Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

SPEC Single Mass Steel Flywheel or LUK Dual Mass Flywheel?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2010 | 05:08 PM
|
SPEC Single Mass Steel Flywheel or LUK Dual Mass Flywheel?

Hello everyone,

After lots of searching and reading of various posts on single mass vs dual mass flywheels, engine clatter, and performance...I've come down to these 2 flywheels. I'm in need of replacing a clutch, but it seems that most of the debate/concern is in replacing the flywheel. From my research it appears as though most of the clutch kits out there will work for my bone stock 2004 G35 6MT Coupe. I'm not really looking for a performance upgrade, but I don't want a downgrade either. If there are some performance perks without costing me a whole bunch of money, then all the better. Unfortunately, due to where I've been residing there aren't many G's around. I don't even know what the engine clatter sounds like on other G's. I've watched the videos, but its not quite the same. I've been getting some clatter when the clutch is depressed and while engaged if the G hasn't been warmed up yet. For the record, this is going to be the first clutch and flywheel change for my G and I just hit 120,000 miles. Not bad for a stock clutch/flywheel.

Anyway, I tried to rule out the DMF due to it being way to expensive so I focused on the SMF. SPEC-01 has been really informative about his posts and I'm really leaning towards the Single Mass Flywheel from SPEC that weighs in at 27lbs, which is close to the stock weight of 31lbs. I figured this would help with the clatter that most G owners are experiencing due to lighter flywheel applications. This was until I stubbled across the LUK Dual Mass Flywheel. It's roughly 200 dollars more than the SPEC flywheel, but signifcantly cheaper compared to the $1000 price tag that I originally found it out to be. So my question is....which would be the better choice as far as performance, engine clatter, quality and durability? Stock would be the standard. Anything better than that would be a plus. Thanks in advance.

Tony

Old 01-01-2010 | 05:25 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
the chatter that people get really isn't all that bad IMO.

The JWT clutch/flywheel combo was a nice upgrade and was $750 (www.conceptzperformance.com).

I would do that again in a heartbeat.

Old 01-02-2010 | 03:05 PM
^that's a killer deal
i got the flywheel used for $400.

Old 01-03-2010 | 06:47 AM
Go pro-light. It's 12 or 13lbs; I forget which one. I had it on my boosted Z and freakin loved it. The clutch chatter wasn't loud at all. It was mainly noticable after a long day at the track but it wasn't that loud.

Old 01-03-2010 | 04:16 PM
|
Thanks for the posts thus far. I have looked at the JWT package and might opt for that combo. I just haven't jumped on it yet because I'm still considering the heavier flywheel option. But, I'm still curious about my original post of a LUK dual mass flywheel compared to the SPEC single mass steel flywheel. From the research I've conducted on this site, its seems as though when using the lighter flywheel the (MOI) is affected thus resulting in slower off the line starts. So, to me this would seem to be a downgrade from the original OEM clutch/flywheel performance standard. I would like to have the performance standard of the OEM at a minimum. Anything above that would be a plus. If the engine clatter from a single mass flywheel unit is not that noticeable, I can live with that. I just don't want to downgrade on the minimal OEM performance standard. Any more opinions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Old 01-03-2010 | 06:08 PM
A single mass flywheel will be noisier than stock, regardless of weight. The whole point of a dual mass is to absorbe vibration, in otherwords, stuff that makes noise.

The only thing I can see justifying a heavy single mass flywheel like the SPEC one would be extreme high horsepower where a lighter flywheel may overheat.

If noise and/or engagement, for any reason is a concern, just stay OEM and don't mess around. You'll be in for a huge disappointment otherwise.

Old 01-03-2010 | 11:47 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
lighter flywheel will rev faster...MOI might be a little slower but wasn't noticeable to me with the JWT combo. What was noticeable was the faster reving.

Old 01-04-2010 | 07:30 AM
^^ Right, so a heavy single mass flywheel (pretty much stock weight) on NA applications is a huge bowl of pointless unless you like noisy gears .

Old 01-04-2010 | 08:26 AM
|
Thanks again for the replies. So actually there is no real advantage to go back to stock if I need to get a new clutch/flywheel anyway. Therefore whether it be the JWT combo or other clutch/flywheel combinations, its going to be an upgrade in performance and a significant savings in price.....with chatter (which is tolerable from person to person) being the only disadvantage. Does this sound correct?

Old 01-04-2010 | 08:45 AM
The JWT combo is very OEM-like in terms of engagement from what I heard. I'm sure you will be happy with this combo but honestly I it's pretty much the same as OEM with slightly stiffer springs.

Keep in mind, a light flywheel is going to be more difficult to engage, especially with more aggressive clutches. I have a competition clutch flywheel combo and it's extremely noisy and difficult to engage in traffic. People standing outside of my car think something is wrong, and most people cannot engage it smoothly without bucking or stalling. It took me several months to 'get used' to it, and it's still a pain in the ***.

But I need the extra grabbing power...you don't, so stick with JWT or OEM if you want stock like feel on a budget.

Old 01-04-2010 | 11:43 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
You won't be disappointed with the JWT, its stiffer and grips harder than stock. Not noisy like other single mass clutches

Old 01-04-2010 | 01:55 PM
i also have the jwt clutch/flywheel combo. cant go wrong, its just a tad noisy on hot days. its really nothing too bothersome to be honest

Old 01-04-2010 | 07:03 PM
I think the ACT single mass worked perfectly fine. I used that flywheel with the OEM clutch and pressure place and had no problems. The car rev'ed faster, response was increased, boost kicked in faster; all pros' no cons'. I was also 423bhp. I'm not really sure if that makes a difference but that combo in my Z was awesome. It didn’t chatter or was loud at all.

Old 01-05-2010 | 06:57 AM
|
InShAllAh: I hope I spelled that right. Actually one of the vendors is offering the Exedy Clutch kit with the Act Streetlite Flywheel for a very good price. The flywheel is 16.9 lbs. I don't know much about this combo and can't really research just yet since I'm at work, but is this the flywheel you have? And to whomever has experience with this Exedy/Act combo or any other opinions please feel free to post. I appreciate the help. Thanks again.

Old 01-05-2010 | 05:35 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
dunno if you had seen this in the marketplace, but this seems like a good price

https://g35driver.com/forums/drivetr...0-shipped.html

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SPEC Single Mass Steel Flywheel or LUK Dual Mass Flywheel?