Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Gordgee's Grounding Gear-Impressions

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-24-2004, 01:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gordgee's Grounding Gear-Impressions

I've had my new hyperground kit in the car for about 1 1/2 weeks now (thanks Gord!). Here's what I did:

I went for a last drive with my old kit to get impressions before I removed it. I then reset the ECU (battery terminal touch method) and went for another drive to see how much difference it would make (not a whole lot it appears, but this may be due to my usual driving style as I like to run hard for a few minutes at least a few times a week).

Removed the old 6 wire (very popular make) kit from the car and did another ECU reset. Went for another run. Wow, I forgot how much coarser the car feels without the wires! Gas pedal was definitely not as responsive. Seemed to have lost some of that "peppy-ness".

Installed the basic 6 wires from Gord's kit. Went for another test run. Definitely an improvement over the old kit, but not day/night, but a huge improvement over the ungrounded car! Slightly smoother than with the old kit, and the car felt more connected to the gas pedal.

I finally added the remaining 4 wires that I understand Gord pioneered.

MY GOD! Amazing! It felt like the car just woke up from a snooze! Noticeable improvement over the basic 6 wires (especially over the old kit). It felt like I just got one of those really good tune-ups that you sometimes luck into! The car just seemed to be overall more solid feeling and "connected". It's the only way to describe it! There is now an immediacy to the throttle and over-all response that is truly addictive! The shift quality definitely improved (I had the factory re-flash done a while back and I was dissappointed). It now shifts as I believe it should! Still not as good as the BMW Sequential shifter in the M3, but probably as good as it gets without a full re-valve or re-build/design of the transmission.

For those skeptics that believe this is all placebo effect, I feel sorry for you. This truly is the best "Bang-for-your-buck" mod that I've ever done that makes a noticeable difference in day-to-day driving! I don't care if it makes any more horse-power or not. Mods that I've paid triple the price for haven't made as much difference (except sound). Even my wife, who didn't know I was installing Gord's kit, noticed the difference! She told me "Cam, it's great that you finally took the car in for a tune-up or what ever you had done, because the car feels wonderful now!" Even my collegue that I've been trying to convince into buying a G35 noticed!

So in fact, NOT noticing a difference may be in people's heads!

So Gord, I thank-you for your contribution to car enthusiasts everywhere! Now that I have your list of applications (I'm impressed with your R&D on so many different cars!), I'll be sure to give you a bit more business. Even if you can't give the great price you do for G35s!

I just wanted you and some of the others here to know what I thought.

Old 09-24-2004, 01:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Gordgee's Grounding Gear-Impressions

If I can't get my ECU/TCU reflashed with the '05 software or if my Infiniti dealer does it, but it doesn't do anything -- e.g. fix my 5AT's MM upshift problem (not shifting into the next gear when I upshift) and upshift delay, I think Gordgee's Grounding Wire Kit for the G35 5AT may be my next and probably last mod! Thanks ckg35 for your impressions.

2004.5 G35-S 5AT Black/Willow - Prem, R. Spoiler, Navi, Sport Wheels, Alum. Pedals, Tint, Z Tube, K&N, Coupe Midpipe<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by bsgoren on 09/24/04 10:59 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 09-24-2004, 02:49 PM

ckg35

I've had similar results from Gordgee's 10-wire GroundGear Kit on my 03 "Beta Tester" AT Sedan.

DaveO
03 G35 AT Sedan / DP / Willow / Premium / Sport / Aero / Mods / 262 & 260.7

Old 09-24-2004, 03:37 PM

Same here - 10 wire beta tester with so many good results I stopped counting. Going to the loaner from your car is also a great indicator of the worthiness. Not to mention all the race teams Gord had wires in. yeah they can't tell - they just want to look cool and add weight.

"So in fact, NOT noticing a difference may be in people's heads! " You got it and even if it worked for them big ego's or overly opinionated comments keep subsequent objective comments from ever coming into play.

2003.5 DP 5AT Sedan
14.2 @ 97.18
Z-Tube
K&N Drop In & Airbox Mod
10 Wire Hyper-Ground
Crawford Plenum (V4)
UR Crank Pulley
Hotchkis Sways (M/M)
Polk EX-3500 Tweeters/Shock Sensor/H-Liner

Old 09-24-2004, 10:17 PM

Dynos please.
I'm sorry but you've got to be joking. I've never heard so much fluff in one comment. I've got wires and can feel nothing. They may add something but nowhere have I seen it verified.

