Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Throttle Body Spacer or Vortec Cyclone

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2010 | 12:44 AM
Originally Posted by dofu
You're right, I don't know anything... I shouldn't be stating facts about this car and most of these bolt-ons at all...

Granted, I'm not as knowledgeable as some of the guys on here, but with this car, I've only gone through 3 exhausts, 3 suspensions, a couple test pipes, a set of HFCs, several different size plenum spacers, MREV with and without the spacers, several intakes, and plenty of other cars... not to mention all the parts I've been through with my last cars. And you know what? Ultimately, they are all the same.
you keep conveniently side-stepping the point I made twice... what does any of what you said quoted above have to do with you knowledge highlighted in blue in quote below?

Headers might give you a few horses, but they aren't worth the money or hassle installing unless you really need or want to squeeze out that one horsepower or so that bad.

The lower plenum is called an MREV, not uprev and it can benifit non revup motors as well, it just won't be making 15 extra lbs of torque to the wheels. The motor was originally coined an uprev which somehow changed to revup, but there is a company out there called UpRev that makes the Osiris.

For bolt on NA, I would suggest a spacer over the upper plenum as too big of an intake plenum can actually make you lose power.

As for the intake itself, the heat soak is not worth the "upgrade".

And I was talking about both the throttle body spacer and the Vortec Cyclone btw...

And to the OP, yes my last post was all sarcasm - don't do it. Neither are worth the time, let alone the money.

I don't care who says what is good, they're all full of sh*t unless they have real dyno numbers to back it up.

For the most part, I'd agree, but if you're on a budget, go for the HFC/test pipe. Otherwise, a tune is much more worth it. And another good mod to do without going boost is changing your final drive gear, and if you're auto, a valve body upgrade can be more worth the money.

The stock cat-back exhaust should be able to support up to about 300hp to the wheels without a problem, so if you're on a budget, that's one of the last things you want to think about. And no, your stock G with bolt-ons is putting down nowhere close to that.

If I could only have one mod, it would be a tune. If I couldn't afford the tune, I'd get a plenum spacer for power, and sway bars and struts so my car can actually use what power it already has more efficiently. And yes, I said struts, not springs.
the minor breather mods and basic suspension upgrades you've done on this and other cars are not something I'd be throwing out there to prove my knowledge... but clearly it's what you base your ability on to tell this guy what to do (particularly in bold blue above )

so all the way back to my initial point >>>
Originally Posted by OCG35
dofu the expert

a forum student that has all the answers

Old 04-13-2010 | 01:00 AM
My bad. I meant Mrev, it was the wrong wording. OOPS. Dofu, your right I'm not the most knowledgable person on this forum. But I know I've put the Invidia Gemini true dual exhaust , injen cai, kinetix manifold, a stage 3 clutch, lightened flywheel, and a ground wire kit, untuned, and I've pulled off on a new 370Z on the interstate without any issues. So obviously my "heatsoak" cai, and my incomplete exhaust, and non mrev complimented upper manifold are doing some good. I'm sure once I get a tune, it'll be even better. But no one on here asked for your smart *** comments. We were just trying to help the guy out. So next time you feel like making yourself look like a douche bag know it all. Stop and think about the post, and not what you think makes you look cool. Have a nice day to the rest of you who are truly trying to give this guy input. This is my last post on here I dont do E-drama.

Old 04-13-2010 | 02:26 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
To the OP...

There is a reason that you should SEARCH and read a lot. You will find that some people are very opposed to things that they don't have or have never tried. There are some people on here who have tried just about everything.

I hate the drama that comes up every time you post "throttle body spacer" or "intake" or anything that is not OEM seems to bring up controversy.

BOO.

Old 04-13-2010 | 02:59 PM
Red Card Crew
Premier Member
I built my first car, a 1968 Datsun 510, rebuilt it's motor. I've torn down a VE30DE V6 that's has 4 cams, 4 valve per cylinder and 3 timing changes. And varible timing on the intake cams. Numerous engine swaps, clutch jobs and innovated a BBK for the old maxima. I've worked on Mustangs, XR4TIs, GSRs, etc. etc.. etc.. too much to list.

And IMHO, dofu's opinion is for the most part, right on. Might be little mistakes but it's not much more than semantics. Not really worth the character assassination that's currently going on.

