Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Does Motordyne Plenum Spacer 5/16 increase HP?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 09:53 AM
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
didn't know sh!.t about plenum spacers before reading through this thread, now i know everything about it! lol. great thread for someone like me... i don't know why i didn't get this first.. getting a osiris tuner also. does the UpRev Cipher Data & Diagnostics Cable included on the UpRev Osiris Tuner - Live ECU ROM Editor?

im a bit confused on this....
https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-...ris-deals.html

Old 03-22-2012, 12:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
plenum ?

Originally Posted by Silencer_0
^Basically, the 5/16" is more for low-mid rpm power, and the 1/2" is more for mid-high rpms. But the 1/2" makes a little more total power than the 5/16", and is a little louder. Since my daily commute is mostly city driving, I spend all my time in the low-mid rpms, that's why I have the 5/16" spacer.
I have a 04 at coupe fully stock except for the injen intake i just put in yay :-) So now i wanna get a motordyne spacer. Which size should i get? 1/2 or 5/16? Im in So. Cal so the Iso is cool right? or is the iso copper "set it and forget it" better? One last thing, is it ok to run the spacer and intake i just got on a stock exhaust? thx Mods are addicting lol

Last edited by g35nit; 03-22-2012 at 01:07 AM.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:30 AM
Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by g35nit
I have a 04 at coupe fully stock except for the injen intake i just put in yay :-) So now i wanna get a motordyne spacer. Which size should i get? 1/2 or 5/16? Im in So. Cal so the Iso is cool right? or is the iso copper "set it and forget it" better? One last thing, is it ok to run the spacer and intake i just got on a stock exhaust? thx Mods are addicting lol
Well like I explained in my post you quoted, it really depends on what RPM's you do most your driving in. If you like to rev high and do mostly highway driving, get the 1/2". If you care more about low end power and do mostly city driving, get the 5/16".

You'll be fine with the ISO. Just install the Coolant Control Valve it comes with, set it to closed, and you never have to touch it again, doesn't get cold enough here in SoCal to need to have it open. Yes, you're fine running those mods together.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thx a lot man big help. Do u happen to know when the long beach meet is? I know its coming but dont know what exact day.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:37 PM
Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts
It hasn't been planned yet, that I know of.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:32 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey just saw this thread and I have a question. I actually move around quite a bit. Sometimes I'm in very cold German and UK weather and sometimes in in very hot middle eastern weather. If I get the copper plenum spacer, will I be covered on both ends weather wise? Also it seems that most people get the 5/16 spacer...is there a reason this seems to be more popular than the 1/2 inch? Also, it was explained that if you get the 1/2 its more for highway performance and the 5/16 is more for low end and for city driving. Does that mean if I get the 5/16 that my highway driving performance will decrease? I plan on running this with a Z-tube and OEM rev-up intake box so hopefully that will be a good combo. Thanks for your help.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a question. I have a 2003 5AT Coupe with 89k miles it is stock except for a ztube.....so I just need the 5/16 plenum...I live in missouri so do I need to worry about copper or not?

My biggest concern is the install...I do basic stuff on cars change brakes/intake/oil/filters etc....but have never been inside the engine...would this be an install that I can do myself? a good DIY or video link would be great!

thanks

Old 03-22-2012, 03:19 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by tibasnatch
I have a question. I have a 2003 5AT Coupe with 89k miles it is stock except for a ztube.....so I just need the 5/16 plenum...I live in missouri so do I need to worry about copper or not?

My biggest concern is the install...I do basic stuff on cars change brakes/intake/oil/filters etc....but have never been inside the engine...would this be an install that I can do myself? a good DIY or video link would be great!

thanks
Im in Missouri as well, st louis. Im about to pick up the copper one so i dont have to worry about the valve.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:59 PM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

thanks
Use Youtube, there's a great video or two there, easy to follow.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:13 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
The install is pretty straight forward, simply remove the upper plenum and note which bolts were pulled out of where. The bolts that come in the kit are slightly longer but basically look the same as OEM. I disconnected the plug for the throttle body to make the installation a little easier, ensure you disconnect the battery first so you won't have to manually reset the ECU/TB......etc. It is not hard, just tedious. Give yourself a few hours to work on it and make sure you have the few tools required. DO NOT over-torque any bolts!!!

Old 03-22-2012, 06:34 PM
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
How long does the battery have to be disconnected for the ECU to be reset? Does this eliminate the pedal hacking method? I've read in some places that disconecting the battery resets the ECU, and I've read in other places that it doesn't. This debate been settled yet?

Old 03-22-2012, 06:44 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
Originally Posted by That's G
How long does the battery have to be disconnected for the ECU to be reset? Does this eliminate the pedal hacking method? I've read in some places that disconecting the battery resets the ECU, and I've read in other places that it doesn't. This debate been settled yet?
I don't know what the exact time is but mine is usually disconnected for at least 20 minutes and I never have an issue.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is this the one I need to buy copper?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MOTORDYN...item3cc3f78159

do u know if this is everything I need except for tools?

or is there a better place to buy?

Old 03-22-2012, 09:47 PM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts
That's it. eBay is the cheapest I found unless you live near motordynes facility.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:48 AM
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
Does the Z and the G take the same spacer?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Does Motordyne Plenum Spacer 5/16 increase HP?