Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

exhaust for torque gain/ 2.5-4.5krpm acceleration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 02:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
exhaust for torque gain/ 2.5-4.5krpm acceleration

what would be the best exhaust for power in this range of numebrs. Price (within reason because i dont wanna buy a ti setup) is not a big deal. I was planning on getting the injen, but i dunno now... i want something that sound good at wot (loud isnt a big deal) and idles with a deeper rumble but NOT loud. I dont want the sound of my friend's 240 with a big muffler that is really loud and really rumbles at idle. his car resmebles the sound of a civic or or something to me... what would u guys think. Fujitsubu is recommended a lot... what are its strong points? I want to change the exhaust note/ volume... sicne hp gains are hit or miss on the vq35, i might as well have one that sounds good.

2004 Black on Black g coupe 6spd.... aluminum pedals, clear corners, z tube, and pop charger. soon to have 19" volk gt-c's and PIAA xtreme whites in the clearance and corners
Houston Texas

Old 07-08-2004, 05:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: exhaust for torque gain/ 2.5-4.5krpm acceleration

i HAVE THE GEDDY SP2 CATBACK EXHAUST AND INJEN SOUND GOOD NO TOO LOUD SOUND BETTER ON HIGHWAY THEN STOCK A DEEPER SOUND

WWW.ATOZSUPPLEMENT4U.COM
MY WEB STORE

Old 07-08-2004, 06:29 PM

is it just me or did that post not make sense? maybe i was distracted by the CAPS LOCK

2004 Black on Black g coupe 6spd.... aluminum pedals, clear corners, z tube, and pop charger. soon to have 19" volk gt-c's and PIAA xtreme whites in the clearance and corners
Houston Texas

Old 07-08-2004, 06:55 PM

I think he's yelling because he's been too close to his loud exhaust for too long

2003.5 Sedan 6MT, Brilliant Silver

Old 07-08-2004, 07:00 PM

I have Stillen exhaust on my sedan -- best investment so far for hp gain. Nice sound at idle... not too loud at normal acceleration... much louder at WOT but not as overwhelming as a Civic with a 3" stove pipe.

2003.5 Sedan 6MT, Brilliant Silver

Old 07-08-2004, 07:14 PM

i want the biggest gain possible in low rpm's.... the g does well enough on the high way for my liking

Houston Texas

Old 07-08-2004, 10:49 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you measure the oem exhaust back pressure [at a bung after last cat] you will find it is roughly 3.0 psi at 4,000 rpm and rises to 5-6 psi at redline 6,600 rpm.

The 3 psi represents roughly 6 HP or 8 lb/ft lost at 4,000 rpm.
Straight pipes no mufflers might drop this in half at 4,000 rpm.

Below that rpm the exhaust system creates even less restriction, as it is a function of flow.

A 214 ci engine at 4,000 rpm only exhausts [214/2 x 4000] /1728= ~~ 250 CFM.

Nothing in the way of mods [other than nitrous or postive displacement superchargers] can have any effect down at 2500 rpms........well smaller pullies might change things a tiny bit.

Old 07-08-2004, 11:02 PM
NY G-Squad G Race Driver

Damm now im really thinking that I shouldve gotten the stillen catback instead of the borla!! I just didnt have the extra 300$ for it, dam. I hope I get good gains witht he borla and the test pipe's, I cant imagine what it must be like with stillena nd test pipe's. Crazy gains!! And raznips, its not just you, I think he was sniffing too much of those exhaust fumes lol!!

Martin
2003.5 BS G35
Nismo Aero/Sport Package
Injen CAI
B+G Springs
ADR M-Classic 19's..

Old 07-09-2004, 10:43 AM

haha... hmmm well im thinking that im gonna get injen catback installed for 800 WITH labor. After that, im gonna get cats and plenum and then be done with performance mods on the g.

Houston Texas

Old 07-09-2004, 12:45 PM
NY G-Squad G Race Driver

Raz exactly what im doing. Last two for me will be test pipe's and plenum. You going with crawford? and what cat's?

Martin
2003.5 BS G35
Nismo Aero/Sport Package
Injen CAI
B+G Springs
ADR M-Classic 19's..

Old 07-09-2004, 01:16 PM

probably both crawford.... i havent read much on the cats but still have a while to go before i get the money (working full time this summer making ~$400 a week after taxes), so i have planned out pretty much my income vs mods and when each will happen haha.

