Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Jim Wolf S2 Cams Installed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 06:49 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
not available for sedan yet.
yes it is. call them.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:48 PM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
Originally Posted by Kaiten
I just got back from Houston Raceway Park. My best run of the night was a quarter mile time of 13.7 seconds at 105 mph. I'll attribute this to either a low dyno showing or I've finally learned to stage/launch my car correctly and I actually had no real gains from this modification. Before I went I had the Exhaust Depot Y-Pipe removed and my OEM Y-pipe bolted back in for a final dyno showing of 248 whp and 231 wtq. Whatever the case, DaveB is right what's done is done there's no chance I'm going to shell out money and waste time having the shop swap back in my factory camshafts/replace with another brand of camshafts. They're all pretty tired of seeing me already and I'll bet this board is too! I'll wait for my Osiris and eTune and see how things go from there.
If you are running those times, with just cams and no tune the dyno might be off. What kind of dyno was it?

Subscribed for updates

Old 02-07-2009, 09:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DaveB
A 13.7@105mph with an NA automatic? What were your times before? I know HRP is a very quick track because my 94 Z28 was about .3 and 2mph quicker there than any of the Kansas City tracks I've raced at, BUT if your car is naturally aspirated and is pulling 13.7s at a whopping 105mph, keep the cams, get a tune, Cosworth plenum, DRs, and consider a higher stall torque converter. That should propel you into at last the 13.4@106ish range. That is impressive.

You should also source an HR y-pipe. You'll love it and it will restore some low and midrange punch.
My times were like 15.1 the very first time I ran my car and 14.3 the next couple of tries. I used the launch instructions someone had given me in my other post; it actually might have been you. For 5150DS, my dynos are from a Dynojet, but my car is already modded because everyone told me cams are not a first mod. I already have the mrev lower manifold, motordyne 1/2 inch spacer, and headers. I really want the Cosworth plenum but I like the stealthy street legal look. Any suggestions on the tq converter? No idea what a DR is but I'm waiting on my Osiris to arrive.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:06 PM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
DR= Drag Radial,

Your 1/4 mile time is great. Was the $1000 the price of the cams and install?

Don't get the Cosworth if you already have the MREV and 1/2" spacer, at least I wouldn't.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:20 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Kaiten
My times were like 15.1 the very first time I ran my car and 14.3 the next couple of tries. I used the launch instructions someone had given me in my other post; it actually might have been you. For 5150DS, my dynos are from a Dynojet, but my car is already modded because everyone told me cams are not a first mod. I already have the mrev lower manifold, motordyne 1/2 inch spacer, and headers. I really want the Cosworth plenum but I like the stealthy street legal look. Any suggestions on the tq converter? No idea what a DR is but I'm waiting on my Osiris to arrive.
A 13.7@105mph is exceptional for a 5AT and 105mph is a record for ANY NA 1st gen G35, auto or 6MT. With the tune, you'll have a raised rev limiter to take advantage of the car's upper rpm breathing. You need to post up your real dyno graphs so I can give you an idea of the new shift points because your Excel graphs are showing the cams are still making power to fuel cut. You need to shift about 200 to 400rpms PAST peak power, depending on which gear you're in. The Cosworth plenum breathes better above 6000rpms than any of the spacer/MREV setups which is why it's ideal for heavy breathing VQs.

The high stall TC will allow for a high rpm launch and more torque multiplication which will get you off the line a bit harder. PM OCG35 because I believe he's one of the few with an aftermarket higher stall TC. IMO, it's a better route to go than gears because you won't loose cruise control (unless you have an 04.5 model).

Old 02-08-2009, 01:13 AM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
^^^ you keep saying I have TC, and I keep telling you I don’t.

Funny though - I noticed that much of the advice you give is based on what others of us have done.

Kudos I guess for your dedicated study of the forums. However, I haven’t seen any real world application testing of your own other than taking parts off other versions of our car and boasting worthwhile stats.

I'm not trying to pick a fight with you - but I get tired of seeing you post up as a knowledge source when most of what you recommend you've never tried yourself. Not to mention the mods you've never tried that you tell people to avoid.

Try this = post what you've experienced first hand and let us all know the results. And leave it at that.

As to the recent recommendations you keep giving for Cosworth plenum - where do you get the idea that its a worth-while expense?

Old 02-08-2009, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by OCG35
^^^ you keep saying I have TC, and I keep telling you I don’t.

Funny though - I noticed that much of the advice you give is based on what others of us have done.

