Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

300 hp NA V35??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 01:16 AM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
They CAN be. That's the key word.

What the hell is the point to getting a reading if it off by 40hp. For tuning purposes yes fine, but then you get people thinking their car makes 300 hp when it's making 260. If you using it as something to gauge a an engine mod or a tune then that's great, make up whatever numbers you want just remember, that's not the real power your car has.

I stand by my statement about roller dynos over a hub.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:36 AM
rarejdm.com

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Lol... my car read almost exactly 40hp higher at Church's then it did at Technosquare. While Church does a great job tuning, I'd have to agree that their dyno is pretty generous.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually, you can get a very good increase in power with a reputable performance chip upgrade.

Just beware that there are many "fake" performance chips out there, so its important to get a "real" performance chip.

The following chip is one of those "REAL" performance chips that actually works. Can't beat it for the price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/REAL-...Q5fAccessories

Will definitely get you close to the 300hp mark and at the same time get you almost 75mpg. Wow!

Old 01-21-2010, 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by 4DGS
I trust a roller dyno, majority of cars dyno'd are done on them. Dynapacks have been proven to be off in the past.

That's just my opinion, not really to say they are a lesser quality. If you want to get high reads, dynapack ftw. If you want a legit reading of what your car is actually putting to the ground. You need something on rollers.

Hyunkoon; you would think that, but it really doesn't matter how fast the hub spins, it's how fast the wheels turn on a surface.

Again IMHO
And what exactly does "legit" mean?

Really?

Honestly, what exactly does 350rwhp mean, or 400rwhp? Its just a friggin' number to be used for comparitive purposes only.

The only real value in a dyno reading is a relative one. In otherwords, you take a baseline, make a change, and see what effect that change had on the car. And even then, there can be variances as well. Whether its reading 50hp low, or 50hp high, who gives a flying hoot. The only people who really care about "numbers" are those who want to brag or add it to their colorful little signatures like me!

Old 01-21-2010, 01:04 PM
ZOMG da Interwebs.

Legit is obviously a short form of the word "legitimate" meaning to be real.

Read my post above Zack's I already said what I think about using baseline dynos and seeing an increase. But what's the point of bragging rights if your car doesn't make that kinda power? Should I go get my car dyno'd on the highest reading dyno in town saying 310hp and post that in my signature? No because that's not a real number.

That's all I'm sayin', not trying to be sarcastic in that post either.

And I haven't said anything about the amount of power gained by a tune.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:53 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
ZOMG da Interwebs.

Legit is obviously a short form of the word "legitimate" meaning to be real.

Read my post above Zack's I already said what I think about using baseline dynos and seeing an increase. But what's the point of bragging rights if your car doesn't make that kinda power? Should I go get my car dyno'd on the highest reading dyno in town saying 310hp and post that in my signature? No because that's not a real number.

That's all I'm sayin', not trying to be sarcastic in that post either.

And I haven't said anything about the amount of power gained by a tune.
Obviously you don't understand what dyno's are for. It is used for tuning purposes only. If it's inflated, deflated, or just seems right on to you is not of importance. You have to understand that your "legit dyno" is neither more accurate then the dynopack. Unless you calculate the whole dimensions of your car to strip away all the static variables then you might get close to how much you are putting to the wheels, but then there are still other variables to be aware of.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:00 PM
Obviously, I've stated that twice now.

IMHO Dynos are used for more than tuning. THAT IS TO ME. I actually want to know what kind of power the car makes, not just how much it made after I put on HFCs or an engine mod. I want an actual realistic number.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:16 PM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
Originally Posted by liche
Actually, you can get a very good increase in power with a reputable performance chip upgrade.

Just beware that there are many "fake" performance chips out there, so its important to get a "real" performance chip.

The following chip is one of those "REAL" performance chips that actually works. Can't beat it for the price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/REAL-...Q5fAccessories

Will definitely get you close to the 300hp mark and at the same time get you almost 75mpg. Wow!
I hope you are being sarcastic. If you are, you need to realize it doesn't come through in what you wrote and someone new to cars might think what you wrote was sincere. If you were being sincere, then everything you post on this forum has no merit whatsoever.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:17 PM
Obviously, I've stated that twice now.

