Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Is royal purple the most superior oil out there?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 01:17 PM
Premier Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
0-30 is fine. I also run 0-30 in my 350Z. I am using Amsoil currently but due to costs, I am switching to Penzoil Plat on my next oil change. The benefits over the cost isn't important to me anymore. PP will protect it better than most oils.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:18 PM
Canada, eh?

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Amsoil FTW!!!

Old 12-03-2008, 04:52 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by G35_TX
Royal Purple is way down on the list. It has high wear numbers from all the tests. It is not recommended and don't fall into the marketing BS.

Best oils from top to bottom:

Amsoil
Redline
Motul
Penzoil Platinum
M1
RP
We've never lacked for opinion over substance on this forum, and most of us have replaced substance and statistical "proof" (there is no such thing as proof in inferential statistics) with uncomfirmed reporting. The American Petroleum Institute's standards for oil no longer are considered the "Blue Ribbon Standard". For example, the European Association des Constructeurs Européens d'Automobiles has developed much higher standards for engine oil based on high performance European cars. Likewise, The Japanese Automotive Standards Organization (JASO) has seen the API standards (which is the US Bible on oils) as substandard and has moved towards developing their own motor oils. Car manufacturers in Japan and Europe (VW and Mercedes specifically-- 2 car manufacturers with extremely low reliability ratings I might add) are designing engines that may soon require oils rated much higher than our current Mobil 1's, German Castrols and Quaker States. This doesn't answer your question I know. For your purposes, most of us use synthetics and there is no credible research that indicates, unequivocally that one synthetic is superior to another. The tests Amsoil runs, for example, are not accepted by other synthetics manufacturers as proof of superiority over Moblil 1 or Royal Purple. The only true test is how the oil performs with your car, your driving style, whether you live in dusty and dry areas or in humid terrain, etc., etc. I've had 3 cars that have exceeded 300K miles each (one >500K), all on regular Castrol: I run Mobil 1 on my G and Acura.

Last edited by Braintree; 12-03-2008 at 04:59 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:05 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Originally Posted by Braintree
We've never lacked for opinion over substance on this forum, and most of us have replaced substance and statistical "proof" (there is no such thing as proof in inferential statistics) with uncomfirmed reporting. The American Petroleum Institute's standards for oil no longer are considered the "Blue Ribbon Standard". For example, the European Association des Constructeurs Européens d'Automobiles has developed much higher standards for engine oil based on high performance European cars. Likewise, The Japanese Automotive Standards Organization (JASO) has seen the API standards (which is the US Bible on oils) as substandard and has moved towards developing their own motor oils. Car manufacturers in Japan and Europe (VW and Mercedes specifically-- 2 car manufacturers with extremely low reliability ratings I might add) are designing engines that may soon require oils rated much higher than our current Mobil 1's, German Castrols and Quaker States. This doesn't answer your question I know. For your purposes, most of us use synthetics and there is no credible research that indicates, unequivocally that one synthetic is superior to another. The tests Amsoil runs, for example, are not accepted by other synthetics manufacturers as proof of superiority over Moblil 1 or Royal Purple. The only true test is how the oil performs with your car, your driving style, whether you live in dusty and dry areas or in humid terrain, etc., etc. I've had 3 cars that have exceeded 300K miles each (one >500K), all on regular Castrol: I run Mobil 1 on my G and Acura.
Probably why he's basing his list on the oil analysis results posted here and on the Z forums.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:17 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Probably why he's basing his list on the oil analysis results posted here and on the Z forums.
+1

just because someone posts an answer doesn’t mean it’s an "opinion" - often it is based on statistical/data research

Old 12-03-2008, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by OCG35
+1

just because someone posts an answer doesn’t mean it’s an "opinion" - often it is based on statistical/data research
If you're referring to my response, I'm not sure this is what is being suggested.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:19 PM
has anyone tried leading edge lube www.lelube.com...I've asked on a previous post, but the post died out before getting any replies. I've been thinking about trying it out after a review i read about it on importbuilders.com/blueprintracing.com...lemme know whay you guys think?

