Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Oil Consumption cause?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 04:35 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
not exactly tru libra. dont knock on the dealer in general. maybe the dealers nearby u are POSs, but i know where I, as an infiniti tech, work....we take care and cover all TSBs, recalls, campaigns and whatnot for our vehicles...under warranty and sometimes just outside of warranty. the shortblock car i just finished was under extended warranty cuz it had almost 80k on it. so everything you hear on forums...esp nico....arent exactly true....everyone makes it seem so much worse than what it really is and they even dont understand that if there IS a tsb for the car, it is within a year range or VIN range so not EVERY car is covered. capiche?

and concerning the oil consumption issue and what point im tryin to prove. there is this one lil rich bitch kid in a coupe 6mt that is obviously a reg on misc forums and knows well about this tsb cuz he brought it up about his car....he'll bring his car in to say he has to add oil to it, yet he wont go by the factory dealer recommended oil service intervals in which we need to go by to record and measure the amount of oil useage there is.which is 1000 miles, but he will make it like 1500 or so...which voids the whole oil consumption test.......all just to get a free motor cuz there is a known......not common....problem with the early VQ motors. ya dig?

Last edited by the_sedan; 09-20-2009 at 04:42 PM. Reason: more info ***
Old 09-20-2009, 04:41 PM
Premier Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow ^^^ It just hurt my head to read that.

You need to learn better grammar.

And most you read on the forums is true, not false. Dealers most of the time know less than we do.

Old 09-20-2009, 04:52 PM
my grammar is fine. it just slips a little when i have to type a story. and again, i know there are dealers that are crappy. not denying that. but where I work......we end up doing more than what is needed to satisfy the customers. maybe thats why we have customers from all the states around SC come by because their local dealers are dimwits. its customers like him that fukk it up though.

Old 09-20-2009, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by G35_TX
Incorrect. The problem is due to a change in the rings. It is normal for the VQ to have oil in it's plenum. The 03-04 Also had this.
After 2k miles to have ALOT of carbon build up on the intake valves is NOT normal for any engine. The carbon is from oil. Sucking in that amount of oil is not normal.

Old 09-20-2009, 05:48 PM
Premier Member

Again, having oil in the intake gallery, is NORMAL on the VQ. It has been for years. Get over it.

Old 09-20-2009, 05:57 PM
yes, you will have oil film in the intake...ive seen a small amount in every intake i have taken off but you shouldnt have pools of any sort. that my friend would be abnormal.

Old 09-20-2009, 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by the_coupe
yes, you will have oil film in the intake...ive seen a small amount in every intake i have taken off but you shouldnt have pools of any sort. that my friend would be abnormal.
My point exactly!

Old 09-20-2009, 06:43 PM
Premier Member

Negative. I have taken off a dozen of the VQ intake manifolds and sorry, but all of them had a pool of oil in the center area of the intake. Again, it is NORMAL on the VQ.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:47 PM
If it is pooling substantial oil in the center of the intake then it is burning that substantial oil when it goes into the engine. While this may be 'normal' for a VQ, it is not normal for a mass produced vehicle. There are plenty of cars that do not have this problem. And yes it is a problem. I am not arguing that the rings do not play a roll. However, I do know from experience that the VQ engine when driven at high rpm's will consume more oil. Much of it through the intake.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:02 PM
Yea maybe The Coupe, they don't even return my phone calls, I even sent corporate an email and never got a response, so I'm a little bit up **** creek if something does go wrong, or should just storm into the dealer asking why no return calls and such. I know all dealers don't suck, I never worked for one I do however work in an independent shop, but have no desire to investigate internally untill my warrenty is up in jan 10, haven't really burned any oil sense my last oil change and am about 700 in on my new oil change. I really don't want to have an engine put in or put one in because I do love this car and hate being without it , I really want to get to the bottom of what really causes this to happen from start to finish, I see so many possible causes but no putting the finger one the 100%, it's been happening long before I bought my G and would really think someone would have it down to a science by now, I would like to prevent this before it happens if it's not already in the works ya know.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:28 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by nsyr
If it is pooling substantial oil in the center of the intake then it is burning that substantial oil when it goes into the engine. While this may be 'normal' for a VQ, it is not normal for a mass produced vehicle. There are plenty of cars that do not have this problem. And yes it is a problem. I am not arguing that the rings do not play a roll. However, I do know from experience that the VQ engine when driven at high rpm's will consume more oil. Much of it through the intake.

Okay man, sorry but some of us have been here way longer and already know what is normal and not for this car. My 05 G35 and 04 G35 had a small pool of oil but never burned any oil period. It is NORMAL for the intake system to have oil vapors go back into the intake system. It is enough to where it can collect oil in the intake tracks, especially the way the VQ intake manifold is designed. This is NOT the problem the VQ REVUP's had and that was with the RINGS failing.

My car was tracked, it stayed at 7000k rpms a lot! It never used ANY OIL.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:52 PM
it is the rings as the issue libra. and the pcv system does help in this by relieve the crankcase of pressure so oil and vapors can build up in the intake. im just sayin from MY personal experience i have yet to see a plenum with anything but an oily film buildup. if the dealer is giving you a run-around bring it to their attention if you REALLY have the problem. you will have to bring it in for an oil service and they will tell you to come within 1000miles. do that and they will measure the amount of oil in the engine when they drain it. this is how we do in the dealership. if its low, we put a shortblock in it. butttt in another case you can have an oil consumption issue if your pcv system is blocked up with sludge. replacing the valve covers if they have buildup inside and checking the hose that connects to the VC's has solved this issue before but if all is well and clean there.......look towards a motor. if your local dealer sucks that bad and WONT cooperate, go to the next closest one....i work in upstate sc and i have customers from nc, ga, tn, and even fl.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:08 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
I have an 05' with 84K on it. It uses about 1/2 qt in 7500 miles. I drive it very hard several times a year. On the Raging Bull Stampede, we do 780 miles in three days. It uses about a 1/16 of a qt in that distance. We run them hard. If it were the exhaust timing, I would be adding oil by the time it was over.

The oil pooling in the intake plenum is normal. I comes from the PCV system as a vapor and when it hits the cool air of the intake, it condenses back to a liquid. It pools because the VQ has a weird intake. Most engines have an intake that has a downward slant from throttle body to intake valve. The VQ has a wormy path to travel. You won't find oil in the manifold of a Chevy small block because there is no where for it to pool. It gets the same vapor and liquid as the VQ, but it shoots straight down to the intake valve with no where to pool.

I have changed my manifold to the MREV2 and then I added the 5/16" spacer and each time there was oil in there, but it was less than a table spoon.

Old 09-20-2009, 10:05 PM
well there will be oil usage if you go way past the due mileage for your oil service. ive seen people go 12-15k miles before......oil is def low, but still there. lol

Old 09-20-2009, 11:09 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
so definitely the rings?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Oil Consumption cause?