Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Building an M3 killer....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 06:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Building an M3 killer....

I've been a G35 owner for years. Started with an 06 coupe and just recently traded it in for an 08 35x. I really miss the looks of the coupe, but I live where we receive a fair amount of snow each year and my wife complained it was a pain to get the kids in and out of the coupe (Yeah - I'm probably whipped). The 35x seemed to be more "pratical" while still a fun car to drive.

Anyway, a friend recently purchased an 06 BMW M3. The thing is QUICK! I'm interested in building something to beat it. Its an ego thing.

I am not a techie. I just like to drive like a bat outta hell. I know the 35x is much heavier than the 35/37 coupe and that the all wheel drive mucks around with power distribution to the wheels etc. How much of a speed penalty does the all wheel drive aspect of the 35x introduce when talking about mods? Is it even worth considering when thinking about beating a rear wheel drive M3?

If it is something possible, are there recommendations on how to start. I'm not going to be able to do the work myself. As much as I would love to, I'd end up causing more damage than good. I've been reading through the forums; seeing a ton of discussion around forced induction / turbos, spacers, voltage increases, etc. I can spend a few grand on the mods. Probably $3 to $5k. Any advice on where / what to start? Also, any recommendations on a good mod shop in the Detroit area?

Alternatively, for the same money, I can probably get into a g37 MT6 vs the 35x, but then I won't have anything left for mods. I also wouldn't be able to beat the M3....

I'd appreciate some advice. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:57 AM
You're going to find that the only way to really make power with these cars is to go forced induction. All the bolt-ons out there would probably end up gaining you 20-30 HP. Maybe not that much.

The AWD is a bit of a pig so anything you can do to lighten the load would help as well.

***Edit***
Good place to start for bolt-ons would be Z-Tube, Plenum spacer, and Exhaust.
However, if you decide to go FI you might want to think about these mods a bit more as they will change some.

Last edited by TXMAG; 01-28-2009 at 07:03 AM.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:27 AM
FI ftw!!!!

Old 01-28-2009, 09:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TXMAG

The AWD is a bit of a pig so anything you can do to lighten the load would help as well.

***Edit***
Good place to start for bolt-ons would be Z-Tube, Plenum spacer, and Exhaust.
However, if you decide to go FI you might want to think about these mods a bit more as they will change some.
+1 on the F/I route. But the 08 g35x is the hr engine and there is no plenum spacer available for that engine.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:38 AM
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I believe the only way your going to be able to do it is by going FI. The cost of FI will be more than $5k.

IMHO, I'd give up on beating it. Lets say for fun your bolt-ons make you as fast as the M3. Most guys are competitive so your buddy will see the difference and then his bolt-ons make him faster again. You'll always be behind. Put the money elsewhere.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:44 AM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Great advice ^ ^

Plus it sounds like the G is probably the daily driver. How does the Mrs. Feel about the car being down for the whole time it'll be in the shop getting work done? (possibly 1-2 weeks)

Two, how will she feel about all the $$$ that went into you making the family car faster especially when she was against the sports coupe?

IMO, if you had two cars one you guys use all the time and the G as your sports toy, things would be different. Either way you slice it, its going to cost you plenty of $$$$$$$$$$

For me, I know I'm going FI in the next 2 years. So for one, I'm doing the basic mods now to satisfiy my craving for a little more speed and take off (although my car is pretty much faster than like 80 something % of cars on the road as is)

Ztube, Upgraded Revup airbox, K/N filter, Motordyne 5/16" CITPS, exhaust, grounding kit, eventually I'll add the UR pully set and go from there.

I've already accumulated 85% of these mods through the classifieds to keep cost <

From what I hear though, this should be enough to make me feel fast which is what I want anyway.

My car is daily driver so no need for me to be speed racer at least yet When I pay it off and add another vehicle that's when I'll let the good time roll! I believe these alone will help us satisfy most of that speed craving we so desire from our cars. (Just a little bit more power when necessary!!)

Old 01-28-2009, 12:20 PM
Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts
At a reputable shop who is probably pretty busy as it is, expect a full FI built to take anywhere from 4 weeks to the sky's the limit. For example people are saying Forged can take upwards of 6 or 7 months on the 350z forum. AAM took almost 2 months on mine. How long can you live without the family car?

If I were you I'd buy wifey a minivan before even considering FI'ing the family mobile...LOL

Old 01-28-2009, 01:08 PM
DJ, that's so true. Looks as if I may have to pick up a second car when I consider going FI too. Maybe some kind of a reliable beater.

Is that what a majority of folks do when they go FI?

Old 01-28-2009, 01:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jonnylaw
+1 on the F/I route. But the 08 g35x is the hr engine and there is no plenum spacer available for that engine.
the HR motor responds much better to NA mods than the de motor, so it is a much better platform to start with than the previous coupe and sedan. WTF does a spacer have to do with it? Even on the de motor the spacer does very little.

OP, FI is really your only option in order to beat an m3

Old 01-28-2009, 01:28 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
The cheapest and by far the most reliable way to go is sell the 08X and get the 09 G37 sedan. IT IS as quick as the E46 M3. The E46 is a 13.4-13.5@104-105mph. The G37 sedan runs the same times. Hell, Motor Trend got a 13.5@105mph out of the G37 sedan automatic. Then you can add HFCs and maybe some sort of tuner and pick up another 15 to 20whp.

To do forced induction the right way, you'll need about $10K and you'll still have drivability quirks.

You could also add some typical bolt-ons to the X, but you'll only be looking at a 15-20whp gain for around $2K.

Or the cheapest option is just to accept the fact that there will always be someone quicker.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:32 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
yeah, then there's the handling thing.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:31 PM
Umm hmm

Old 01-28-2009, 03:37 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
yeah, then there's the handling thing.
Yep. I'm still pretty much convinced the E46 M3 will be my next car.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:53 PM
Working on getting an E46 now. ^^ Can't wait

Old 01-28-2009, 03:55 PM
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
Talk to GTM they have turboed the HRs already they might be able to help you out.

You can also fab your own turbo kit all you need is the Manifolds and custom everything else.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.