Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Throttle Body Spacer or Vortec Cyclone

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 07:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Throttle Body Spacer or Vortec Cyclone

Does anyone have any experience with these? Is it an "either or" situation or can you install both? Do they really increase horse power?

Old 04-10-2010, 07:50 PM
Mr.202?

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts
Vortec Cyclone is 100% scam lol

The TB spacer some people say its good some say its crap

Old 04-10-2010, 08:51 PM
Depressing.

So far I have read that pretty much all of the after market parts that are intended to increase horsepower are ineffective or just plain scams. Are there any out there that someone would endorse? Short of spending 5k on a Super Charger, Twin Turbo or Nitros, sounds like the options are slim for us folks that would like a few few extra horsepower but are on limited budgets.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:05 PM
My suggestion would be intake, headers, high flow cats, and an exhaust bro. They really aren't that expensive and they do yield decent gains for the buck. If you have a rev up engine I suggest the uprev lower intake manifold and a spacer, or upper intake manifold to finish it off. Just my 2 cents.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:07 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Why not both?

Old 04-11-2010, 10:44 PM
Why not both what? I meant both the spacer, or upper manifold and lower spacer. But you can't run the spacer and upper manifold together, and there's not really a point. the spacer does the same thing as an upper manifold. The manifold just costs more, and allows more airflow than the spacer.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:30 AM
Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts
depending on which engine you got, space/mrev2 is the best bang for the money. after that testpipes/highflow cats are probably next and maybe a catback to compliment that. If you have an auto, the grounding kits supposively works well to reduce the shift delay..

Intakes simply look nice and maybe make some noise. Go with z-tube and k&n filter. Headers is 6-8hrs of labor and won't produce much w/o a tune.

Other than that, work on the suspension and nice set of wheels or maybe some exterior upgrades. But engine-wise, you're better off saving money to go big (like a vortech setup which is the most economical)..or you'll waste a lot of money to pretend to go fast.

Old 04-12-2010, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by 350GT_Enthusias
Why not both what? I meant both the spacer, or upper manifold and lower spacer. But you can't run the spacer and upper manifold together, and there's not really a point. the spacer does the same thing as an upper manifold. The manifold just costs more, and allows more airflow than the spacer.
Was I talking to you? Next time you want to spit some info, make sure you have your info correct first -

Originally Posted by 350GT_Enthusias
My suggestion would be intake, headers, high flow cats, and an exhaust bro. They really aren't that expensive and they do yield decent gains for the buck. If you have a rev up engine I suggest the uprev lower intake manifold and a spacer, or upper intake manifold to finish it off. Just my 2 cents.
Headers might give you a few horses, but they aren't worth the money or hassle installing unless you really need or want to squeeze out that one horsepower or so that bad.

The lower plenum is called an MREV, not uprev and it can benifit non revup motors as well, it just won't be making 15 extra lbs of torque to the wheels. The motor was originally coined an uprev which somehow changed to revup, but there is a company out there called UpRev that makes the Osiris.

For bolt on NA, I would suggest a spacer over the upper plenum as too big of an intake plenum can actually make you lose power.

As for the intake itself, the heat soak is not worth the "upgrade".

And I was talking about both the throttle body spacer and the Vortec Cyclone btw...

And to the OP, yes my last post was all sarcasm - don't do it. Neither are worth the time, let alone the money.

Originally Posted by thescreensavers
Vortec Cyclone is 100% scam lol

The TB spacer some people say its good some say its crap
I don't care who says what is good, they're all full of sh*t unless they have real dyno numbers to back it up.

Originally Posted by ratm68
depending on which engine you got, space/mrev2 is the best bang for the money. after that testpipes/highflow cats are probably next and maybe a catback to compliment that. If you have an auto, the grounding kits supposively works well to reduce the shift delay..

Intakes simply look nice and maybe make some noise. Go with z-tube and k&n filter. Headers is 6-8hrs of labor and won't produce much w/o a tune.

Other than that, work on the suspension and nice set of wheels or maybe some exterior upgrades. But engine-wise, you're better off saving money to go big (like a vortech setup which is the most economical)..or you'll waste a lot of money to pretend to go fast.
For the most part, I'd agree, but if you're on a budget, go for the HFC/test pipe. Otherwise, a tune is much more worth it. And another good mod to do without going boost is changing your final drive gear, and if you're auto, a valve body upgrade can be more worth the money.

The stock cat-back exhaust should be able to support up to about 300hp to the wheels without a problem, so if you're on a budget, that's one of the last things you want to think about. And no, your stock G with bolt-ons is putting down nowhere close to that.

If I could only have one mod, it would be a tune. If I couldn't afford the tune, I'd get a plenum spacer for power, and sway bars and struts so my car can actually use what power it already has more efficiently. And yes, I said struts, not springs.

Last edited by dofu; 04-12-2010 at 05:59 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:31 PM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
you jus been DOFU slapped son!!

Old 04-12-2010, 08:46 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
dofu the expert

a forum student that has all the answers

Old 04-12-2010, 08:50 PM
For reals... years of working on cars gave me nothing compared to what I learned on here

Old 04-12-2010, 09:16 PM
mmm hmmm... we've all worked on cars for years...

but the 71 Mustang tear down I did doesn't help me with the G35 and the tinkering on my new 84 Nissan truck doesn't do anything for my G35 knowledge... and the wrenching on 76 280Z doesn't translate to my G and the little (very little) Accura (90 & 91 Integra and Legend) doesn't help me with the G... come to think of it - all the friends cars I've helped with don't translate to me G either... (of course aside from basic maintenance items).

Coincidentally, nothing you posted above about the G could have been determined from working on other cars either - so where do you get all that "knowledge"

Old 04-12-2010, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by OCG35
mmm hmmm... we've all worked on cars for years...
That's great... and yet you've learned nothing from it??? So in other words, you just wasted a whole lot of time...

Originally Posted by OCG35
Coincidentally, nothing you posted above about the G could have been determined from working on other cars either - so where do you get all that "knowledge"
A lift, tools, a Mustang dyno, lots of parts, and more than a little understanding of how these parts work. And lots of time in the twisties and a lot of ***** and not too much sense when I was young because, well... you gotta really drive the car to know if it's improved or not. Having friends that build cars, tune, and teach helped too of course.

Last edited by dofu; 04-12-2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:29 PM
not a helluva lot I learned by working on the cars I mentioned translates to much of what I've used on this car...

and not a lot of what you referenced in you op correlates with anything you've said since then.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:36 PM
You're right, I don't know anything... I shouldn't be stating facts about this car and most of these bolt-ons at all...

Granted, I'm not as knowledgeable as some of the guys on here, but with this car, I've only gone through 3 exhausts, 3 suspensions, a couple test pipes, a set of HFCs, several different size plenum spacers, MREV with and without the spacers, several intakes, and plenty of other cars... not to mention all the parts I've been through with my last cars. And you know what? Ultimately, they are all the same.

Last edited by dofu; 04-12-2010 at 11:32 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Throttle Body Spacer or Vortec Cyclone