Kudos I guess for your dedicated study of the forums. However, I haven’t seen any real world application testing of your own other than taking parts off other versions of our car and boasting worthwhile stats.

I'm not trying to pick a fight with you - but I get tired of seeing you post up as a knowledge source when most of what you recommend you've never tried yourself. Not to mention the mods you've never tried that you tell people to avoid.

Try this = post what you've experienced first hand and let us all know the results. And leave it at that.

As to the recent recommendations you keep giving for Cosworth plenum - where do you get the idea that its a worth-while expense?
Wow, okay. You're not trying to pick a fight, but you're basically saying I'm full of crap I thought you and I had put our differences aside, but I guess not. If you reread my post, you'll see I say that "I believe" you had a revised TC. I'm sorry if I can't keep all you Socal big spender/high modification guys straight. I was trying to help him out and point him in the right direction. That's all.

Additionally, it is so ANNOYING when people say you can't make any recommendations or have any knowledge regarding modifications unless you've tried them first hand. You and handful of your Socal brother plus another member in TX and myself have hashed this out numerous times in the past so why bring it up again? You're like a broken record. Once again, I'll just say I've been working on/with/have direct knowledge of the VQ series for about 11 years now. I've also been modifying and racing cars myself since the earlier 1990s. I don't claim to be some super knowledgeable all-knowing person, but I do have a pretty firm grasp and what the modifications intended purposes are and if they're valid on the VQ series or most any other car because the general concept is the same. The VQ is not some special engine. It's just a standard DOHC V6. You can continue to discredit me and think I'm full of BS, but many other on this site see me in a different light. According to you, we must buy the mod and then test it. Only then can we make any recommendations regarding the modification. That sounds absolutely ludicrous to me.

As for the Cosworth plenum, I've seen dynos of it making power to around 7400rpms on a built VQ35DE last year on my350z.com. As shown on many Revup dynos with and without the MD spacer and MREV, the motor makes power to around 6900rpms and then power starts to tail off. Looking at that tells me the Cosworth plenum offers better breathability in the upper rpms vs the MD setups. I'd never recommend the Cosworth plenum unless the car had cams.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:05 PM
Kaiten-

Can you please post the date and 1/4 run (broken down into 60', 1/8 mph/ET, and 1/4 mile ET/MPH) down prior to the cams and then the same for the cams?

Old 02-08-2009, 12:08 PM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
I would get a 4.083 final drive. Should improve times consistently. The acceleration is nothing short of amazing. A lot of clutch work though but worth it.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:10 PM
Received 911 Likes on 608 Posts
Dave & OC,

it's on!!! hahahahhahhahahahahhahahah, maybe i should break the ice by reminding you two that i have the best NA setup for the sedan, LOL.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:21 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
^^^ no it's not "on"...

Dave has a tendency to tell others what to do based on what he's seen others do. Very little of what he recommends has he done himself.

He's a forum student and passes on the info he sees successful from others.

It really is that simple. And it annoys me sometimes - last night just struck a nerve for some reason.

The good news is at least he passes on the info without getting it @ss-backwards like many, many people do out here. Also, it is refreshing when he posts the things he himself has found useful (even though many of them I wouldn’t bother with – or would use for reasons other than his).

End of subject from my end - back to topic.

Old 02-08-2009, 02:43 PM
noted

Old 02-08-2009, 03:37 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Dave & OC,

it's on!!! hahahahhahhahahahahhahahah, maybe i should break the ice by reminding you two that i have the best NA setup for the sedan, LOL
What are you running?

Kaiten - 105 MPH is awesome for NA. I think there are a few things that might be worth your while to do to even out the gains for smoothness across the band. I DONT think that getting the cosworth is going to be worth the additional cost. I think that you need to be running some test pipes/HFC if you aren't. A great addition would be the XYZ pipe from motordyne.

Sounds like you are running strong. I'd like to hear a clip of what your S2 cams sound like if you've got one.

Old 02-08-2009, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by Tollboothwilley
What are you running? Kaiten - 105 MPH is awesome for NA. I think there are a few things that might be worth your while to do to even out the gains for smoothness across the band. I DONT think that getting the cosworth is going to be worth the additional cost. I think that you need to be running some test pipes/HFC if you aren't. A great addition would be the XYZ pipe from motordyne.

Sounds like you are running strong. I'd like to hear a clip of what your S2 cams sound like if you've got one.
click the cardomain link in my sig

Old 02-08-2009, 04:08 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
How are the NGK Laser Platinums? Why did you go 1 step colder...no FI.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Jim Wolf S2 Cams Installed