I will probably research a lot more before i get my cats on what kinda i wanna go with, but i will be looking at crawford first (especially since i heard their customer service was top notch). my mods are going to be like this when im done

ztube + jwt popcharger (already have)
piaa xtreme whites in the corners and clearance (clear corners already on)
Volk GT-C RMC finish 19x9.5 rear 19x8.5 front with toyo t1's (ordering in the next 2 weeks)
injen exhaust when i sell my stock wheels or get my next paycheck... whichever comes first
crawford cats and plenum when i sell my stock wheels or get my next paycheck.... whichever comes 2nd

then im going to probably end up doing springs, camber adjusters and sways

and then i want an eclipse avn2454

that will complete my ride! I want to have all of this done by december (probably have my parents pay for part of the screen for my only xmas present and only have to pay for 1500ish of it.

I need a job for after school starts... any ideas?! I think im going to try and get a job delivering chinese food... those kids freakin BANK!

Houston Texas

Old 07-09-2004, 04:31 PM
NY G-Squad G Race Driver

Raz hahaha, chinese food delivery guy. Well you wont be the first delivery guy with a hot car. Some pizza guy rolled up to my house in an M3 with rims HAHAH.. I was like uhhh godd damm!!!! You got a "slow"delivery car lol. Yea im still one step ahead of ya I got my rims and springs in and got my exhaust already. now im just waiting for my plenum and test pipe's. Im 19 so its all good, makin money is hard especially while in school. (Highschool or College) Work for umm, dunno what you like or do even where you live so hard to say. You got AIM?? Im me. Martin

Martin
2003.5 BS G35
Nismo Aero/Sport Package
Injen CAI
B+G Springs
ADR M-Classic 19's..

Old 07-09-2004, 06:10 PM
Don't drink and Mag Race
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Q45tech said:

"If you measure the oem exhaust back pressure [at a bung after last cat] you will find it is roughly 3.0 psi at 4,000 rpm and rises to 5-6 psi at redline 6,600 rpm.
The 3 psi represents roughly 6 HP or 8 lb/ft lost at 4,000 rpm.
Straight pipes no mufflers might drop this in half at 4,000 rpm.
Below that rpm the exhaust system creates even less restriction, as it is a function of flow.
A 214 ci engine at 4,000 rpm only exhausts [214/2 x 4000] /1728= ~~ 250 CFM.
Nothing in the way of mods [other than nitrous or postive displacement superchargers] can have any effect down at 2500 rpms........well smaller pullies might change things a tiny bit."

There are three ways to accomplish 'nothing' as you put it.

The first is to have an intake designed to take advantage of the wave effect. This is effect is called ram charging and is well documented. The length and diameter of the intake runners both impact this. It is possible to increase the volumetric efficiency to greater than 100% using this method.

The second is to have an exhaust system (esp. headers) that promotes scavenging. This not only reduces backpressure to zero, but actually creates a vacuum to 'scavenge' the burnt gases out of the chamber and charge the cylinder with fresh air (depending on overlap)

The third is to design a camshaft that has lower power peaks. You may give up peak power as an undesirable side effect, but it could increase power down low.

If you are really splitting hairs, how about lengthening the stroke? Are you really sure that "nothing....will have ANY effect?"

ChicagoX

'04 G35X Graphite/graphite, NAV, wood, premium

Old 07-10-2004, 10:20 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

But the G35 ALREADY has tuned intake runners to optimize HP and torque..........sure you can design a change, lengthen to lower resonant rpm....enlarge to raise the HP rpm or change the 1.5 degree length taper. Recast the entire intake system, have cams built, heads and valves enlarged anything is possible.

Since it is a Federal Felony to tamper with things internal to or external [exhaust manifolds, headers, precats, or cats], I cannot discuss things that would make me a party to the furtherance of a Federal Felony.

Fortunately or unfortunately the FBI and EPA are busy doing other things than indicting owners for tampering. But ocassionally during Democratic governments they make examples of a few Specialty Shops and Owners.
California is pretty sticky all year long but emission bribery seems rampant.

Old 07-10-2004, 10:46 AM

Q,
When you say Felony are you referring to violations of the Clean Air Act of 1970 or are there other Federal or state (other than Cali) statutes that I'm not aware of?

As far as I can tell the penalties are only Civil fines and far more severe if you are selling something rather than modifying it for your own use. If you're modifying it for your own use then best I can deduce is we're violating the law by licensing an off road use vehicle for public driving. That's a misdemeanor in any state I've ever lived in. It's akin to driving your all terrain 4 wheeler down the block.

2004.5 Coupe/5AT/Ivory/Everything but front spoiler/Nismo CAI/Crawford V5/Crawford Cats