Old 09-25-2004, 07:33 AM

They are on this site - search

2003.5 DP 5AT Sedan
14.2 @ 97.18
Z-Tube
K&N Drop In & Airbox Mod
10 Wire Hyper-Ground
Crawford Plenum (V4)
UR Crank Pulley
Hotchkis Sways (M/M)

Old 09-25-2004, 02:39 PM
Devil's Advocate

I installed a different makers kit. The car does seem to idle smoother, and the auto shifts seem to be a little crisper, but that's about it. I haven't noticed any increase in power.

Ivory Coupe 5AT
Z tube, K&N drop in.
Fujitsubo Catback

Old 09-25-2004, 07:28 PM

Is it safe to make the following assumptions:

1. Everyone experiencing the added benefit from the grounding wires is running with an automatic transmission?

2. The difference noticed is that the car "shifts" smoother, faster, and/or better?

Also, I'd like for someone to help me understand how a car being grounded can help it to shift better? (No sarcasm at all, I'm 100% serious, There HAS to be something going on if there are sooo many people saying the kit is beneficial). What electronic components in the car are actually being assisted by the grounding wires to make the shifting better and do the grounding wires attach directly to the electrical components housing?

Old 09-25-2004, 10:34 PM
Devil's Advocate

My tranny does seem to respond faster when I shift in manumatic mode. It doesn't seem to be any smoother.

My best guess is that it reduces noise on whatever signals travel back and forth from the ECU to the card that actually handles the auto transmission (the actual name of it eludes me). There can't be any physical benefit to the tranny, just electronic. I don't think that it has anything to do with reducing a voltage drop. Noise seems far more plausible to me.

I imagine the same may go for everything else electronic in the car.

Ivory Coupe 5AT
Z tube, K&N drop in.
Fujitsubo Catback

Old 09-26-2004, 12:11 AM

so where do i get these wires?

Old 09-26-2004, 02:15 AM
Devil's Advocate

You can PM Gordgee and he'll send you info on how to purchase his kits.

I bought a kit from this guy because the price was right. Quality was pretty good and he ships very fast.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...sPageName=WDVW

There is also a Stillen kit available

http://www.stillen.com/Sportscars_de...d=43177&page=1

and a Nismo

http://www.performancenissanparts.co...roducts_id=667

I'm sure that there are more out there as well.

Ivory Coupe 5AT
Z tube, K&N drop in.
Fujitsubo Catback

Old 09-26-2004, 11:51 AM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Dynos please.
I'm sorry but you've got to be joking. I've never heard so much fluff in one comment. They may add something but nowhere have I seen it verified.

<hr></blockquote>
Manufacturer’s dynos should always be viewed with some suspicion. Here are the results of my own testing which I initially did for my own interests, not for commercial purposes. However, I was later challenged with strict criteria, and I ran a second set and did a detailed analysis. I know it may not convince some, but most were satisfied with the validity of the results.

Compiled GroundingGear™ Dyno Data Thread

There are numerous magazines that have done extensive dyno pulls over the past 2 years and if I can find the articles, I’ll post them for information. (Permission for reproduction was requested, and is currently pending)

I've got wires and can feel nothing.

<hr></blockquote>
Feedback from others, and observation has shown that not all H-G kits are created equally. I’ve had several ppl change over to GroundingGear™ from other makes for various reasons, and some report that both kits are equally as effective as the basic set-up, however differences are noted with the additional wires which I’ve developed. Others, like CKG35 note slight improvements, even with the basic change-over. The only explanation that I have for this is the differences in material or construction methods. Audiophiles will tell you that they can definitely hear the differences in different speaker wires and inter-connects. I believe that the ‘braided strand’ wires work slightly better than the ‘rope twist’ constructed wires. Others know my reasons for not using gold plated lugs. I’ve always advised ppl to at least try an H-G kit, whether it be mine or another, hoping that they’d benefit from the kit. Price has to be your guide for a purchase decision. Some go with a big brand name at higher price and some will look for the cheapest. All I’ll say is that price and reputation aren’t always reliable indicators of effectiveness. There is only one maker to which I will refer clients to if I can’t supply them with mine.