Old 12-03-2008, 11:48 PM
Originally Posted by DauntlessG
has anyone tried leading edge lube www.lelube.com...I've asked on a previous post, but the post died out before getting any replies. I've been thinking about trying it out after a review i read about it on importbuilders.com/blueprintracing.com...lemme know whay you guys think?

heres a link to the page the review is on...its about 3/4 down

http://www.importbuilders.com/buildingbestturbo.htm

the guy seems very biased, just want to know if there's any truth to it

Last edited by DauntlessG; 12-03-2008 at 11:56 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:05 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by OCG35
+1

+2. I am going by all the tests that have been done on many cars with different oils. I see them all the time on bobistheoilguy.com forums and PP is the best store bought oil you can find right now with the best test results (as in blackstone labs, etc). The other ones that are not store bought obviously are better, but also harder to get and more expensive.

Old 12-04-2008, 03:20 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by 4drmadness
Is royal purple the most superior oil out there?
They want you to think it is....

Old 12-04-2008, 03:20 PM
any say on eneos?

Old 12-27-2008, 01:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 4drmadness
Hey guys i have heard RP increases performance if you are a aggressive driver. I just wanted opinions on how RP is and do people use it?. If you guys dont use it, what type of oil would you recommend for performace. RP is pretty exp. so i want to research on it first.
Any brand of decent synthetic oil will increase power. There's nothing ground-shaking, or unique about that. If your vehicle is 2005 or newer, you will find that to maintain the warranty, the owners manual will specify up to date API SM rated motor oils. If you look on a bottle of RP 5W-30 or 10W-30, you will find it is an older API SL rated oil and not intended for 2005 + vehicles.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well for my own .02, Ive tried many oils in many different vehicles from my bike to my boat. While I haven't tried RP yet except in my boat tranny, Amsoil for now is what I'm using. I like it over Mobile 1 for durability and overall performance. I've noticed cleaner oil after changes and quieter running motors. PP I dont really care for other than the price. I didn't see any evidence to otherwise to keep running it. Actually I spun a rod bearing in my Big Block after only 1k miles using it. I know there are other contributing factors there, but after a rebuild by the same guy and running Amsoil its been running like a champ for two seasons. I'd like to try Motul or Redline next. Redline is well know in the snowmobile scene as well as Amsoil.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:59 AM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Iceman8
Well for my own .02, Ive tried many oils in many different vehicles from my bike to my boat. While I haven't tried RP yet except in my boat tranny, Amsoil for now is what I'm using. I like it over Mobile 1 for durability and overall performance. I've noticed cleaner oil after changes and quieter running motors. PP I dont really care for other than the price. I didn't see any evidence to otherwise to keep running it. Actually I spun a rod bearing in my Big Block after only 1k miles using it. I know there are other contributing factors there, but after a rebuild by the same guy and running Amsoil its been running like a champ for two seasons. I'd like to try Motul or Redline next. Redline is well know in the snowmobile scene as well as Amsoil.
PP would not cause your engine to spun a bearing. Your engine had a problem before that oil. PP is one of the best oils you can get now below Amsoil. It is better than M1 for store bought oil.

I can promise you Amsoil in your engine would have not saved your bearing from failing. The builder did something wrong when building the engine and it failed.

Old 12-28-2008, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by Iceman8
Well for my own .02, Ive tried many oils in many different vehicles from my bike to my boat. While I haven't tried RP yet except in my boat tranny, Amsoil for now is what I'm using. I like it over Mobile 1 for durability and overall performance. I've noticed cleaner oil after changes and quieter running motors.

Subject change: Just wondering, how many oil threads have we seen on this subject? We've covered identical material, the opinions (absent facts or notwithstanding the facts) are ingrained in many of us and most say the same thing (worded differently) from thread to thread and some from forum to forum. The same debate has occurred in several other forums (boat, farm tractor, snow-mobile, 18-wheeler, etc.), always with almost the same results. On this forum alone, there are likely >1000 posts on this subject.

Are we....beating a dead???????????????[/FONT]

Attached Thumbnails Is royal purple the most superior oil out there?-dead-horse.jpg  

Last edited by Braintree; 12-28-2008 at 09:57 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is royal purple the most superior oil out there?