Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

STILLEN STAGE 2 OR VORTECH??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 11:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
STILLEN STAGE 2 OR VORTECH??

i am currently shopping for a supercharger for my g35 automatic. i am trying to see what everyone thinks about theirs, but now i would like some imput on what you guys think? which one is the best for overall reliability, and power. plus i live here in the san francisco bay area, are there any places here that are great for installing and tuning?

Old 08-04-2004, 03:17 PM
Re: STILLEN STAGE 2 OR VORTECH??

The Stillen blower is LEGAL, makes more torque, has more low end power, more streetable. Not to mention that they have never blown a motor. And they offer the engine warranty. Can't go wrong with the Stillen unit.

Old 08-04-2004, 03:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if u dont mind the goofy *** hood.... stillen is good... i dont have personal experience with it but i would do stillen if it was me even tho i hate their hood that they use to clear the s/c

2004 Black on Black g coupe 6spd.... aluminum pedals, clear corners, z tube, and pop charger. soon to have 19" volk gt-c's and PIAA xtreme whites in the clearance and corners
Houston Texas

Old 08-04-2004, 07:57 PM

if you are comfortable running without a warranty (and you should be if you study and understand the variables of engine tuning) the vortech (or even ATI, although you do need more than they sell with their kit) will be cheaper, make as much or more power and be just as reliable.

As with any forced induction, make sure you install a wideband oxygen sensor and air fuel meter. Also desirable on this engine is an automatic timing retard device (such as J&S safeguard), an engine monitor device (such as AEM's), oil temperature & pressure guage, boost guage.

Don't skimp on the above extra, they will tell you in advance if you are having any problems. Take your time, study forced induction, read the my350z forums and learn from their lessons. remember 11-12 to one A/F ratio is where you want to be. Dyno tuning is a MUST, and do not use the tailpipe oxygen sensor method, it is erratic.

Good luck. when I get 3000 dollars extra I am going the ATI route as I am a poor man. Before then I will have installed a wideband, boost, and other instrumentation with outputs to an AEM or similar engine management program. With that information I will be able to feel confident in the engine tuning.

Better Life thru Chemistry
Black on Black 03.5 Sedan 6MT - Goodyear F1 GS-D3's 225/55/17, Custom Intake Tube, '03 "Z" Suspension, Magnaflow resonator, 6 Wire 4 Guage Grounding Kit

Old 08-04-2004, 08:39 PM

My observations on FI are that I personally prefer the power curve that Stillen supplies. I would have to get more comfortable with the hood, although the entire hood replacement option looks fine in pictures to me. I wouldn't hack my hood for the smaller piece. My preference.

Otherwise, with any of these systems, I would not change anything in the car except for the exhaust. I wouldn't mess with a plenum or change the cats ( again my preference).

I would make sure that the tuning is done correctly. How this is done in the field (i.e., the greater here United States) is beyond me when TS has no dealers, and neither do the SC providers.

Also, the fact that there's no way that I've seen to control boost given variable ambient conditions that is integrated into these systems really would have me worried.

Bottom line for me is that I would go with Stillen because it's warranteed for a period of time. Except for the hood (which may not be that bad in the end) I would have a hard time justifying going with another provider without a warranty. Besides, for me, I prefer a more instant on torque driving style. I rarely go to redline, it's not needed at all on the street, imo.

Old 08-05-2004, 01:06 PM

On the Stillen blower you don't have to buy any extra equipment, aside from the hood. The unit comes with a piggy back computer to control fuel and timing. There is absolutley no tuning required! It is all plug an play! That means you save money by not having to by a fuel/timing controller, guages, wideband O2 sensor, or spend many hours and money on tuning by some shop. Just install it and go have fun! No worries if your AF ratios are ok or if your gonna blow the motor. Simple setup with a 3-year engine warranty. Whats not to like?

Old 08-05-2004, 01:07 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you going to go FI... you should defenetly invest money in a good headers ... cats... Y pipe... exhaust as well as intake. FI like free flowing air space, so the more room you give it the better it will be. Dont go too insance on diameter of pipe, but you should defenetly not stay with stock. Stock is good for NA not FI.

Some people prefer Roots type or Centrefugal blowers Roots type give you more torque as soon as you stomp on it. With vortech ... you need time for it to build boost.

At any rate... defently get something with intercooler or like stillen has the air to water cooling.

My idea would be is to get the hood scoop put on it so that additional air can coming through it and blow directly on the SC... this way it can cool the actual SC and help with heat build up.

Another thing would also be to get an aluminum radiator...IF that make one for the G35 that is. G35 front end is not the best for having a fround mount intercooler since the bumper blocks most of the air coming in. I would get a different bumper with a larger opening as well.

Remember the more lil things you get ... the longer your car will last.

2003 G35C -soon to be moded-
2001 BB6 -moded-

TRACK TIME ... THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE!

Old 08-10-2004, 01:16 AM

hey does the stillen sc make a sound or spool up like the vortec and ati. i love that sound. and does it have a bov??

Old 08-10-2004, 02:02 AM

Stillen sounds ery sweet when it spools up.. like a baby leer jet!

Get the stage 3 pulley (20 minutes change out) for an add'l $80. You can switch it at the track (or before heading into the dealership).

'03.5 Sedan 5a: BS/G, Prem, Aero/Body, Sport, Nav
Click for MODS - www.teamtransport.org

Old 08-10-2004, 02:07 AM

cool. does anyone have a sound clip??

Old 08-11-2004, 11:13 AM

but the downside of the Stillen is that it will tear an engine up way quicker than a centrifugal blower because the boost is always on full bore - even when you're just cruising around town, so it's wearing on your engine when a Vortech would be taking it easy... just an FYI

2003.5 BS coupe 5AT
Clear Corners, Alum. Pedals, Pro-1 Intake, Helix Test Pipes, UR Pulley, Grounding Kit, CF Engine Cover, GReddy EVO II Exhaust, Kinetix Plenum

Old 08-11-2004, 12:42 PM

Actually, the boost is not always on. My friend has a saleen s281 with a similar roots type supercharger, and the boost is applied in proportion to how hard you stand on the throttle.

Old 08-11-2004, 03:07 PM

that is why I like the vortech and ATI, they only show their forms in high rpm operation. If you keep it at less than 3 grand or so, you see very little difference from stock form. Plus they are better for straight line racing. on a road course you will be limited to a fairly tight rpm band to ensure linear throttle response (absolutely critical for heel toe shifting). that is a minor drawback. you can learn to run like that pretty easily.

stillen is good on a car that will never see redline or on a car that likes stop light to stop light races.

Better Life thru Chemistry
Black on Black 03.5 Sedan 6MT - Goodyear F1 GS-D3's 225/55/17, Custom Intake Tube, '03 "Z" Suspension, Magnaflow resonator, 6 Wire 4 Guage Grounding Kit