Is it safe to make the following assumptions:

1. Everyone experiencing the added benefit from the grounding wires is running with an automatic transmission?

2. The difference noticed is that the car "shifts" smoother, faster, and/or better?

Also, I'd like for someone to help me understand how a car being grounded can help it to shift better? (No sarcasm at all, I'm 100% serious, There HAS to be something going on if there are sooo many people saying the kit is beneficial). What electronic components in the car are actually being assisted by the grounding wires to make the shifting better and do the grounding wires attach directly to the electrical components housing?

<hr></blockquote>

My R&D and feedback has been about equal with both Auto trannies and Manual trannies. The reports of improved engine smoothness and throttle response seem to be fairly consistent with both, however, since the AT equipped vehicles seem to get some other benefits (shift quality, etc.), they may derive additional benefits, so the added effects can be more dramatic. This is the reason that I started doing R&D rather than simply reproducing the kits everyone else was putting out.

Also, attaching wires to random points doesn’t seem to be effective. Some have attached up to 14 wires on the G35, with little to no difference. Some seem to work best in combination with other wires as a system, and yes the specific components grounded factor into the equation. Again, the reason for costly R&D.

The effect seems to vary slightly depending on the car or driving habits as well. Read the Sept 24th Post to see what I mean.

My Electrical Engineers tell me that where car manufacturers fall short is that despite increasing reliance on sensors and computers in automobiles, they haven't focused on signal grounding to any significant extent other than adding a few extra wires here and there. Cars have always been electrically grounded, and while it’s true that there is little difference in terms of voltage drop, etc. unless the car’s wires are corroded or loose, it’s the quality of the signal information that is of prime importance. Again, Audiophiles spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars on speaker wire and interconnects believing they can hear the difference.

I just updated my Hyper-Ground FAQ to reflect the latest information and theory.

I bought a kit from this guy because the price was right. Quality was pretty good and he ships very fast.

<hr></blockquote>
I’m glad you had a good experience with this kit. Posts here on G35Driver last year about his kits created quite a bit of controversy, and was one reason that I decided not to link any sources other than the well known manufacturers on the Resource Threads. Your other links are also on the Resource Threads along with a few others.

<font color=blue>[i]GroundingGear™ Equipped </font color=blue>

Old 09-27-2004, 07:23 AM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Gord,

My 2003 5AT was in the shop the other day for an oil change
and to chase down a squeek in the suspension before I had
my new/used sport tunded suspension installed. I got a
2004 loner with a 5AT that shifted way different than mine.
It automatically shifted into 1st when the car stopped and did
not downshift from the chosen gear. I noticed that my car
starts so much quicker than the loner. The two ECU and TCU
wires really made my sedan stand apart from the loner!
I had to pay my dealer to reflash the Transmission control
software to the latest version. It cost me $100 to get them
to do it. My 5AT is a beast now. I just wanted to say that
my car is sooo different in the way it starts with the added
two wires. When I turn the key, the engine immediatly
jumps to life. In the loner, I had to hold the key and listen
the engine actually turn a couple of times.

03 5AT Sedan, sunroof, splashguards, HKS muffler,
14 wire Grounding kit, Z Duct, Stillen HF/AB
Underbody rear diffusers, Drilled alum pedals,
Stillen sway bars S/H Sport Tuned Suspension

Old 09-27-2004, 10:48 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

cato;
After the TCU reflash does your MM work like the '04 now?
I understood that it was a different TCU that downshifted automatically.

<font color=blue>04 Silverstone G35, 5AT, Prem, Aero
ES100 225/45-18 front 245/40-18 rear
HKS & Y-pipe, Z-tube, Eibach, 35%Tints</font color=blue>

Old 09-27-2004, 02:14 PM

Yeah Cato - more comments on the 04 reflash please! You don't have an 03.5 do you?

2003.5 DP 5AT Sedan
14.2 @ 97.18
Z-Tube
K&N Drop In & Airbox Mod
10 Wire Hyper-Ground
Crawford Plenum (V4)
UR Crank Pulley
Hotchkis Sways (M/M)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Gordgee's Grounding Gear-Impressions