Last edited by Jeff92se; 04-13-2010 at 06:29 PM.
Old 04-13-2010 | 06:18 PM
you keep conveniently side-stepping the point I made twice... what does any of what you said quoted above have to do with you knowledge highlighted in blue in quote below?

the minor breather mods and basic suspension upgrades you've done on this and other cars are not something I'd be throwing out there to prove my knowledge... but clearly it's what you base your ability on to tell this guy what to do (particularly in bold blue above )

so all the way back to my initial point >>>
Yes... just because I only listed breather mods means that's all I have

I've pieced together transmission parts and custom gearing, and was about to convert the 5 speed to a 6 speed, and I've started building an NA motor to custom specs until I totalled the car and decided I did not want to spend that much money on a motor again. But I guess that doesn't qualify for jack either

Yea, I'm not a professional like Tony from Motordyne and plenty other guys on this forum. And yes, I can be wrong. But I know what I know from experience. And yes, some of us actually have the capacity to learn from that. You might not, but a lot of the rest of us do.

It's ok, I know why you're here with your panties in such a bunch. You were one of the original guys who were on here backing up the throttle body spacer, trying to prove it works when everyone worth listening to was saying it's worthless... with proof to back it up! You should just stick to those photo share and political threads from here on out because there are enough of us on here who know your words on anything technical is invalid.

https://g35driver.com/forums/intake-...y-spacers.html

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...dy-spacer.html

I can get more technical and explain why some parts do work, why some parts can work, and why/how other parts could work and get technical and talk theory on why parts like that should work, but the reality is it's a waste of money and doesn't do jack for this car.

But that's the last breath I'll give your ricer *ss in this thread. Thank you, have a nice day

Last edited by dofu; 04-13-2010 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-13-2010 | 06:49 PM
^^^ the mention I gave wasn't solely regarding TBS... but just to be clear - there are dynos and highly respected/qualified people that have the exact opposite finding of Tony... Shawn Church and DaveO both (on two separate occasions) have tested the same spacer... both reported gains... Shawn was the first to dyno it which is how I even found out about it... DaveO had some people dyno it at a dyno day... all had gains... the dynos have been posted (for all the "post proof" groupies - go find them yourself).

This isn't another lame TBS debate... it's merely advice to the OP to read cautiously the say all end all posts from supposed experts (such as yours).

As far as getting panties in a bunch - if you go back and read the order of posts - it's quite clear you got pissy. And it's also clear (from others posts, and not just in this thread) that I'm not the only one that noticed your "know-it-all" demeanor - and I'm not the only one that realizes you aren't entirely correct.

So if your are offended by the fact that some of us called you out - oh well.

Old 04-13-2010 | 06:53 PM
You should just stick to those photo share and political threads from here on out because there are enough of us on here who know your words on anything technical is invalid.
what is "technical" about this post?
Was I talking to you? Next time you want to spit some info, make sure you have your info correct first -

Headers might give you a few horses, but they aren't worth the money or hassle installing unless you really need or want to squeeze out that one horsepower or so that bad.

The lower plenum is called an MREV, not uprev and it can benifit non revup motors as well, it just won't be making 15 extra lbs of torque to the wheels. The motor was originally coined an uprev which somehow changed to revup, but there is a company out there called UpRev that makes the Osiris.

For bolt on NA, I would suggest a spacer over the upper plenum as too big of an intake plenum can actually make you lose power.

As for the intake itself, the heat soak is not worth the "upgrade".

And I was talking about both the throttle body spacer and the Vortec Cyclone btw...

And to the OP, yes my last post was all sarcasm - don't do it. Neither are worth the time, let alone the money.

I don't care who says what is good, they're all full of sh*t unless they have real dyno numbers to back it up.

For the most part, I'd agree, but if you're on a budget, go for the HFC/test pipe. Otherwise, a tune is much more worth it. And another good mod to do without going boost is changing your final drive gear, and if you're auto, a valve body upgrade can be more worth the money.

The stock cat-back exhaust should be able to support up to about 300hp to the wheels without a problem, so if you're on a budget, that's one of the last things you want to think about. And no, your stock G with bolt-ons is putting down nowhere close to that.

If I could only have one mod, it would be a tune. If I couldn't afford the tune, I'd get a plenum spacer for power, and sway bars and struts so my car can actually use what power it already has more efficiently. And yes, I said struts, not springs.
in fact, I haven't seen anything technical from you ever... other than weak references to other peoples findings.

Old 04-14-2010 | 01:02 PM
Red Card Crew
Premier Member
Wasn't the test that Tony from Motorydyne witnessed at church? The one that dyno'd xx hp and then removed the TB spacer and then redyno'd at the exact same xxhp.

I believe that was on your own car Mike and it was as Church's facility. (I'm not 100% on the facility location).

