Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

idle shut down after new airfilter + ecu reset.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 10:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a similar problem and I hope this helps them...

I did not have any warning lights turn ON, which was very odd. But here is what happen... Recently my RPM would drop close to zero when the car was hot AND I was trying to start it up. When I say hot, I mean like if I were driving and the temp gauge would be in the center, which is the normal operating temperature. The past couple weeks it would get close to zero, but it would still start up. Yesterday, it went to zero and died. I tried pressing the accelerator while turning the key, but it wasn't working. Since I knew about this problem I let it cool for 30 mins and it started up.

In summary: If you drive for 5 minutes, then turn the car OFF and ON, it will stall while starting back up. So that describes my problem. Now on to the fix...

I searched these forums, and people said to clean the Mass Air Flow sensor or the Throttle Body. I took out the MAF and it was pretty clean, but I still cleaned it with the MAF cleaner. Since I was an idiot, I took out the whole intake just to take the MAF out. I didn't know you could unplug the harness from the MAF. While the intake was out I looked at the TB and it was in BAD shape. There was a good amount of build up. I took the TB out, and cleaned it. I still couldn't get it 100% clean. My hands were tired! I had to use a toothbrush to get the oil and dirt out, but there was still some left. I let it dry for like 30 mins and put everything back in.

The intake tube was 100% clean, no dirt at all. So I'm guessing the previous owner put in a new intake but didn't get the TB cleaned. Anyways, I started my car up and drove for 5 mins to get the temp up to normal operating. I got back to my house, and I turned it OFF, then ON again. It started up quickly without any problems. YAY!

It took me 2 hours, but it may take you less. Taking out the intake was a bitch and putting it back in was twice the bitch. But I saved a crap load of $$$ by doing it myself.

Costs:

MAF cleaner: $6.99
TB cleaner: $3.99
Security bit TORX: $9.99 -- To remove the MAF
Labor: 2hrs @ $0.00
Total cost: $20.97 + TAX

All of these items were purchased at AutoZone.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Read all the replies to the DIY on cleaning the TB. They mention that you shouldn't disconnect the harness from the TB, but you have to because the TB cleaner will state that you shouldn't spray it on plastic or paint. One of the replies tells you the disconnect the negative terminal on the battery and then you can disconnect the TB. I did that and didn't have any problem starting the car up after everything was put back in.