Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Oil Consumption cause?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 07:50 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
i guess my dealer is really good..lol

probably because:
Competition Infiniti is the #1 volume Infiniti dealer in the Country,
based on Infiniti National Sales Leaders Report.
and you can't say a car with x amount of miles shouldn't consume any oil, there are a lot of factors that effect it, tolerances in the motor, the way the car was broken in, how the car is drivin, possibly the type of oil..idk about that though

my celica gt-s consumed an inconsistant amount of oil sometime like a quart per 1000 miles sometimes less, my RSX which i bought new with 3 miles on it, i didnt really break it in, had it at 8000 rpms before it hit 5 miles and it drank a quart every 1000 miles, but i made a poll on clubrsx and people who broke the car in gently were also burning some oil so idk

Old 09-23-2009, 08:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Right

Old 10-12-2009, 09:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well they said I passed the oc test and to keep an eye on my oil level, so I asked the tech who did my oc testing what causes the oc and he said could be the rings, but he said they used to replace the short block only but then most would have problems still with oc so they just started doing long block, said problem could be in the heads, So then he asks the question do I beat on my car and of course I said no which I really don't, then he says if I really want the new engine to beat the hell out of it. said my power train warranty out lasts the 6 year warranty, so after the warranty is up on the 6 year part I still have 20k to go so I hope if anything happens it does it before 20k more.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:55 PM
yeah i romped on my car and it used a bunch of oil..lol

but they are dragging their feet a bit on the engine..now they are telling me they have to tear down the motor to prove it needs a new one..fail

Old 10-12-2009, 10:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i had the OC test done to my car and they said it passed fine. but is about 1/2 qt in about 1000 miles ok? (i am a very "sprited" driver.)

Old 10-12-2009, 11:04 PM
yeah its fine..just keep an eye on it, how low is that on the dipstick? mine seems to go halfway down every 1000 miles or so and the dealer said that was no good, they said it was 29mm low after 2400 miles i think

my rsx used 1 quart per 1000 miles for 70000 miles and it seemed fine when i traded it in..beat the living **** out of that car from 3 miles on..broke lots of stuff, but not the engine..lol

Old 10-13-2009, 11:07 PM
Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts
Do you guys think that my catback Fast Intentions exhaust and JWT popcharger can cause my 04 automatic to consume 3qts of oil per 1000miles? Thats what the dealer is saying which i believe is bull**** and they denied my warranty because of those mods. They have not provided me with any proof that my mods have caused the problem after I repeatedly asked.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:19 AM
3 quarts wow..thats serious

throw the magnuson-moss act at them or try a different dealer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act

Old 10-14-2009, 12:35 AM
Originally Posted by 00gts6speed
3 quarts wow..thats serious

throw the magnuson-moss act at them or try a different dealer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act
Yea its the worst case that i have ever heard of.

I have tried everything you can imagine but nothing worked. Car is flagged in the system so other dealerships cant do anything because Nissan USA already made the decision. They laughed in my face when i told them about the Magnuson-Moss act.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:40 AM
so like you have to add a quart after every tank of gas basically? is it really that bad? are you leaving something out? the car is under warranty right?

Old 10-14-2009, 01:33 AM
so like you have to add a quart after every tank of gas basically? is it really that bad? are you leaving something out? the car is under warranty right?
I have added 2 qts every other week and i have been doing this for the past 2 months. It really is that bad. The car is still under the powertrain warranty until Feb 2010. Dealership is assuming its the heads or pistons that are causing the problem but cannot confirm it because they havent tore the engine apart to inspect it. They then said that my exhaust system could have caused backpressure and pushed certain materials back up into the motor causing the internal failure which is physically impossible for just a catback system. From what i know, the problem with is mainly with the piston rings. I think the material the rings are made out of deteriorate pretty quickly which leads to the OC problem. No proof, but that is what im assuming from doing some research.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:42 AM
maybe trade it in

that exhaust back pressure thing is pretty stupid...how many dealers have you actually tried?

Old 10-14-2009, 12:39 PM
maybe trade it in

that exhaust back pressure thing is pretty stupid...how many dealers have you actually tried?
I cant afford to trade it in because they wont even give me anything near 20k for it.

Only went to 1 dealer. Called other dealers and they said they couldnt do anything because the car is already in the system and it says the car has mods and Nissan already made the decision.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:08 PM
Received 136 Likes on 62 Posts
I know a decent amount is burnt up through the intake. After installing my catchcan I noticed about 1/5 a qt in the cup each time and emptied it twice between oil changes.

I do drive quite aggressively at times so I understand more oil will be used. I just emptied the oil back into the oil fill, oil that would have otherwise been burned.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:58 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
I would talk to a lawyer. FI exhaust will REDUCE backpressure in anything. See what you can do with that.

Intake/cat-back exhaust are never going to cause that much oil consumption. But, you'll have to prove your side.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Oil Consumption cause?