Old 04-14-2010 | 01:11 PM
what is "technical" about this post?

in fact, I haven't seen anything technical from you ever... other than weak references to other peoples findings.
Just because you have no right to talk about which part is good or not does not mean I have no right to present facts about the car and it's aftermarket support.

Go ahead and pick apart the grammar on my post or try to say I haven't presented any technical proof - it's not needed when I'm presenting facts that have been duplicated over and over again for years. Even if it's a finding I made, you don't have to believe me when I tell you headers are not worth the money. Go ahead and waste about a thousand dollars of your money on a worthless mod... do you really think I care?

Old 04-14-2010 | 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Wasn't the test that Tony from Motorydyne witnessed at church? The one that dyno'd xx hp and then removed the TB spacer and then redyno'd at the exact same xxhp.

I believe that was on your own car Mike and it was as Church's facility. (I'm not 100% on the facility location).
that was at Tony's old shop - and there was much more to it than your simple summary...

The other tests that were done on other cars were at Church's - and one of them at a dyno day with plenty of people there (I wasn't though)...

There are lots of people that have this spacer - they just dont bother to debate in the drama... and I'm not either - it's been beaten to death.

Old 04-14-2010 | 01:17 PM
Just because you have no right to talk about which part is good or not does not mean I have no right to present facts about the car and it's aftermarket support.

Go ahead and pick apart the grammar on my post or try to say I haven't presented any technical proof - it's not needed when I'm presenting facts that have been duplicated over and over again for years. Even if it's a finding I made, you don't have to believe me when I tell you headers are not worth the money. Go ahead and waste about a thousand dollars of your money on a worthless mod... do you really think I care?
have you done before and after with headers?... with cams they make gains - but I've already stated (with dyno's) that it isn't worth the cost... the difference between my findings and yours is = you get info off forums - I conclude them from trial and error.

Old 04-14-2010 | 01:33 PM
Red Card Crew
Premier Member
that was at Tony's old shop - and there was much more to it than your simple summary...

The other tests that were done on other cars were at Church's - and one of them at a dyno day with plenty of people there (I wasn't though)...

There are lots of people that have this spacer - they just dont bother to debate in the drama... and I'm not either - it's been beaten to death.
I'm just stating for the record that Tony has chimed in and has flat out said that this TB spacer does not make hp. And he has questioned the validity of church's dyno because of the dyno methods used. If Tony thought it made power, he would be making them. He does not. And to date, Tony is probably THE most subjective and fair person on this forum and Z forums.

Yes, you've heard/read this before. I'm just stating that this is the type of legitimate sources dofu is deferring to in his posts.

Last edited by Jeff92se; 04-14-2010 at 01:40 PM.
Old 04-14-2010 | 01:34 PM
have you done before and after with headers?... with cams they make gains - but I've already stated (with dyno's) that it isn't worth the cost... the difference between my findings and yours is = you get info off forums - I conclude them from trial and error.
Yes, I've done dyno before and after for headers, several intakes, a lot of different plenum mods, exhaust combos, etc... but unlike the majority, I'm not just looking at max gains for horsepower and torque. I bought the parts because I needed a replacement because I broke something, or needed a different fitment, and every now and then because I wanted a different look.

Like I said, I'll present facts, and if someone doesn't want to believe me when I say something is worthless, like I said, it's not my loss.

Look back at older tech threads and see who was taking more heat back in the old alignment threads when everybody believed neg camber was the devil, or the old intake threads when everybody believed the JWT POP or Steallin intake box were must have mods because they made so much power, and ask yourself if I really give a f*ck about what you or anybody else have to say, or if I'm here presenting this just because...

Last edited by dofu; 04-14-2010 at 01:38 PM.
Old 04-14-2010 | 01:40 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
I'm just stating for the record that Tony has chimed in and has flat out said that this TB spacer does not make hp. And he has questioned the validity of church's dyno because of the dyno methods used. If Tony thought it made power, he would be making them. He does not. And to date, Tony is probably THE most subjective and fair person on this forum and Z forums.
really???? when has he said this? Tony and Shawn are good friends and the advertised dynos that Tony uses for his plenum spacers are from Shawns dyno... are you just talking out of you @ss - or do you know something the rest of the world doesn't?

As for the TBS - I'm not going through all the garbage again...

Old 04-14-2010 | 01:42 PM
ask yourself if I really give a f*ck about what you or anybody else have to say,
then why the hell have you responded to every post? (starting with the very first one)...

put your big boy pants on and stop the whining.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Throttle Body Spacer or Vortec Cyclone