Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

My first oil change...hooray!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 06:41 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My first oil change...hooray!!!!!!!

Sorry, I know a lot of veterans are here but let newbie do some talking. My warranty is about to expire so I figure I'll do my own oil change now instead of getting rape at Infiniti for $50 bucks.

Since I am a newbie, not finding the right sockets, spilling oil from the pan, jacking up the wrong place, I ended up taking 2+ hours to do my oil change. Hoping to do it in 1 hour next time.

At first I couldn't find the front garage point and instead jacked it up where the green area is so the car was a bit lop sided. Then I finally found the garage point in the middle. I hope I didn't screw anything up.

Do you guys use the funnel to catch the oil when you drain it? I didn't and when the oil slowed down it drip onto the side of the oil catcher pan.

Ended up having to wash garage afterward. The splash guard was such a pain. I did torque the drain plug and used a new washer. I had problem torquing the oil filter so I ended up hand twisting it.

Result: $26 buck Mobile 1 Synthetic, $6.50 Napa Gold filter.

$32.50 Synthetic oil change vs Infiniti $50 for conventional oil.

With Synthetic I plan to change oil every 6 months now. Is that ok? I probably drive about 3,000 to 3,500 miles in 6 months.

Also, some mentioned you had to jack up the rear for the remaining oil. But I didn't jack up the front high (2nd notch of the jack stand) since mines is AWD and the filter is in the front. I was able to stretch and get to the filter and drain plug without really needing to go all the way under the car. So when I lift up the back, there's wasn't much remaining oil at all. Almost nothing so I probably won't even jack up the rear next time.

Sorry for the long post, tired from the oil change but will worth it. Need to get a creeper next time.

As you can see from the picture below, my front wheels are barely off the ground.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:45 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Suggestions:

1) Use a set of Rhino ramps. I got an used set for $15
2) Cordless drill and 10mm bit ftw to get off the shield
3) Walmart for 5 qt jugs of your favorite oil for cheaper than qt prices
4) Fleetfilters.com for Napa gold oil filters for cheaper.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Suggestions:

1) Use a set of Rhino ramps. I got an used set for $15
2) Cordless drill and 10mm bit ftw to get off the shield
3) Walmart for 5 qt jugs of your favorite oil for cheaper than qt prices
4) Fleetfilters.com for Napa gold oil filters for cheaper.
1) The plastic ramps just kinda scares me
2) Yes, did use cordless drill
3) Yes, got it at Walmart ($26 for the 5 quart jug)
4) Yes, got the Napa gold from Fleetfilters. I actually read it from your previous thread. =) THANKS!!!

I WANT TO GIVE A SHOUT OUT TO BYTHABAY. I DID THE OIL CHANGE FOLLOWING YOUR DIY. YOU DA MAN.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You did good mikeee2

I place a 4x4 piece of cardboard under the car and use a Hydraulic jack with two adjustable stands and place the stands at the proper jacking points on the car.

I use Syntex 10-30 Synthetic oil with new Bosch filter, I like them the best. Open one up and you'll see why there a great filter.
I change my oil and filter around 6,000 miles, when you use quality oil and filter you don't need to change it that often.

It's a waste of Oil and money to change your Synthetic oil every 3,000 miles in my opinion. Save your money to get some good gloss wax and six pack of beer and find your favorite radio station.
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Doggy54th; 12-16-2008 at 03:19 PM.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:05 AM
i always just jack it up at the safety points and put jack stands under it

Old 12-16-2008, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by Doggy54th
You did good mikeee2

I place a 4x4 piece of cardboard under the car and us a Hydraulic jack with two adjustable stands and place the stands at the proper jacking points on the car.

I use Syntex 10-30 Synthetic oil with new Bosch filter, I like them the best. Open one up and you'll see why there a great filter.
I change my oil and filter around 6,000 miles, when you use quality oil and filter you don't need to change it that often.

It's a waste of Oil and money to change your Synthetic oil every 3,000 miles in my opinion. Save your money to get some good gloss wax and six pack of beer and find your favorite radio station.
What's that silver round thing on the right of your intake??? Some kinda horn?

Well, I don't drive much, thus I'll just change oil every 6 months (usually around 3,500 miles or so).

Old 12-16-2008, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by uf20wop
i always just jack it up at the safety points and put jack stands under it
The safety points are like 1.5 inches wide. If you already have the hydralic jack on it, how do you change it to the jack stands?

Old 12-16-2008, 11:50 AM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeee2
1) The plastic ramps just kinda scares me
Good job, and don't worry about those 'plastic' ramps, they are more than strong enough.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:52 AM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
The ramps are probably stronger/safer than the jack stands. And typically, you don't need to jack up the rear. But the rhinos are not that tall, so use cardboard instead of a creeper.

The price of Mobil must have gone up at wallmart. But good stuff!

Remember to prefill the oil filter before putting it on. mayb 1/2 full or something.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by SwivelHips
Good job, and don't worry about those 'plastic' ramps, they are more than strong enough.
Thanks. Yeah, they are rated over 8000 lbs or something. But just hearing the word "plastic" just doesn't seem as sturdy as steal.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by mikeee2
What's that silver round thing on the right of your intake??? Some kinda horn?

Well, I don't drive much, thus I'll just change oil every 6 months (usually around 3,500 miles or so).
It's a flashlight, didn't even see it until now.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by Doggy54th
It's a flashlight, didn't even see it until now.
OHHHHHHHH...HAHA

Old 12-16-2008, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
The ramps are probably stronger/safer than the jack stands. And typically, you don't need to jack up the rear. But the rhinos are not that tall, so use cardboard instead of a creeper.

The price of Mobil must have gone up at wallmart. But good stuff!

Remember to prefill the oil filter before putting it on. mayb 1/2 full or something.
Prefill oil filter? I did it according to Bythabay's DIY video. He just pop the hollow oil filter in and I followed that. Is that bad???

Old 12-16-2008, 05:35 PM
yeah you should pour a little oil in the filter before screwing on the new one. It is safer for the engine, for a second or two while the oil pump fills the filter the engine is not getting fresh oil

Old 12-16-2008, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by jmueller
yeah you should pour a little oil in the filter before screwing on the new one. It is safer for the engine, for a second or two while the oil pump fills the filter the engine is not getting fresh oil
Good to know for next time. Thanks...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My first oil change...hooray!!!!!!!