now i got cylinder 6 to work again!

Old 07-10-2016, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by garry101
well i was changing out my spark plugs today, and on cylinder 6 taking out the plug there was oil on it, and i mean lots! it was like to the top, so i replace the plug. put everything back together and cylinder 6 was misfiring. im thinking i need to replace the valve cover and after that everything should be fine, anyother suggestions? i know i put the coil packs in back in the rights spots because i did the plugs one at a time putting it back together right away. im really worried right now! someone please help me! im almost positive its the valve cover that needs to be replaced, but with alot of oil in the cylinder 6 spark plug would that cause a misfire? thanks!
Bruh.. I found solution to what your experiencing.. And share this. If you find oil in spark plug tube you'll find it in cylinders 4,5 and 3 as well.. The oem valve covers have irreplaceable tube seals.. So u need to by aftermarket valve covers with the replaceable rubber seals.. U can get em from z1 motor sports with the gaskets for almost 400$. Now in addition to this I got all new spark plugs(changing them is how I found the problem) and all new ignition coils(+3-500).. As well an all new intake gaskets and an oil change... Once all together ran perfectly no leaks with the exception of the cylinder 6 misfire.. I just cleared the codes and pulled the coil and dos spark test.. It passed and I noticed I just didn't have it plugged in properly(always triple check your work).. I put it back in properly and now it runs perfectly fine like the day I pulled it out the lot.. Hope this helps.. If not and you plug in scan tool and find that your getting fuel and spark but showing poor results on power balance test you'll need to run a compression test because it's been a thing that the compression rings can go out or u may have worn valve guides.. Initially it'll run shitty cuz of the oil that will fall into chamber on re installation but once it wakes up and circulates you should be good.. Mine was sitting for weeks while I waited for parts and it still good.. Good luck brother I know the feelings of the struggle in this and it should have been on recall..

Old 01-11-2023, 02:34 AM
Completely stock besides headlights
Originally Posted by HRG3N3RAL
Bruh.. I found solution to what your experiencing.. And share this. If you find oil in spark plug tube you'll find it in cylinders 4,5 and 3 as well.. The oem valve covers have irreplaceable tube seals.. So u need to by aftermarket valve covers with the replaceable rubber seals.. U can get em from z1 motor sports with the gaskets for almost 400$. Now in addition to this I got all new spark plugs(changing them is how I found the problem) and all new ignition coils(+3-500).. As well an all new intake gaskets and an oil change... Once all together ran perfectly no leaks with the exception of the cylinder 6 misfire.. I just cleared the codes and pulled the coil and dos spark test.. It passed and I noticed I just didn't have it plugged in properly(always triple check your work).. I put it back in properly and now it runs perfectly fine like the day I pulled it out the lot.. Hope this helps.. If not and you plug in scan tool and find that your getting fuel and spark but showing poor results on power balance test you'll need to run a compression test because it's been a thing that the compression rings can go out or u may have worn valve guides.. Initially it'll run shitty cuz of the oil that will fall into chamber on re installation but once it wakes up and circulates you should be good.. Mine was sitting for weeks while I waited for parts and it still good.. Good luck brother I know the feelings of the struggle in this and it should have been on recall..
You can actually replace the rubber rings from the valve cover but not with the infiniti ones, the ones that fit perfectly are from a honda civic 2010, i did replace one of my valve cover gaskets because i had oil everywhere including cylinder 4 and 6 and there where no rubber seals at all when looking at them, i looked it up on youtube and i found that information, so instead of getting new valve covers i expend like 20 at most and it has been working perfectly fine, hopefully this helps somebody

Old 01-13-2023, 06:24 AM
Received 372 Likes on 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Jorge Flag
You can actually replace the rubber rings from the valve cover but not with the infiniti ones, the ones that fit perfectly are from a honda civic 2010, i did replace one of my valve cover gaskets because i had oil everywhere including cylinder 4 and 6 and there where no rubber seals at all when looking at them, i looked it up on youtube and i found that information, so instead of getting new valve covers i expend like 20 at most and it has been working perfectly fine, hopefully this helps somebody

Need more info on this. Please explain what u did.

Old 02-10-2023, 09:08 AM
Completely stock besides headlights
Originally Posted by Scorpi0
Need more info on this. Please explain what u did.
Im sorry for the delay on my answer, i hope it will help, so i was doing my driver side valve cover gasket and i notices that the seals were missing, my dad helped me and he got the ones for infiniti but they were way to big, so i looked up on youtube and found a guy explaining that you can use the ones from a 2010 honda civic, so i went to autozone and got those, they come 8 in the pack but you can only use 4 becase the other 4 will be loose, so if u replace all 6 u will need 2 packs, so far i have had no problems, no leaks or anything, i will try to find the name of the video so i can put it up here, since the guy explain way better than me

Old 02-10-2023, 01:23 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
This is probably the video he's referencing.