Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Oil Consumption cause?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 12:31 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
oil consumption is almost always due to rings

Old 09-21-2009, 07:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I spoke to the service adviser today at the dealer, I left him a more detailed message, was polite and all, just stated I have a problem with my car and it has to do with oil consuming and making ticking/clicking noise that I have not heard from any other G's that I have ever worked on. so he called me back, now I am going in to start my Oc testing and stuff tomorrow, I did state I was a tech and stuff, wasn't cocky about it, but he went into tesbs and I said I read up on the one about oil consumption, I have a printout from our online software at the shop my oil was 1/4 inch from the mark and it's only been 700 miles now so there is something going on, It took 2000 miles for it to happen last time, I may be imagining things but feels like I have lost some power and the my gas mileage is not good. I don't drive it hard either. so with that off to the dealer.

Old 09-22-2009, 01:16 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Good luck with the OC test.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:30 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
im taking my car in for a consumption test tomorrow, i bought the car from them about a month ago, logged 2300 miles and the oil went from H(or is it F) to just under L, now I'm not sure how much oil the line on the dipstick represents, if it was 1 quart in 2000 miles I don't consider that a huge deal, if it was 2 quarts that is a bit more serious, I saw some guy saying he thought his dipstick was 2 quarts but everyone else thought it was one so im not sure what that means exactly. So we'll see if infiniti thinks its worth a new motor, i don't really care either way, my rsx consumed like a quart every 1-2 from 3 to 70000 miles as did myu celica GT-S, maybe its my driving style or just all the cars I like are oil furnaces..lol

one question though, should I refill the oil before i take it in or should I let infiniti see how low the level has gone on the oil they gave me, im sort of concerned that they will not be happy that i let it go under the low level. idk it would be nice to get a fresh engine in 69k car..lol, although i don't really trust dealers to do stuff like that

Old 09-22-2009, 01:04 PM
Canada, eh?

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by the_coupe
all just to get a free motor cuz there is a known......not common....problem with the early VQ motors. ya dig?
You probably don't care, but you just blew all creditability you had from me with that sentence.

Oil consumptions on rev up engines, is VERY common. For example, I have two friends and between the two of them they have had 5 motors and one of them finally got rid of the car because of it and his 3rd motor was consuming oil too. There is even a 03 or 04 G that I used to know and he'd burn over 2 qts every 3k miles. You claim dealers know more than we do...well you just proved yourself wrong.

Old 09-22-2009, 01:07 PM
well my 04 is buring oil

Old 09-22-2009, 01:49 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
It would be interesting to see what % of Gs with the revup engine have been diagnosed with the OC problem.
I'm not so sure that it's all that common.
I tend to think if it was there would need to be a full recall or at least Nissan would have a lawsuit on there hands.
I guess it depends on your definition of common.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:08 PM
its pretty common, there is a poll if u look around, most people probably just change their oil every 3k and dont even realize you only have 2 or 3 quarts left

Old 09-22-2009, 04:25 PM
Canada, eh?

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by irishsig
It would be interesting to see what % of Gs with the revup engine have been diagnosed with the OC problem.
I'm not so sure that it's all that common.
I tend to think if it was there would need to be a full recall or at least Nissan would have a lawsuit on there hands.
I guess it depends on your definition of common.
They can't recall it because it doesn't affect all rev ups and since they don't know which ones it will or will not affect I doubt there can be a recall. That or maybe the amount of people it does affect is under a certain percentage where a recall is not necessary.

There is no reason to file a law suit against them if they are fixing the problem on a case by case basis.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:52 AM
so im getting a new motor..lol

according to the dealer they changed the oil 2457 miles ago(just before i bought it) and not its 29mm low. according to the chart for rev upoil consumption anything over 13mm from 2100-2500 miles is no good so... new engine ftw

Old 09-23-2009, 10:49 AM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by OG35Driver
It is my understanding that the issue is with the piston rings, but not 100% sure...
Originally Posted by G35_TX
Incorrect. The problem is due to a change in the rings. It is normal for the VQ to have oil in it's plenum. The 03-04 Also had this.
Originally Posted by Tollboothwilley
oil consumption is almost always due to rings
Originally Posted by Deezflip
so definitely the rings?
again....so definitely the piston rings?? is this verified already?

No offense or anything...but people are jumping off the topic here. It's not about recalls, or OC testing, warranties, replacing engines, or whatever. There're plenty of existing threads for that already....we need to find out the CAUSE of the OC, for people that may be out of warranty and may want to tackle this fix themselves.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:23 AM
if it isn't the piston rings then its probably not a problem worth fixing if you are out of warranty(or its a leak), personally if I was out of warranty i would just pour a quart of oil in there every so often and wait until it started blowing smoke or something.

i watched my rsx drink ~1 quart every 1000-1500 miles for 70000 miles, it never had a problem, got decent mpg, trapped at 99.5mph with i/e/rh/street tuned kpro, had compression within spec(although one cylinder was a bit lower then the rest..that could be where the oil went..lol), i just chalked it up to the high reving and using the run it hard break in method. If the G wasn't in warranty i would have just topped it off, but if i can get a new engine then why not..lol. but the G also is not blowing smoke and its getting 18-19 around town 24-25 hwy which from what i hear is pretty normal for g's

Old 09-23-2009, 07:23 PM
Well went to the dealer yesterday for the OC test, they said I was 1/3 quart low, however many milimeters that would be, wander if that even indicates a problem, I know I went lest then 1000 miles and put the right amount in when I changed the oil, they said Im not alowed to check to oil level or the oc test will be vioded and have to start all over, well how the hell am I suposed to know if they overfilled it just to say that when I go back to the dealr that my engine is fine, and how would they know if I check it or not, I didnt see any lock or anything on my dipstick, so if it runs out of oil and my engine explodes then what....

Old 09-23-2009, 07:29 PM
the tsb specifies that they need to fill it exactly to the full line, and they probably have to mark it or something

1/3 qt in 1000 miles isnt bad

Old 09-23-2009, 07:43 PM
Well I think an engine with 37k shouldn't have any oil consumption ya know, I asked them how many times I will have to go back and how long it will take until they come to some kind of diagnosis, so the guy goes into this thing well you have to build some history with use before we contact infiniti about the engine, I had told them about how I read up on the tsb so there assuming I'm just in this for an engine, but I just want to make sure nothing is going to blow before my warranty is up.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Oil Consumption cause?