Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

6+ hours in the garage this weekend...DIY...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 05:40 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
6+ hours in the garage this weekend...DIY...

Hi all,

Spent a good 6+ hours in the garage this weekend. It's nothing to rant about just the typical (oil change, atf drain, front diff drain, transfer drain). Yes, I am slow + newbie, thus I took my time.

Wanted to thank Wayne for the wood panel DIY ramp. It's really easy and much faster getting on it than using my jack stands. It's sturdy as hell.

The oil change was a breeze and the atf drain is pretty easy as well. It was the first time doing the front differential and because the car was only jacked up 3 or 4 inches off the ground, I didn't have much clearance. But the front diff was doable and I was able to torque everything back to spec.

The transfer case was the tough one. With limited clearance (I also avoid jacking the car high due to safety), it took me a while to find the Transfer drain/fill plug. Drain plug requires no socket. Just a 1/2 inch ratchet.

Once again, due to lack of clearance, I didn't have enough room to use breaker bar and I ended up twisting/turning my body and using the foot to kick the ratchet lose.
I was able to torque the drain plug and torque all the plugs except the transfer case fill plug (no room). Just had to manually tighten it. I also made a big mistake by pulling out the transfer drain plug a bit too fast. Then without putting any of the drain plugs back in, I use the hydralic jack and lifted the rear to even the draining process.

One thing is I don't see is a gasket/washer for the Transfer drain plug. I bought a gasket for it but I don't think it actually uses one. The manual calls for RV silicone and that's what I apply on the thread.

In any case, I want to thank "bythabay" again for all his DIY. It made my life that much easier and I must have saved a few hundred bucks in labor.

I used Mobile 1 Synthetic Oil, Matic J+S for the ATF, Mobile 1 75w90 for the front diff and Matic D for the Transfer case.

Last edited by mikeee2; 05-26-2009 at 05:46 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:34 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Nice!

I gotta do the same thing ot my G but i currently have another project occupying the garage.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:41 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
lol that 4th pic looks like ur car took a dump

Old 05-26-2009, 09:27 PM
Originally Posted by mx22o
lol that 4th pic looks like ur car took a dump
Haha...well next time I will pull the plug slowly and use the longer oil pan container. I have a round one and a rectangular container. Unlike the oil drain plug, the transfer drain plug (not sure if it's the angle), it just gushes out

Old 05-26-2009, 11:42 PM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Good job taking the time to do it yourself and know it was done right. Just did my diff oil last weekend.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:55 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Nice Bobby, great job on the DIY maintenance.

Glad the wood ramps worked well for you, I have always found them the easiest. I always have my set handy.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:16 AM
Originally Posted by GEE35X
Nice Bobby, great job on the DIY maintenance.

Glad the wood ramps worked well for you, I have always found them the easiest. I always have my set handy.
Thanks Wayne. Yeah, the wood ramp was easy to roll onto. The jack stands I usually have to spend a good 20 minutes or more finding the jack points.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:37 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I love those wood ramps. I made mine with 7 steps so it gives me tons of clearance. I found that if you drop the rear end, another quart of tranny fluid will drain out. It normally takes about 3 quarts on a drain and fill. This last time I got 4 so I was happy.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:22 AM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Looks like you had a satisfying day.

There are only 5 things that i installed on my car (roof spoiler, clear sides,grounding kit, hid kit, led's) which were all really easy and stuff any idiot could do but i was proud as hell i did them. lol.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:46 AM
Originally Posted by TheTick
I love those wood ramps. I made mine with 7 steps so it gives me tons of clearance. I found that if you drop the rear end, another quart of tranny fluid will drain out. It normally takes about 3 quarts on a drain and fill. This last time I got 4 so I was happy.
Wow 7 steps

Any pics?

Old 05-27-2009, 08:29 AM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
Good job on doing it yourself.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:46 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Be careful kicking rachets and breaker bars. That is a quick way to either round off a nut/bolt or possibly shear/bend it.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by DaveB
Be careful kicking rachets and breaker bars. That is a quick way to either round off a nut/bolt or possibly shear/bend it.
Thanks for the tip. I wasn't kicking it from a distance. I had the rachet snugged in and then I put my foot on the handle and push on it.

P.S. DaveB, did you replace your Avon's yet? I know you had said once the Avon's wear out you will be getting the non-directional tires. Just wondering which brand you are going with.

Last edited by mikeee2; 05-27-2009 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:49 PM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
looks good mike, i read your thread last night and it reminded me i still needed to get my front and rear diff done.

Why no rear diff? You didn't mention it.

How many liters did you end up using? I just picked up 3 bottles of mobil 1. still up in the air about the transfer case.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by TurTLe*
looks good mike, i read your thread last night and it reminded me i still needed to get my front and rear diff done.

Why no rear diff? You didn't mention it.

How many liters did you end up using? I just picked up 3 bottles of mobil 1. still up in the air about the transfer case.
I did the rear diff last month.

That's what I bought as well. 3 bottles of mobile 1 gear oil (about 1.5qt for the rear and 1 qt for the front). I thought you wanted to get the Red Line. The rear left alot of gunk on the drain plug. The front is not nearly as dirty as the rear.

As for the transfer case, if you want to torque everything to spec then jack the car higher off the ground otherwise you won't have room to use the torque wrench. The transfer case is one tough cookie. Not sure if I want to do it myself next time. Then again, I won't need to look at it probably for another 2 or 3 yrs. I only put about 6,000 miles a year.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 6+ hours in the garage this weekend...DIY...