IMHO Dynos are used for more than tuning. THAT IS TO ME. I actually want to know what kind of power the car makes, not just how much it made after I put on HFCs or an engine mod. I want an actual realistic number.
Again with these terms. Just what does "legit" or "realistic" actually mean? Both are subjective terms with no scientific definition whatsoever.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:18 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Sure, dyno's initially were created to be a "RULER" to measure HP/TQ output. They were then used for a much better purpose - tuning.

When you start by saying that roller dynos are legit and others are not, you make yourself look very ignorant. I've been on multiple roller dynos and a hub dyno. They can all vary extremely. Each is is calibrated differently and have the ability to adjust with corrections. To say that all dynopacks are the same isn't correct either. Just because Church's dyno reads so much higher than others doesn't mean that all dynopacks will read 40 HP higher.

You consider roller dynos legit only because you feel that you can measure your car vs others more accurately...but in the end the only way to do that is to measure cars based off the same dyno.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:22 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
IMHO, if someone is dynoing at 300hp at the wheels, they should take it to the 1/4 track and see what it can realisticly do (if they can get to one and drive decent). Ultimately, what you want is a faster car. If my car dipped into the 12s on the 1/4, I could care less if it showed 230 rwhp on whatever dyno.

And yes, I need to qualify that by stating with reasonable daily driven type modifications.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by liche
Again with these terms. Just what does "legit" or "realistic" actually mean? Both are subjective terms with no scientific definition whatsoever.
Are you actually asking the definition of two very common words?

Those terms refer to the opposite of fake, made up numbers.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:56 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have to agree with 4DGS, a dynojet artificially raises the HP output, a "legit" measurement is how many watts are transferred through the wheels to the ground, "wheel HP". Sure any dyno that can produce repeatable results is a valuable tool for tuning and the dynojet excels here. The problem is, like the guy here in this thread, some walk away thinking they are making 40 more HP than they are and will swear up and down that they are making 300 whp on an intake and a tune.

Wiki quote:
True / Effective horsepower (chassis dynamometer)

True horsepower (THP), Effective horsepower (EHP) and wheel horsepower (whp) are the brake horsepower converted to useful work. In the case of a road vehicle this is the power actually turned into forward motion as measured on a chassis dynamometer. Power available at the road is generally 10% to 20% less than the engine's actual bhp crankshaft rating due to vehicle related parasitic losses, much of which is due to the vehicle's rubber tires rather than true transmission losses. Aside from adding simple dyno parasitic drag, there are no additional power adding factors and power is corrected using appropriate atmospheric correction factors.[14]

For railway locomotives the terms drawbar horsepower or equivalent drawbar horsepower (EDHP) refer to the power available to haul a train. This is synonymous with the Effective horsepower.[15] This figure takes into account the horsepower needed to move the locomotive, which is not available for hauling the train. The rail horsepower is the power at the wheels of a locomotive, directly comparable to the wheel horsepower of a road vehicle.
[edit] Dynojet horsepower / DJHP (chassis dynamometer)

Dynojet horsepower is a marketing hp scale that was created to read higher than True / Effective horsepower.[16] They were successful in getting the magazines to accept the inflated numbers and are now the de facto standard for retail magazines. In the 100 djhp area, djhp is about 15% higher than True and in the 200 djhp, it's 18% to 20% higher.[14] Most chassis dyno results that are published by magazines are djhp, causing confusion, as there is True hp, djhp and "estimated djhp". Commonly, the wide range of power sometimes reported is due to the error of djhp vs "estimated djhp" vs. the actual, unmodified True hp. DJHP is not "RWP" or "wheel power", it has its own factored up hp scale. Dynojet hp is always an inertia loaded sweep test.

Front-wheel drive cars (provided a transverse engine layout is used) suffer slightly lower coastdown losses due to the absence of the beveled crown and pinion gears used to change the drive direction in the back axle of a RWD car.[17]

Old 01-25-2010, 08:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cosworth heads, plenum, cams, and brand x headers put out 360something on their engine dyno

Last edited by arsine; 01-25-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:31 AM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by scareyourpassenger
Yup here is a dyno from my wife's car. This shows before and after a tune using an emanage ultimate. I bring a guy down from new hampshire to Atlanta to tune twice a year for the s2000 Atlanta club.

She has a ztube, Stillen exhaust and that is it. The rest of the gains are in the tune.

fyi, I have a Stillen exhaust for sale in the FS section. It is a gen 1 but sounds more like a gen2 because the middle resonators were swapped out to ones that flow just as good but absorb more sound.

And she is pulling about 285whp???

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 300 hp NA V35??