Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

6+ hours in the garage this weekend...DIY...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 11:53 PM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
mike, i was wrong about the tires. i had a set of goodyear EAGLE F1 GS or RS those are loud as hell... EAGLE GT looks like a whole diffrent tire.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:22 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TurTLe*
mike, i was wrong about the tires. i had a set of goodyear EAGLE F1 GS or RS those are loud as hell... EAGLE GT looks like a whole diffrent tire.
My name is actually Bobby...I just go by my screen name "mikeee2"...

Anyway, this is the Eagle GT I was referring to

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....Model=Eagle+GT

They are new tires that came out last year I think

Old 06-28-2009, 05:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeee2
Thanks...
Okay Mikeee2.

Better late than never. Here are pics of our Ody on ramps. The ones in front are the 2x12s and the ones in the back are the 2x10s.

They give me about 6 inches of lift and I have NO fear of a collapse.

Attached Thumbnails 6+ hours in the garage this weekend...DIY...-img_3106-1-.jpg   6+ hours in the garage this weekend...DIY...-img_3110-1-.jpg  
Old 06-28-2009, 05:30 PM
Thanks...
More here mikeee2.

Attached Thumbnails 6+ hours in the garage this weekend...DIY...-img_3107-1-.jpg   6+ hours in the garage this weekend...DIY...-img_3108-1-.jpg  
Old 06-28-2009, 05:36 PM
Sweet. Very nice...can you sell them to me...HAHA

I see that you nail them together right? How did you do it and prevent the wood from splitting?

Old 06-28-2009, 06:26 PM
Sweet. Very nice...can you sell them to me...HAHA

I see that you nail them together right? How did you do it and prevent the wood from splitting?
Sorry but not for sale!

Very easy to make. All the boards are bolted together and countersunk so not much of the bolt head or threading (and/or nut) are beyond the plane of the boards. The shortest bolts are roughly 3 inches and the longest ones are 6 inches. Longest boards (at bottom) are 6 ft long and the shortest boards are 3 ft long. So I had to pre-drill all the holes.... No worries of wood splitting.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:56 PM
Originally Posted by geronimomoe
Sorry but not for sale!

Very easy to make. All the boards are bolted together and countersunk so not much of the bolt head or threading (and/or nut) are beyond the plane of the boards. The shortest bolts are roughly 3 inches and the longest ones are 6 inches. Longest boards (at bottom) are 6 ft long and the shortest boards are 3 ft long. So I had to pre-drill all the holes.... No worries of wood splitting.
What's countersunk? Pre-drill = use the drills and pre-drill a smaller hole first?

How easy is it to roll your car / van onto all 4 ramps at once?

Old 06-29-2009, 12:04 AM
What's countersunk? Pre-drill = use the drills and pre-drill a smaller hole first?

How easy is it to roll your car / van onto all 4 ramps at once?
I made the part of the wood where the head of the bolt and the nut/washer the same size as the head of the bolt and nut/washer so they'd be flush with or below the surface of the wood, ie. not protrude out of the wood...

Very easy to roll up. There is about an one inch gap between the top of the ramp and rail under the doors. As for the front, since the ramp is so long, I do not have clearance issues.

I made them this way so I wouldn't have to guess whether I was at the top of the ramp. All I had to do was count the number of "lifts" and once I counted to 4, I knew I was at the top. Plus the 2x12's are heavy, about 74lbs per ramp. The 2x10's are about 61lbs per ramp.

Last edited by geronimomoe; 06-29-2009 at 12:18 AM.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:18 AM
Originally Posted by geronimomoe
I made the part of the wood where the head of the bolt and the nut/washer the same size as the head of the bolt and nut/washer so they'd be flush with or below the surface of the wood, ie. not protrude out of the wood...

Very easy to roll up. There is about an one inch gap between the top of the ramp and rail under the doors. As for the front, since the ramp is so long, I do not have clearance issues.

I made them this way so I wouldn't have to guess whether I was at the top of the ramp. All I had to do was count the number of "lifts" and once I counted to 4, I knew I was at the top.
Sorry, but I have very limited (if at all) any wood working experience so pardon my stupidity. Why did you need a washer? Can't you just hammer the nail through the wood panels through the pre-drill hole?

One inch gap? rail under the doors?

With that being said, more dumb questions.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:30 PM
Sorry, but I have very limited (if at all) any wood working experience so pardon my stupidity. Why did you need a washer? Can't you just hammer the nail through the wood panels through the pre-drill hole?

One inch gap? rail under the doors?

With that being said, more dumb questions.
Washer will prevent the bolt head or nut from going into the wood.

If you wish to nail all the boards together, you can. I just chose to bolt all the boards together.

When the ramps for the rear wheels are under the car, before the car is driven onto the ramps there is a 1" gap between the top of the ramps and the car.