Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

6+ hours in the garage this weekend...DIY...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 05:51 PM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeee2
Oh...you have z suspension on your x so you'll definitely need to raise it higher. My suspension is stock. At one point I did have unrevised z springs on my x and also bought coupe springs to swap the rear but it never happened and I went back to stock.

So you are riding on z spring/shocks in front and coupe springs/oem shock on rear? How are the rear shocks holding up?

Wow...and you running stagger on your x as well.
yes and no...

i'm running Z springs in the front and Z springs/shocks for the rears. remember we dont have an option for front struts yet. I"ve only had this setup for a week.

I have coupe springs for the rears not installed.

As for my staggered wheels, Yes i do and my AWD SEEMS to be working just fine as of now.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:04 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TurTLe*
yes and no...

i'm running Z springs in the front and Z springs/shocks for the rears. remember we dont have an option for front struts yet. I"ve only had this setup for a week.

I have coupe springs for the rears not installed.

As for my staggered wheels, Yes i do and my AWD SEEMS to be working just fine as of now.
Got it. It's been a long time and I got it mixed up. I thought x has to use oem for rear shocks. You are right. It's the front shocks that we need.

When I had the z springs my cambers were really bad. It was -2.5 cambers I think and my tires got killed.

I had the coupe springs like you as well that wasn't installed. Anyway, I ended up selling both the z and coupe spring set.

Staggered looks mad nice but I am not sure if that's good for the awd in the long run.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:55 PM
Got it. It's been a long time and I got it mixed up. I thought x has to use oem for rear shocks. You are right. It's the front shocks that we need.

When I had the z springs my cambers were really bad. It was -2.5 cambers I think and my tires got killed.

I had the coupe springs like you as well that wasn't installed. Anyway, I ended up selling both the z and coupe spring set.

Staggered looks mad nice but I am not sure if that's good for the awd in the long run.
yea, that's why i said FOR NOW, no one can really say this or that on it. It might put more stress on the system, but whos to say nissan didn't beef the system up just a bit or overbuilt this system. Its a system that has similarity to the r34 skyline's and a LOT of them run staggered on their AWD systems. Yea its not pound for pound the same system but its like big orange to little orange rather then apple to oranges.

I like it for now, i'll see how things are down the line. Check out my thread in sedan media section for pictures of the staggered setup

Old 05-28-2009, 09:41 PM
yea, that's why i said FOR NOW, no one can really say this or that on it. It might put more stress on the system, but whos to say nissan didn't beef the system up just a bit or overbuilt this system. Its a system that has similarity to the r34 skyline's and a LOT of them run staggered on their AWD systems. Yea its not pound for pound the same system but its like big orange to little orange rather then apple to oranges.

I like it for now, i'll see how things are down the line. Check out my thread in sedan media section for pictures of the staggered setup
Just checked your thread. A dropped always look good. You have really bad negative camber that's for sure. You should get camber kit and fix it up fast or you'll just burn away your tires.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:40 AM
Originally Posted by DaveB
I went with non-directional 215/55R17 Falken ZE-329. I was pretty pleased with them from early December through late March. They're much better than the Avon M550s I had. The 329 showed good wear, soft ride, and pretty decent handling. I also set my alignment to max toe-in to fit the feathering problem. That seemed to really help.
Gotcha. I am considering kumho ecsta asx or goodyear eagle gt. They are both asymmetric (non-directionals) I believe. I like the aggressive look on the eagle gt.

Suprised you didn't went with wider tires and went stock size.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:55 AM
^ i would stay away from the goodyear eagle line. that aggressive thread is VERY VERY loud.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:48 AM
^ i would stay away from the goodyear eagle line. that aggressive thread is VERY VERY loud.
Really? You've had them on before? I currently have the Avon m550 and they are roaring!...hehe

Old 05-29-2009, 07:00 PM
one of my failed attempts were eagle GT in 225/45 on the fronts, i had them on for 3 day and yea very happy they were the wrong size. they were pretty much new as well, had least 8/32's on there.

i would say the way that aggressive thread stands out is about the same as how loud they are on the road.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice pictures man...reminds me i gotta do mine also!

Old 05-29-2009, 09:52 PM
one of my failed attempts were eagle GT in 225/45 on the fronts, i had them on for 3 day and yea very happy they were the wrong size. they were pretty much new as well, had least 8/32's on there.

i would say the way that aggressive thread stands out is about the same as how loud they are on the road.
Any chance your alignment was off? if toe is way off it may be dragging the tires and creating roaring sound??? just a thought

The reviews on the tires are pretty good though...

Old 05-29-2009, 11:40 PM
i had the GT tires on before any mods were done. i think it was based off the thread design and the grip it makes sense that the road noise would be more. the tire could be really good in terms of traction but the road noise really killed it for me. even if its the best tire made the noise will make me rate it VERY LOW.

i take back what i said about the all the EAGLE line being loud. my eagle RSA in my fronts are not loud. they are just your NORMAL all-seasonal tire. not great in anything but fair/average all around.

if you buy new you have a 30 day warranty to return them. so go for it if your getting it new. i bought a pair of used tires so it could be bad to begin with. it sounds similar to jeeps driving on the highway with all out mud tires on.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:12 AM
i had the GT tires on before any mods were done. i think it was based off the thread design and the grip it makes sense that the road noise would be more. the tire could be really good in terms of traction but the road noise really killed it for me. even if its the best tire made the noise will make me rate it VERY LOW.

i take back what i said about the all the EAGLE line being loud. my eagle RSA in my fronts are not loud. they are just your NORMAL all-seasonal tire. not great in anything but fair/average all around.

if you buy new you have a 30 day warranty to return them. so go for it if your getting it new. i bought a pair of used tires so it could be bad to begin with. it sounds similar to jeeps driving on the highway with all out mud tires on.
30 day warranty is from tirerack? Wait, so you can drive it for almost a month and return for FULL REFUND???

Old 05-30-2009, 12:45 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Gotcha. I am considering kumho ecsta asx or goodyear eagle gt. They are both asymmetric (non-directionals) I believe. I like the aggressive look on the eagle gt.

Suprised you didn't went with wider tires and went stock size.
I wanted to keep the stock sized rubber because they're my winter tires and narrower tires will bite better through the snow.

Old 05-30-2009, 01:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I using same jack stand.

Old 05-30-2009, 05:08 PM
30 day warranty is from tirerack? Wait, so you can drive it for almost a month and return for FULL REFUND???
not 100% on full refund. and not 100% sure on tirerack's policy.

I think its more on the maker's policy and the location where you buy it. I know people who have returned them after a week. because the store said give it a week or 500 miles for them to break in. They returned the tires for another brand and paid the diffrence.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 6+ hours in the garage this weekend...DIY...